Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863763 times)

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 2/29/12 see first post)
« Reply #1290 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »

Hi, I'm testing the latest posted mac version, from this thread. (0.6.12b03). Some observations:

Bug:Labels "Construct ?? Crutch (208)" instead of "Clean Self"
As stated before-has two icons- though every mac version I've seen has this.
As opposed to other versions, does not appear to slow DF for the next unpausing after a write- much quicker.
The interface is not perfectly responsive, though still very usable.
Bug:The grid view editor works well, though the attributes (strength, agility, etc) all appear as unknown (-1).
Bug?: The filter dwarves box doesn't appear to do very much, apart from show a hanging filtered list. Expected behavior would be to highlight the selected dwarf.

It appears very stable, having run continuously for over 8 hours (~220 dwarves) with no loss of function.
I'll continue 'testing' and will report back anything else relevant.

Thanks for making all the effort to support OSX, by the way. This is awesome! :)
I'll second that!

Very impressive, no serious bugs found, a great tool to use!
Thanks very much for the report, glad to hear that it's at least workable.

Also, linux support should be back. I'll for sure try to keep packages up to date for the latest Ubuntu release & LTS release. I'll look into adding debian again at some point as well.
The mac mini is definitely being put to good use - I have automated builds setup for OSX & linux now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current plan is:
  • Slight hiatus
  • Bugfix release
  • Feature releases
Of course, I'll continue to try to provide layouts ASAP for new releases.
Current Dwarf Therapist Maintainer - Tips

ClubFoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:08 pm »

1. I'm an unusual OSX user in that my main login account is not an administrator. So when something needs admin access, I have to type in the admin's name and password. For some reason, Therapist asks for admin access every time I launch it, so I am having to enter the admin name and password each time. I can live with that, but it's unusual for a program to do that.

I expect there's no getting around that.  Consider what DT does - it reads, then modifies, the working memory of _some other program_.  That's generally a highly questionable thing for an application to do.  OSX notices this, and insists on getting admin access for DT so it knows you know enough about the system you're on to allow it to do that.  Honestly, it's good behavior on the part of an OS.

ClubFoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:14 am »

I think I was making this harder than it needed to be. One more try -
Dwarf Therapist OSX 0.6.12b03

I'll work on the universal version - I don't know that I'll really be able to test it though.

It appears that profession changes are not working.  The existing professions of dwarves are correctly displayed.  Enabling/disabling labors either singly or by selecting a 'profession' toggles the labors correctly.  The profession names are not updated, however,

benloran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 05, 2012, 12:56:46 am »

I expect there's no getting around that.  Consider what DT does - it reads, then modifies, the working memory of _some other program_.  That's generally a highly questionable thing for an application to do.  OSX notices this, and insists on getting admin access for DT so it knows you know enough about the system you're on to allow it to do that.  Honestly, it's good behavior on the part of an OS.

That's an excellent point, and I hadn't really thought about it before, but it makes perfect sense.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1294 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:41 am »

I just wanted to second chrisadam3997's observations. After using the newest attribute enabled DT, like was said, the fact everyone has some sort of attribute makes the display used much less useful. With chrisadam3997's color inclusions, it's about 25% more readable immediately.

I'd suggest using a larger color scale. It may end up looking like rainbow vomit, but it might be worth a try.

So hot = low, cool = high.

Red - Lowest
Yellow - Below Average
Green - Average
Blue  - Above Average
Black - Exceptional

There might be some benefit in investigating a totally different view for attributes. Like, a histogram would be freaking amazing. Better if we were to, say, double click on a dwarf entry and get a re-sizable window for them displaying a histogram of that dwarf's attributes. Actually, it would work smashingly for traits as well, especially if you could mouse over each entry in the histogram and get DF's text description of their trait value. While not necessary, it would preserve the flavor in the current trait view, where it gives you a number and a description.

I appreciate that's probably a fair amount of work for something as non-essential to DT as attributes and traits.

just for fun i did this by modifying the existing fill box to fill from the bottom instead, the results were as you described...

raainnnnbooowwwwvommmiiittt bahahaha

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 05, 2012, 08:31:44 am »

I think I was making this harder than it needed to be. One more try -
Dwarf Therapist OSX 0.6.12b03

I'll work on the universal version - I don't know that I'll really be able to test it though.

It appears that profession changes are not working.  The existing professions of dwarves are correctly displayed.  Enabling/disabling labors either singly or by selecting a 'profession' toggles the labors correctly.  The profession names are not updated, however,
Yeah, that's an outstanding issue with linux as well. Basically it has to do with no memory being allocated where therapist can stick the nickname / custom profession name. I'm still looking into options for this, but it will probably (unfortunately) involve code injection or something to that effect.

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:24 am »

Yeah, that's an outstanding issue with linux as well. Basically it has to do with no memory being allocated where therapist can stick the nickname / custom profession name. I'm still looking into options for this, but it will probably (unfortunately) involve code injection or something to that effect.

I've been running on linux with the patches I posted here for months without any problems:

http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/detail?id=175

Yes, it is code injection, but you only need to inject 3 bytes to do a controlled mmap syscall. Of course, this is completely linux-specific.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »

I just wanted to second chrisadam3997's observations. After using the newest attribute enabled DT, like was said, the fact everyone has some sort of attribute makes the display used much less useful. With chrisadam3997's color inclusions, it's about 25% more readable immediately.

I'd suggest using a larger color scale. It may end up looking like rainbow vomit, but it might be worth a try.

So hot = low, cool = high.

Red - Lowest
Yellow - Below Average
Green - Average
Blue  - Above Average
Black - Exceptional

There might be some benefit in investigating a totally different view for attributes. Like, a histogram would be freaking amazing. Better if we were to, say, double click on a dwarf entry and get a re-sizable window for them displaying a histogram of that dwarf's attributes. Actually, it would work smashingly for traits as well, especially if you could mouse over each entry in the histogram and get DF's text description of their trait value. While not necessary, it would preserve the flavor in the current trait view, where it gives you a number and a description.

I appreciate that's probably a fair amount of work for something as non-essential to DT as attributes and traits.

just for fun i did this by modifying the existing fill box to fill from the bottom instead, the results were as you described...

raainnnnbooowwwwvommmiiittt bahahaha

Yeah, that doesn't look good at all :P I don't think a histo view would work on that page (as a single page dedicated to one dwarf, it would be readable.)

However trying colors with the symbol sizes *might* be readable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 05, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

You have my unmeasurable gratitude for a linux version. Some feedback:

• For some reason, launching Therapist with cd /path/; sudo ./DwarfTherapist works, while sudo /path/DwarfTherapist doesn't
  • Changing dwarf's professions from Therapist doesn't work. Change is completed without errors, but profession remains the same. Reading professions from DF works correctly.
(Therapist version is 0.6.12, build from source; Linux version is Kubuntu 11.10)

But those are more an annoyance than real problem. Thanks again for a great program.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 05, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

You have my unmeasurable gratitude for a linux version. Some feedback:

• For some reason, launching Therapist with cd /path/; sudo ./DwarfTherapist works, while sudo /path/DwarfTherapist doesn't
  • Changing dwarf's professions from Therapist doesn't work. Change is completed without errors, but profession remains the same. Reading professions from DF works correctly.
(Therapist version is 0.6.12, build from source; Linux version is Kubuntu 11.10)

But those are more an annoyance than real problem. Thanks again for a great program.
Yeah, DT is pretty picky about its path, kind of an annoyance. As far as writing profession names, you could try merging in Ag's patch that he mentions above and seeing if it works. I'll be doing the same at some point, and hopefully incorporating it back into the main release.
With Kubuntu you might be able to just pull the package from the repository, but I'm not sure - I'll have to fire up another VM and give it a shot.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »

I have noticed that nicknames sometimes vanish. I assigned nicknames to my all members of my hammerdwarf squad (lacking imagination I just called them all "hammer" to be able to filter them out from civilian duties easier). After a while only 3 of 10 would still have that nickname, it vanished on the others.

Now what happened in-game was quite a lot... I put them through danger room training which made all of them legendary hammerlords quite soon. And after a few sieges some (but not all) of them got additional titles. So I´m not sure if it´s DF which clears the nicknames after promotion (recruit -> hammerdwarf -> hammerlord) or the additional title after lots of kills or whatever. Just wanted to mention that it happened and might be a thing worth looking into.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 05, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »

Seems to happen mostly when a dwarf kills - you'll notice it on frequent tantrumers too if they strike someone down.  You can name them via DF's naming interface to have a permanent nickname.  A tad annoying, but you should only really have to do so for your military dwarves, and a macro will help a lot.

Darmarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 05, 2012, 02:55:01 pm »

For some reason, launching Therapist with cd /path/; sudo ./DwarfTherapist works, while sudo /path/DwarfTherapist doesn't[/li][/list]

When DT launch, it tries to access an etc folder under your current path, not under where the binary is. There's probably a simple fix to this... or you could create a simple shell script that ensure that you are in the proper directory when you launch DT, like so:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
DIR=`dirname $0`
cd "$DIR"
PWDP=`pwd -P`
cd "$PWDP"
sudo ./DwarfTherapist
put that in the DT executable folder and call that script instead and everything should be fine.

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:32 am »

Toady is getting good at releasing new versions about 15 minutes after I get to work >.<
I'll post layouts this afternoon.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:13 am »

did you think for the averageness about that modded civs may have other averages?
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 192