Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863686 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 3/6/12 see first post)
« Reply #1335 on: March 08, 2012, 01:47:31 am »

Actually, I'm following the thread rather closely and have read it all, however I haven't seen the two agree about getting their stuff merged.

I just think it looks silly to have these two versions flying about when they should work together for a better piece of software all around.

I mean sure, I might sound totally unreasonable and crazy, knowing nothing about software development and coding, in which case feel free to ignore me, but don't make assumptions about what I've read or haven't when my question obviously isn't answered.

Dwarf Engineer has mentioned on more than one occasion in this thread that he is considering merging changes from other versions into the official version. Originally, when 0.34 came out, it wasn't even clear if DE was around to update, and so several people with a little know how grabbed the code and started hacking away. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to coordinate multiple people with conflicting time schedules working on a single software project, so people generally muck around in their own version and then share their progress with others. Once a change is made by someone, they can share the steps they took, making it easier to add to the main version. Many hands makes light work as they say, and without the extra hands it probably would have taken DE alot longer than it did to get to the current version.

As far as the main community should be concerned, there is still just the one main version of DT, and it's been working great for me so far.

Does that answer your question?

Edit: not trying to be sarcastic / feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:57:10 am by schismatise »

DVeL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 2/29/12 see first post)
« Reply #1336 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:38 am »

i've uploaded another patch with the following changes:
  • modified the attributes as per chrisadams3997 observations and they should work with all drawing types. to summarize:
    • values below average are red, and the farther below the larger they'll be (ie very good = black diamond, very bad = red diamond)
    • average values are no longer drawn to keep things clean
    • values range from -15 to 15, 0 being the average to keep the drawing consistent and obvious when using the numeric display
  • i've noticed a lot of people don't appreciate hunting vampires so i've added an option to highlight them under the general options. this will also add a description of what exactly they're cursed with at the bottom of the tooltip. note this will work for all curses.
  • hostile cursed dwarves on the map are excluded now (looking at you profane husks...)
  • added the preliminary files for 34.05 (incomplete)

download

source

splinterz, your job is great and this vampire-hunter feature is awesome! But i have one question - why did you add in last version this "not flimsy but not tough" or "average endurance" descriptors to attributes in "dwarf detail"s screen? When average values had no comments, it was much easier to spot dwarfs weaknesses and strengths (The same reason why chrisadams3997 suggested to change the view of "attributes" panel).
And now this comments are long, bold and draw attention from what actually matters. Now i have to READ them all, instead of only the important ones =)
And the best solution, i think, would be to remove this comments from average attributes and display them just as a number (like it was in your 5 version), and give high and low attributes description in corresponding color (black or red, like diamonds).
This would make Therapist almost perfect.
But anyway, thank you for your work! =)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1337 on: March 08, 2012, 06:39:14 am »

splinterz, your job is great and this vampire-hunter feature is awesome! But i have one question - why did you add in last version this "not flimsy but not tough" or "average endurance" descriptors to attributes in "dwarf detail"s screen? When average values had no comments, it was much easier to spot dwarfs weaknesses and strengths (The same reason why chrisadams3997 suggested to change the view of "attributes" panel).
And now this comments are long, bold and draw attention from what actually matters. Now i have to READ them all, instead of only the important ones =)
And the best solution, i think, would be to remove this comments from average attributes and display them just as a number (like it was in your 5 version), and give high and low attributes description in corresponding color (black or red, like diamonds).

thanks and the descriptions on the average attributes will be removed in the next patch. i spent so much time crafting those beautiful descriptions i wanted to savor them a little while longer...or i may have forgotten to remove them.. ;) in the meantime, you can remove them yourself by editing the /etc/game_data.ini file and changing the offending descriptions to whatever you'd like.

DVeL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:23 am »

thanks and the descriptions on the average attributes will be removed in the next patch. i spent so much time crafting those beautiful descriptions i wanted to savor them a little while longer...or i may have forgotten to remove them.. ;) in the meantime, you can remove them yourself by editing the /etc/game_data.ini file and changing the offending descriptions to whatever you'd like.

Yeaah!! I was almost torn apart between vamp-detector and preferable design =)
You are a life-saver =)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:39 am »

anyone know why the post on page 89 with an update for 34.05 is showing up in my windows df as -1 and 9000+ for attributes?

Update:
I think the poster ron 89 doesn't support attributes
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:01:12 am by thistleknot »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:06 am »

Could you provide more options in terms of how DT names custom professions? That is, ATM it simply gives everyone the profession name that you called your custom profession. I'd like to be able to not change any of their name stuff and merely change the labours, or change their nickname instead (I like using nicknames as it makes finding them easier), that sort of thing.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1341 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:25 pm »

anyone know why the post on page 89 with an update for 34.05 is showing up in my windows df as -1 and 9000+ for attributes?

Update:
I think the poster ron 89 doesn't support attributes

if you used the posted layouts from DwarfEngineer with the attribute build, you'll probably run into issues. either re-download or copy/paste from the source's ini files.

Could you provide more options in terms of how DT names custom professions? That is, ATM it simply gives everyone the profession name that you called your custom profession. I'd like to be able to not change any of their name stuff and merely change the labours, or change their nickname instead (I like using nicknames as it makes finding them easier), that sort of thing.

so you'd like to have the option when applying custom professions to copy the custom name to the nickname, to the profession nickname, or not at all? i'm not sure how useful this would be since you can already accomplish it by setting the profession, and then changing the profession name / nickname, albeit it's a few more steps. maybe a few more people will chime in on whether this would be practical feature to add.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:52 pm »

I was using clubfoots ini on pg 89, I realized I shouldn't have done that when I read there were multiple versions on this forum, so I'm going to use dwarf engineers again when I get home.

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »

I am, indeed, unsuccessful w/ the osx version.

Here's a new OSX beta version. Should fix the double icon issue, and the automatic download issue.

Dwarf Therapist OSX Beta (64-bit) v0.6.12b04
Current Dwarf Therapist Maintainer - Tips

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »

What does it look like when it highlights a vamp?  'Cuz I have that enabled, and 126 dorfs, and noone's highlighted....

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 08, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »

v0.34.05 Layouts Posted

Layouts are posted for all 3 operating systems and should download automatically.
There might be a slight issue with OSX however, so I may have to post a new beta version for that.

Direct Download Links:

Using these layouts (dwarf engineer's) in 34.05 for windows I get this issue, I'm not going to go to 34.05 until I can get Dwarf Therapist working along with dfhack and phoebus.  I have 2 out of 3, but I have yet to get dwarf therapist to show attributes properly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:46:08 pm by thistleknot »

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:24 pm »

Using these layouts (dwarf engineer's)

-snip-

I have yet to get dwarf therapist to show attributes properly.

^ There's your problem.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg3069186#msg3069186

^ There's your solution.

Hope that helps.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 08, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »

Using these layouts (dwarf engineer's)

-snip-

I have yet to get dwarf therapist to show attributes properly.

^ There's your problem.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg3069186#msg3069186

^ There's your solution.

Hope that helps.
[
I'm a little confused.  I'm not sure which one is msg3069186.  The layouts that Dwarf Engineer posted are the ones I used, that's why I quoted him when I posted the picture.  Unless your talking about using splinterz.

Well.  I already had splinterz downloaded.  but for some reason, the new layouts they posted didn't work with dwarf engineer's release of dt.  so I re-downloaded splinterz, extracted it, and used the layout it already had (I don't know why I was replacing the layout in the first place, I guess I forgot it already had 34.05). Anyways, using the one posted in splinterz, it's up and working right.

So thank you.

Update:
Nevermind.  I don't know why people were posting 34.05 ini's that were not compatible with SPLINTERZ dwarf therapist link.  Unless there's a reason for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:45:18 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:03 pm »

There's a problem with dwarf therapist from splinterz.  When I go to grid views and try to create some custom views.  I choose willpower for example, and it shows up as social awareness, it's workable, but a pain.  There apparently mislabeled in grid views.

linguistics = memory
focus = creativity
empathy = willpower
kinesthetic sense = patience
linguistic ability = memory
memory = linguistic ability
musicality = spacial sense
patience = musicalithy
social awareness = kinesthetic sense
spatial sense = empathy
willpower = social awareness

Update
As a side note, it would be nice to be able to create our own custom columns.  I was hoping to create a close combat grid view based on DGC, which I was able to do.  I added recuperation as well as disease susceptibility.  But what would be cool is if I could create my own variable that has the average of all those stats.  The closest thing I can do is create a script, but I have to set a threshold.  I can see what the averages are (not without DGC).

Update 2
Here's a weighted script I was working on

(((d.strength()*1.2)+(d.agility()*1.2)+(d.toughness()*1.3)+(d.willpower()*.7)+(d.spatial_sense()*1.1)+(d.kinesthetic_sense()*.9)+(d.recuperation()*.8)+(d.disease_resistance()*.8))/8)>1300

note: those smiley's are x.8
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:52:27 pm by thistleknot »

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:27 pm »

-snip-

Various members of the community, such as splinterz, have compiled their own "unofficial" versions of DT, seperate to the main release by Dwarf Engineer. I doubt layouts from one version are going to work with other versions. Bear in mind that any versions of DT that aren't released by Dwarf Engineer are potentially more likely to contain broken or incomplete features, and are not necessarily going to be supported or updated on any kind of regular basis. Personally i would suggest just waiting until the main version incorporates the changes of other versions, but if you're impatient then feel free to muck around with things, and i'm sure splinterz, and others, are open to feedback on their particular changes/versions.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 192