Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 864582 times)

Bersken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist Linux won't attach after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2010, 10:09:31 pm »

The copy of DT I compiled myself works great for me under Linux kernel version 2.6.32-25 (generic, 32-bit, the copy in the Dwarf Therapist ALPHA_R445 package gives me a symbol lookup error when I start it up, but that's probably a different problem). Linux 2.6.35-22, on the other hand, won't allow DT to attach to DF. (I can re-run it once I reboot back into the newer kernel and post the log file.) I'm guessing it's probably a security feature of the newer kernel.

Anybody know how I get DF and DT talking to each other without having to use the old kernel?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Dwarf Therapist Linux won't attach after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »

The copy of DT I compiled myself works great for me under Linux kernel version 2.6.32-25 (generic, 32-bit, the copy in the Dwarf Therapist ALPHA_R445 package gives me a symbol lookup error when I start it up, but that's probably a different problem). Linux 2.6.35-22, on the other hand, won't allow DT to attach to DF. (I can re-run it once I reboot back into the newer kernel and post the log file.) I'm guessing it's probably a security feature of the newer kernel.

Anybody know how I get DF and DT talking to each other without having to use the old kernel?
Code: [Select]
sudo sysctl -w kernel.randomize_va_space=0

Alekiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.4 10/4/10 see first post)
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2010, 12:35:17 am »

The save one is a known bug. Try it without Therapist and see what happens.

You mean not starting Therapist at all? Cause, yeah, if I don't use it, it doesn't crash. But if I use it, close it and save, it still crashes.

Bersken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2010, 12:47:18 am »

Durn... I thought I might have an answer already, but that didn't seem to work.

When I start DT (even after using the above command), or click the connect button from within DT, the line "ptrace attach: Operation not permitted" is printed to the terminal from which I start DT.

Here's the contents of the log file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does kind of look like that should've worked.

Like I said, it works if I boot to the 2.6.32 kernel, but I like having the hardware sensor compatibility of the new kernel.

So... is no one else having this issue?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:40 am »

Durn... I thought I might have an answer already, but that didn't seem to work.

When I start DT (even after using the above command), or click the connect button from within DT, the line "ptrace attach: Operation not permitted" is printed to the terminal from which I start DT.

Here's the contents of the log file:

Does kind of look like that should've worked.

Like I said, it works if I boot to the 2.6.32 kernel, but I like having the hardware sensor compatibility of the new kernel.

So... is no one else having this issue?
I'll assume you use Ubuntu 10.10 and their fail-patched kernels (from my point of view anyway).
Read this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Roadmap/KernelHardening#ptrace%20Protection

Same applies to DFHack of course, because the methods used are the same.

What a steaming pile of fail. Why?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:50:16 am by peterix »

Delduvat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 12:59:03 am »

There`s a wrong offset in v0.31.16_graphics.ini:
sex                     = 0x00F8
should be
sex                     = 0x00FA

Bersken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 01:21:03 am »

I'll assume you use Ubuntu 10.10 and their fail-patched kernels (from my point of view anyway).
Read this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Roadmap/KernelHardening#ptrace%20Protection

Same applies to DFHack of course, because the methods used are the same.

Right on the nose. (I mentioned having just upgraded to Ubu 10.10 in the subject of my first post on the subject, but then a while after posting the second, I realized... "I never read the subject on individual posts; why would anyone else?") Typing in "sudo sysctl -w kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0" before starting Dwarf Therapist allows me attach DT to Dwarf Fortress (at the cost of leaving my running processes a bit more vulnerable, I guess).

(Hmmm... Maybe I ought to see how well DF and DT run on VirtualBox VM... Probably some posts on it somewhere in these forums.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:25:09 am by Bersken »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2010, 05:09:29 pm »

Request: Add military sorting by squad.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »

I just assign squads as a custom profession and it works out pretty well for me
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2010, 01:25:48 am »

First off, thank you for a wonderful program.  It simplifies so much when it comes to handing my dwarfs.

I'm not sure if you like hearing requests/suggestions, if not, please ignore completely. 

Would it be possible to also have a sorting of dwarfs by age?  Not really sure how practical or how much demand there is, but there are times when I'd love to know how many babies/kids I have (and how old they are).  I'm currently more into long-term games (also I'm still learning, so Invasions are currently off).  But as I learn more, I'll start delving into mega-projects (to learn the finer points of the higher-end things), so I'd be working within multi-generations.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist Linux won't attach after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:45 am »

It sounds like the ptrace_scope security feature that people upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 are running into. This thread has the details of how to turn it off. Summary:
echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
That'll make it work until the next time you reboot. To make a permanent change, edit the /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf file in super-user mode (see the post if you don't know how to do that) and, search for the ptrace_scope value, and change it from 1 to 0. Save, and now the change will persist across reboots.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then post the error message you're getting and hopefully someone will be able to figure it out... but I think this should do it for you.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

t-loria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2010, 03:14:53 pm »

Hmmm did dwarf-therapist drop xp compatibility or something :?

I got DF (3.16) and DT (6.4)on my laptop(i3 win7 64bit)and there working perfectly.
However if i copy that dir to my other pc (amd x3  xp 32bit) that doesnt work :(
It keeps telling me it doesnt understand this version.

Downloading a fresh install didnt help.   whats going on ?

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2010, 06:06:41 pm »

Do you get a popup showing the versions it does support? if so I would make sure you actually have the windows 31.16 memory layout. don't know how the folder structure is on windows but maybe the memory layout isnt in the folders you copied over.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

t-loria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2010, 02:04:18 am »

It does show me the versions its support, which includes the 31.16 im running.
As fas as i can tell neither DT or DF actually "install anything".  it just runs from wherever you copied it.
But also a brand new lazynewbpack  doesnt  work :(

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

I read somewhere that it'd be relatively easy to port Therapist to Mac. Does anyone know if there are plans to make this happen? As soon as i get to about 30 dwarves at the moment my fortress is pretty much boned from lack of organization -_-
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 192