Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underworld  (Read 867 times)

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underworld
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »

So now we have migrats and stuff coming through underground roads, right? I was wondering, is it possible to generate completely frozen world, that will quickly freeze anyone on surface to death and actually play normal fortress on it? How do you find underground roads in first place?
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underworld
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:40:33 pm »

Do migrants actually come in from underground tunnels?  I haven't seen that ever...

Making a completely frozen world would be easy (set max temperature to 0 during world gen), making it playable would take some effort.  Though if you modded everyone so they could settle on glaciers or tundra it might work.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »

At max temp 0 you still don't get tundra and glaciers everywhere. The summer makes places hotter the further you get from the cold edge of the map. Like -50 or something makes half a medium map into permafrost biomes.

If you made the temperature low enough to kill everything you could start with temp off in init and then once everyone was inside with burrows keeping them there you could exit the game and turn it back on to cause massive damage to probably all fleshy creatures.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:55:09 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:06 pm »

I don't like the cold, so how about making it so hot everything above ground boils away?  :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:28:49 pm »

I have played a fort like this. I had to start out with no food or drink and had to breach the caverns ASAP to prevent my dwarves from dying.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »

But do migrants actually come in through underground roads?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:05 pm »

Or do they come in above ground and instantly freeze to death... :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »

Better yet: Try to make the world of Dark Sun. Including the canibalistic halflings.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!