Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making the perfect blood river...  (Read 1371 times)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making the perfect blood river...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:42 am »

I have never tried this, but if one was to tie a goblin up next to a pit and scare him into the pit, would he hang over the pit or be able to climb out?

If he hangs there a marksdwarf might be able to make him a blood faucet.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:36 am »

Chains don't suspend creatures.  If a creature on a chain becomes airborne for any reason (including falling) the chain instantly detaches.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 11:01:04 am »

Well, if you drop living things from high enough, they assplode and spread chunks everywhere. That should work considerably reliably.

Maybe like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
WWPWW
WWPWW
WFFFW
WFFFW
WFFFW
WWWWW
Drop goblin onto the Floor from high above. Then, after it splattered, Pump some Water over the Floor to get the last bit of blood in the river. Maybe, if you drop goblins from a one tile chamber, they cannot gain momentum in any other direction than down, in that case the Floor can be 1 tile, too.

Also, it should be easy enough to build. You can build that setup right in/above the river, mabye even hook up the pump to a waterwheel and dont even bother with a switch? Just let it run. Worth a try. And you can even try to... manage your goblin supply. ie, not drop em all at once thus extending the use of your... blood supply.

Consider walling off the drop zone... sideview:

Code: [Select]
   # #
   # #
   # #
   # #
#### ####
#       #
#WWWFWWW# 

Drop gobbo down the chute so they should pretty much all the time land on the 1 tile wide floor. all the chunks should land in the river that way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:06:59 am by Puck »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

To put in context, I want to bleed incoming invaders.  This means no dropping or caging, or any other form of controlled release.  What's going to happen will be that the goblins will go onto the brook, walk on the traps, get whipped, bleed, and then make it to my trade depot with some light wounds at the far end of the map.

Meanwhile, the blood flows down the river into a basin, where it'll linger around before inevitably vanishing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »

Meanwhile, the blood flows down the river into a basin, where it'll linger around before inevitably vanishing.
Here's the part that doesn't work.  In the current version of DF blood never, ever vanishes on its own.  You will have blood from invaders decades past lingering in your basin.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:31 am »

Since it's a brook however, it'll eventually touch the part the leaves the map.

I know - I've had wounded creatures fall into the basin before.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]