Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 864309 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.10 3/15/11 see first post)
« Reply #615 on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:03 am »

Every post of you're I've been unlucky enough to come across is you talking down to people and kissing the ass of anyone who has made a line of code. Granted, maybe I've just been unlucky enough to catch you in threads that you're agitated with, but it's really become quite annoying.
And it is very unlucky.  You've missed me trying to help people with questions or problems, and many suggestions and ideas that I've tried to share with others.  I think it's mainly that people don't cause stinks about posts they agree with or that helped them... in those circumstances it's usually just "thanks" and the thread is done...

On the other hand, when someone disapproves, it's a WALL of text, as your post very adequately demonstrates.

Sorry if I offended you, or anyone, as that wasn't my intent.

The fact of the matter is, look how many posts DwarfEngineer has actually posted in this thread.  It's not very many.  Other than to tell people that he's updated Therapist to the latest version, he is remarkably silent.  And I think he should be.  Theres always loudmouths like myself ready to step in to talk.  All he really NEEDS to do is keep his program's code healthy... and technically he doesn't really need to do that, even.

I "kiss the ass" of people who write code because I have been a coder myself. I'm in school for video game design and have had several ideas stolen from me in the past, seen great people shattered by copyrights and corporate buy-outs, etc etc.  Coding ain't easy.  And too often people assume that it is, or that since they use a program they have a right to tell the coder what to do.  Being one myself, I react strongly against things like that, which is what you were noticing.  Not ass-kissing.

Honestly I think DwarfEngineer could stand to speak to people a bit more.  He's remarkably silent on a great many things.  But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to defend him if I think people are being a bit upset at him for no reason.

And look! Toady One got involved! Sorry if I contributed to and flaming, Toady.  I hope you understand what I was attempting to do, at least.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »

( Please do not take this as an attack against anyone, this is just information. You may do with it as you wish )

I would like to remind you all why chmod is no longer maintaining this project.  He had an argument similar to this about what direction HIS project should take, how much of HIS time he should spend on it. 

And in his words "OK, I am done."

I do not know DwarfEngineers tolerance for this kind of thing, but we are basically just non-paying consumers of their work, and they do not owe us anything.

This is simple truth not some form of brown nosing.   I know many of us, *myself included* have a nasty entitlement mentality, but we have to look at ourselves and ask what right we have to anyone's time, talent or treasures.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:23:32 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 30, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

profit: I agree 100%. Personally I'm grateful to have this utility at all, and I'm grateful to the person who originally wrote it and the person who's volunteering their time to maintain it now. I'm grateful to the people working on the mac port and everyone else who has contributed.

In my case I'm offering to contribute a feature to the project, but the person who is doing almost all of the work on this project not only has the right to decide what they work on, but what contributions to accept as well. Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's the vision statement, or the person in charge of the project just doesn't want to worry about maintaining it or whatever the reason is. They're doing the work, they're in charge, and so they get to make the decision based on whatever they want. I'm perfectly 100% in support of that.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 30, 2011, 04:18:03 pm »

That is very true, I only mentioned the vision statement because that's how he wanted to keep going with things, but if he ever did want to change it to include other things he certainly could.  And I would probably  support and like any new changes he decided to do.

Just thought it was in the persons best interest 100 messages ago that they should know as far as everyone has been told DT was not going to become a cheat program on the level of Runesmith, and out of respect for the author and his vision thought they would just back down.  LOL never realized it was going to become a major point of contention.

LOL I do hope the animal-butchery thing someone suggested does make it in sometime though =) But just as long as we have DT making DF playable it is ok =)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 03, 2011, 02:05:09 am »

so, do we have to prepare ourselves for a fair bit of time without DT?

I mean, aren't undead flags used in DT to filter out invalid creatures?

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2011, 10:31:49 am »

so, do we have to prepare ourselves for a fair bit of time without DT?

I mean, aren't undead flags used in DT to filter out invalid creatures?

It is quite possible that the underlying memory structure could change significantly this time in that respect.  But it does not mean that it will not be quickly resolved.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 03, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »

Well, the way it determines a valid creature is kind of a hack anyway. It thinks all my modded dwarfs are dead hehe.

It isn't a big deal though, if the datastructure is changed it would only take moments to fix it.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »

As dwarf therapist currently handles it,  gender of a caste defaults to female if no gender exist, that makes me sad, because until now my only way to find out the gender of a modded creature in a decent way would be dwarf therapist...

Just noting though
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 04, 2011, 06:19:01 pm »

Hi...
Did I miss an update for Therapist???
Anyone that comes in with the skills for Beekeeping (Beekeeping/Waxworking) makes them unable to be adjusted through the Therapist. What did I miss to change this problem???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 05, 2011, 04:01:20 am »

Is it possible to make a filter script that can filter dwarfs by military skills or social skills?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2011, 07:51:19 am »

Hi...
Did I miss an update for Therapist???
Anyone that comes in with the skills for Beekeeping (Beekeeping/Waxworking) makes them unable to be adjusted through the Therapist. What did I miss to change this problem???
There are a lot of problems with beekeeping inside if dwarf fortress... I have some hives and with some abusive construction based exploits was actually able to make them work ok, but I am giving you fair warning you probably will be unable to use hives that well.   

With the level of things wrong in the dwarf fortress code around hives, I cannot guess how you could tell if there was something wrong in DT.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:31 pm »

With the level of things wrong in the dwarf fortress code around hives, I cannot guess how you could tell if there was something wrong in DT.
Well, it reads them as "Unknown Profession" and refuses to change their labors unless you turn on the cheatsyface option.

It does this for Pressers and Wax Workers too.

It's a pretty tiny thing, really, compared to the actual bee-related bugs in DF itself.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Magnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 08, 2011, 05:19:19 am »

It's amazing to see what's been done with this game and community after a few years away.  Back then I barely struggled my way to self sufficiency before ultimately being overwhelmed by the world around me.  To come back and see this honestly makes me beyond happy.  Everything I had hoped to understand is now available in the most excellent wiki and now I see that some truly awesome people have developed, and continue to expand upon, a way to make those tricky time consuming parts of the game incredibly simple and efficient.  I've only been playing again for just over a week and I already know more than I did before and my ambitious dwarven enterprise looks more and more like a reality with each passing day.  I know this post adds very little in the way of discussion or constructive feedback but I hope it has conveyed at least a fraction of the gratitude I feel towards the continued development of this frankly awesome utility, as well as the most epic time sink ever created.  Thank you for making my gaming experience even more enjoyable!

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 08, 2011, 10:57:02 am »

Well, it reads them as "Unknown Profession" and refuses to change their labors unless you turn on the cheatsyface option.

It does this for Pressers and Wax Workers too.

It's a pretty tiny thing, really, compared to the actual bee-related bugs in DF itself.

You must not have the latest version, mine does such things without any fiddling.   

Make sure you are running 0.6.10 (Help->About)

and are using the official memory layout, not one that has been hacked together.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:59:40 am by profit »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 08, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

Oh, hey, I don't have the latest version. That explains that, I guess.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 192