Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863775 times)

miscsubbin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)
« Reply #2265 on: June 17, 2012, 11:15:59 am »

How can I install this on Gentoo? There seems to be no ebuild in the main portage tree that I can see. Is it in an overlay somewhere?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: June 17, 2012, 12:53:31 pm »

hrmm what about leaving the generic melee/ranged military roles in the default roles tab, add individual weapon skill roles to the military tab, and put the noble roles first on the default tab, followed by the civilian roles?
How about making the roles tab look like the labors tab, except with a purple category for nobles at the end (so that most of the rest of is the same), and an other category too for roles that are neither noble related nor map to labors?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2267 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

the only thing that drives me crazy with the labor tab is that it's not in alphabetical order though! but having them match up would be a good idea..

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »

Heh. Alphabetical order is good for finding things that you don't know where they are, but its a very arbitrary order for comparing things. I like the order of the labor tab, it matches the game.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2269 on: June 17, 2012, 01:28:08 pm »

yeah fair enough, i'll see about reordering the default roles tab and adding more weapon roles to the military tab

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: June 17, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »

Dwarves have a Push/Guide Minecart job somewhere in the labors tab, but I couldn't find it as a settable labor in the therapist. Is this supported in the current version?

Also the therapist somehow allowed me to rename some merchant bodyguard dwarves from a caravan, but only after said guards had killed a couple goblins, I could also set their labors, it didn't change anything in-game other than their name, and it confused me for a while.

DuineAnaithnid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: June 17, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »

I have not used DT in a while, but last I remember when you assigned a custom profession, it would start grouping them by said professions. I am using the current linux version (the last version did this too) and it does not change their profession names. Anybody else?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »

It doesn't change nicknames and profession names on linux. It's because strings are stored differently on gcc compiled linux version, and the MSVS compiled windows version. Windows stings are easier to hack.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: June 18, 2012, 02:26:54 am »

Dwarves have a Push/Guide Minecart job somewhere in the labors tab, but I couldn't find it as a settable labor in the therapist. Is this supported in the current version?

Also the therapist somehow allowed me to rename some merchant bodyguard dwarves from a caravan, but only after said guards had killed a couple goblins, I could also set their labors, it didn't change anything in-game other than their name, and it confused me for a while.

I'm not sure the official DT supports the new jobs, splinterz certainly does.

I've had that merchant issue pop up before, but only once.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2274 on: June 18, 2012, 02:51:25 am »

i'm working on adding role information to the tooltips of the military tab columns, rather than a complete additional set of role columns as it's redundant. however this brings up a few questions on preference:

should i add armor and shield skills to all weapon roles (axedwarf, speardwarf..) or only the weapon skill itself?

should it be sorted by total skill experience, and then role rating, or sorted by whether they have any experience at all, and then role rating? the latter is subtly different in that dwarves with any xp at all are still at the top of the list, but they're sorted by role rating (labor columns currently sort like this).

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:50 am »

i'm working on adding role information to the tooltips of the military tab columns, rather than a complete additional set of role columns as it's redundant. however this brings up a few questions on preference:

should i add armor and shield skills to all weapon roles (axedwarf, speardwarf..) or only the weapon skill itself?

should it be sorted by total skill experience, and then role rating, or sorted by whether they have any experience at all, and then role rating? the latter is subtly different in that dwarves with any xp at all are still at the top of the list, but they're sorted by role rating (labor columns currently sort like this).

Pretty tricky issue, since military/squad customizations are going to be different for every player, if not every game. A long-term goal may be to read the uniforms from memory and create dynamic roles based on what's there. And then... custom weights, since players may prefer high dodging/agility on their leather users, high toughness/endurance on their tin can soldiers, and so on and so forth.

*waves a magic wand*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:24:44 am by TerryDactyl »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2277 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:22 am »

the intent is to add a set of default weapon skill roles and show the information in the military tab's cell tooltip. like all other default roles they can still be overridden. if users end up wanting to do a ton of customized roles as you're describing, they're probably going to be creating their own military view anyway. this is in regards to defaults, and the default military tab.

reading uniforms won't get around the problem of subjectivity you've mentioned. just because you'd like to assign dodge to all leather wearing melee soldiers, doesn't mean the next guy will. i don't intend to try and dynamically create dozens combat role combinations hoping that one will fit the player's ideals, that's what the custom roles, or tweaking default roles, is for.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 18, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

I would say do add shield and armor skills to all weapon roles.

That's the problem with using the skill indicators to also show roles. A dwarf with experience should be the most fit for the job, so would appear on the top of the role rating anyway, under default settings. And if that's not the case, then clearly the player thinks that some other qualities, other than experience are more important and has balanced the roles for that. But if the display shows the skills, not the role, then you'd expect it to sort by experience first.

That's why I think you need separate columns for military skills and roles. They show different information.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2279 on: June 18, 2012, 11:03:48 am »

it's not a problem to show more columns, i'm just debating whether it's worth trying to save the space or not, as literally every weapon skill column will be duplicated. it's the same reason i added the role info on the labor columns, it was just way too many columns in my opinion. maybe i'll just add another option to show the role information in skill columns and then people can choose the display they prefer.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192