Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 864284 times)

stevedore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.10 3/15/11 see first post)
« Reply #840 on: February 15, 2012, 01:27:37 am »

I believe happiness is 0x082c and current job is 0x030c. I am working on some of the rest, I will keep posting what I find as well

Those two look good to me, they stand against a bit of testing.

I'm going to try to figure souls out, if I can. No luck on it, gotta get to bed. Good luck for anyone continuing after me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:51:25 am by stevedore »

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:07 am »

Edit: I got enabled labours working. Here's my v0.34.01_graphics.ini file, it will give what I would call a very basic level of actual functionality to DT - you can manage your dwarves' enabled labours, at least, though you cannot see their skill level, current job, or happiness

So, do I need the legacy.ini file settings for 34.01 to get the graphics.ini to work, or will it be fine without the legacy.ini file ?

Will creating a new file named correctly give us a working Dwarf Therapist for assigning tasks ?

My experience with this was copying/pasting some code about a year ago to get 31.21 to work the day of the release.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:05 am »

Looking good guys!

Unfortunately my programming skills are confined to PHP/SQL etc. However, i do have one small thing to offer. I humbly present:

DWARF THERAPIST THERAPIST: HOW TO MANAGE WITHOUT DWARF THERAPIST

Yes, it really is possible! Before i knew about DT, i had a fort with well over 200 dwarves using this method!

Step 1 - Deal with every new migrant immediately - that is, the moment they hit the map, you're already pressing "v". In fact, you're so fast, your cursor is already hovering over the very tile they entered on (so you don't lose track of them).

Step 2 - Assign them a permanent job (military career counts as a "job" :D), based on a) how many people are doing that job already and b) what they're good at, and then never touch them again! Avoid the temptation to make that recently arrived grand master woodcrafter into a woodworker when you already have 7 others doing it, and not a tree left on the map. Sorry Urist McElfShapedIncenseHolder, now you're a miner. Hope you like black lung!

Step 3 - Use profession nicknames to keep track of their job - assign it the moment you decide what their job is, and then assign them the labours that belong to that job. Try not to have too many different job types (bonus points if most of the labours are in the same category for easy shift+enter enabling), and make sure your workers will have plenty to do. Don't worry if their skills lie elsewhere, they will get good at their new job in time. The less other jobs they have, the better they will get - you can use this concept to control quality of goods, eg. if you want really good beds, have your carpenters doing little else other than carpentry. Don't do this too much though, or your workers will spend lots of time idle. Which brings me to the final step:

Step 4 - Priorite ease-of-use over dwarvenly efficiency. Setup your custom professions so the less important ones have some light hauling assignments on the side to keep them busy in the slower seasons, and only take as many carpenters as you have carpentry workshops. Forget about the quality of trade goods and give your crafters plenty of jobs to keep them busy. Make a "hauling" custom profession if you don't want your real workers distracted, and if your haulers are ever idle, pat them on the back and give them the rest of the day off! If you absolutely have to, you can, in theory, go through the units list and one by one toggle more jobs on for them when they don't have anything else to do, but the more of them you have, the more tedius this will become, and you're often better off just leaving them idle for a few minutes, and taking that as a sign that you don't need any more of that particular job type.

Edit: Step 5 - You can basically consider each siege/ambush/etc a potential "negative migrant wave" - that is, you may lose dwarves, and have to assign replacements. Try not to be too much of a perfectionist - assign one or two replacements if you absolutely have to, and then wait for more migrant waves. Remember, the key is to do as little tweaking as possible.

By following these four five simple steps you can have a functional, sort-of efficient dwarven workforce, with as little as 30 seconds of micromanagement per migrant!

Congratulations! Now you're free to spend all your time reading combat logs and engraving descriptions, and designing elaborate elf-melting devices. 8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:11:27 pm by schismatise »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:45 am »

I learned to play the game with Therapist.  I know how to change jobs without it, but I certainly don't want to do it all by hand.  It would take forever with dozens of dorfs, I usually only tweak one or two at a time manually.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:43 am »

I learned to play the game with Therapist.  I know how to change jobs without it, but I certainly don't want to do it all by hand.  It would take forever with dozens of dorfs, I usually only tweak one or two at a time manually.

See my post above - if you just deal with them when they arrive and then never touch them again, it's actually very little time required. As long as you setup your job types well, you can basically just "set and forget".

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #845 on: February 15, 2012, 02:56:25 am »

See my post above - if you just deal with them when they arrive and then never touch them again, it's actually very little time required. As long as you setup your job types well, you can basically just "set and forget".

Whích ís fíne as long as everýbodý ís stíll alíve.

Once people start dýíng and ýou have to choose and appoínt replacements, ít gets reallý messý.

Myr0ku

• Bay Watcher
  • D for Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:08 am »

I just play adventurer mod for the moment, because i don't need DT to play it !

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:54 am »

Whích ís fíne as long as everýbodý ís stíll alíve.

Once people start dýíng and ýou have to choose and appoínt replacements, ít gets reallý messý.

Mmm, a fair point. It depends who dies though - you might get lucky and just lose 1 of each worker type, and not have to change anyone, heh. Even if you are forced to assign replacements, it should only take about 30 seconds for each - hell, just do 1 or 2, and then wait for more migrants. The idea is just to do as little tweaking as possible. Sure, it's not perfect that you just lost 3 of your 4 metalworkers - but you're better off just dealing with it than spending 20 minutes giving yourself RSI :)

Being an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist has made this approach almost necessary for my continued enjoyment of many games, haha.

Edit: Not to derail the thread or anything. Dwarf Therapist is definitely still very awesome.

Edit again: Integrated death into my original post ^^
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:40:28 am by schismatise »

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:39 am »

The level of misery I hear here (and feel personally, fair readers), makes me wonder if it might not be time for another rousing game of "Toady, please integrate DT into DF."

For the record, it's been asked . . . a lot.  I don't recall if Toady has ever commented on it.  Logically, since it never happened, perhaps that is his comment.  Ah well, we shall endure.  Good advice from Schismatise, thought that system does fall apart with the first deaths, as noted.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 15, 2012, 03:40:27 am »

The level of misery I hear here (and feel personally, fair readers), makes me wonder if it might not be time for another rousing game of "Toady, please integrate DT into DF."

For the record, it's been asked . . . a lot.  I don't recall if Toady has ever commented on it.  Logically, since it never happened, perhaps that is his comment.  Ah well, we shall endure.  Good advice from Schismatise, thought that system does fall apart with the first deaths, as noted.

you're not being very vocal:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php

the eternal suggestion voting doesn't show any sign of players actually wanting a better job assignment screen.

want to make a point? bring that 'Integrated Dwarf Foreman' item to first. then you may have a point.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 15, 2012, 03:41:22 am »

the eternal suggestion voting doesn't show any sign of players actually wanting a better job assignment screen.

That's probably because they're perfectly happy with dwarf therapist ;)

That said, i'm gonna go take a look at that link.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:43:32 am by schismatise »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:34 am »

Actually....
Number 13: Integrated Dwarf Foreman...
Links to here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53113.0
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:32 am »

Actually....
Number 13: Integrated Dwarf Foreman...
Links to here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53113.0
yes I saw that. this part of my original comment:

'want to make a point? bring that 'Integrated Dwarf Foreman' item to first. then you may have a point.'

was cut out from the quote pyramid.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 15, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

yes I saw that. this part of my original comment:

'want to make a point? bring that 'Integrated Dwarf Foreman' item to first. then you may have a point.'

was cut out from the quote pyramid.
[/quote]Was pointing out that to Schismatise...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:49 am »

my apologies, it's difficult to ascertain who's speaking to who in a forum  :P
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 192