Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A more vibrant hellscape  (Read 2987 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
A more vibrant hellscape
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

I have a couple of quick ideas for how the "Hidden Fun Stuff" and/or the areas and z-levels leading up (down?) to it might be made more vibrant.

1. Rivers of Blood*. This is especially appropriate given the fact that, technically, the full title of the game is "Slaves to Armok, God OF BLOOD. Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress". I would particularly like to see rivers of diseased (ie. syndrome causing) and heatproof (HEATDAM_POINT:NONE and BOILING_POINT:NONE) blood running through the bottom layer of hell, providing an area of (relative) safety for exploring adventurers.

2. On a similar note, it would be cool to have rivers and/or lakes of slime (a la Ghostbusters 2) appearing in the z-layers immediately preceeding the HFS. Lakes of slime can be done already, but I would like to have them cause a syndrome which causes those affected to go insane/berserk (something which there is no syndrome tag for as of yet) and, more importantly, as of yet there doesn't seem to be any way to limit them only to the levels close to the HFS. This leads me to my next topic.

3. To aid modding, there should be a token to limit stone types to appearing immediately above the DEEP_SURFACE and DEEP_SPECIAL layers, and another token to put them all the way at the bottom of the HFS.

* (Granted, technically, under the current system designate a custom inorganic substance using the blood material template instead of the stone template and set it so that veins (no pun intended) of the stuff appear in slade, but that still presents a number of problems, including (but not limited to): Its WAY too short. It doesn't flow. and it makes the slade too easy to breach.)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: A more vibrant hellscape
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »

Well this could all be done easily once the new fluid system is implented. Currently it's not passble to have any liquid flowing other then water and magma.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »

The first suggestion could be done, but there would still be placement issues and I still wouldn't be able to make the slime from suggestion 2 cause people to go berserk.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:03:59 am »

Well the slime would only be the addition of a syndrome that causes dwarfs to go beserk. Apart from that it's basically the same as fb's flood
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:07:48 am »

Well this could all be done easily once the new fluid system is implented. Currently it's not passble to have any liquid flowing other then water and magma.

New fluid system?... Is there a link to that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:08:51 am »

Lack of actual ideas aside I do agree with the topic creator in that hell really could use an injection of life so to speak.

The first time I gone into it, I thought I hit mud.

Spires of bone, shadows and wisps... a lot could be done...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:13 am »

I think that Hell should have some random souls impaled on slade giant spikes. It would make hell seem more morbid.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:20 am »

I think that Hell should have some random souls impaled on slade giant spikes. It would make hell seem more morbid.

Walls of Flesh and bone would be a nice touch as well. Maybe faces in the wall that scream or chant dark words all the time.

stonemt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:30 am »

...and all done in ASCII...
that being said it sounds good! perhaps a river of blood is not presently possible but would it be possible to just soak the whole place with it? a splatter on every surface?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:37:32 am »

Bloody tormented creatures walking around, limbless humans dying slowly, elves impaled in pits, blood strewn about..

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:04 am »

I have another Dwarfdea, Slade upright spears that have organs and severed heads impaled on them.

Edit: I have another idea, souls buried up to their necks in slade which scream out for help or a release from this eternal suffering. If a dwarf see's one of the souls it will have a large negative thought.

EditEdit:Another idea. Souls that appear to have no skin and are bound by slade chains
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:47:47 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:19 am »

I'd prefer it be something other then Slade. Since Slade is currently used so people can't tamper with anything.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:33 am »

I'd prefer it be something other then Slade. Since Slade is currently used so people can't tamper with anything.
Adimantine? Wait no...Bone! That would be much better and more violent.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:56:59 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:48 am »

Lack of actual ideas aside I do agree with the topic creator in that hell really could use an injection of life so to speak.

The first time I gone into it, I thought I hit mud.

Spires of bone, shadows and wisps... a lot could be done...

Boiling springs of hot magma, or magma "hot springs." Bone spirals, blood rivers, pits of tormented souls...

Careful on the FPS toll though. The game should be DESIGNED so that it can be decently played till the end
even with 200 dwarves and a couple hundred pets with HFS revealed. Problem is, it is not.

Either terminate all surface life and vermin life when HFS is revealed to get resources for HFS use, (all wildlife animals and rats leave the sinking ship/burrow
as they sense doom and death to come and thereby release CPU & FPS) or leave some room and resources unused in the first place so the system can cope with 200 pathing dorfs, 50 demons and 200 animals and all their *named* blood spatters.

Also, all the noises could be turned off, with the excuse that screams from opened hell drown out all other noises (and scared away all the wildlife). And thus get more CPU & FPS available for HFS critters to use.

Anyway, steady FPS and CPU load, not FPS-> 0, when HFS is taking more. Something needs to go or system needs to be playable even then despite HFS additions.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:14:07 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:29:41 am »

I'd go a step further and create an actual civilisation(s) of 'classic' demons, harpies, gorgons and the like. The procedurally-generated ones would still exist, but be fewer in number and act as a ruling caste to the lesser ones. This would demand soil of a sort, perhaps watered by the rivers of blood, and possibly some kind of stone besides slade for building. Chained and caged sentients in various appalling states of injury would definitely be a nice touch as well, especially if they could be recruited into your civilisation after being released.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2 3