Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Limiting the type of foods a race can eat  (Read 1382 times)

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limiting the type of foods a race can eat
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »

So, I'm doing a mod to create a civilization of arthropod creatures. They have a special building where they can process a type of plant to create their food source. Thing is, I'd like to make it so that they can ONLY eat this food. Is this possible? Would it be also possible to make all other kinds of food (mainly plants and meat) poisonous to them?
Thanks in advance!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting the type of foods a race can eat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »

Yes this should be possible (kobolds are carnivores and they will starve if you do not have hunters/animal herders/fisherbolds/buy lots and lots and lots meat.  They cannot eat plants.  (im not sure about a horse meat roast that uses plant matter in its cooking..)) but you might have to mod the food as meat and modify regular meat to be plants...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:30:17 pm »

Hum, would it be possible to give the normal meat material a syndrome that'd kill only this race? I mean, creating a syndrome that affectso only them is easy, but can syndromes by added to materials?

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:56 pm »

Hum, would it be possible to give the normal meat material a syndrome that'd kill only this race? I mean, creating a syndrome that affectso only them is easy, but can syndromes by added to materials?

well...you would have to go into every creature and add the syndrome to every tissue type that creature has...so it would take forever by hand...or you could write a simple script that opens all creature files, looks for [TISSUE...] and inserts the syndrome on the next line...

lemmie see if the syndrome will actually carry on to processed food and then I'll try and make the script...might be a while though...work compy can't handle DF at all...(these machines are ancient)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »

There is no syndrome transmission token for eating or drinking the material.  They have to be INJECTED, transmitted by CONTACT or INHALED as a gas.
Also known as Zuhayr.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Can't the syndrome be added to the generic flesh entries in the materials raw file? Or do syndromes only work in creature entries?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »

There is no syndrome transmission token for eating or drinking the material.  They have to be INJECTED, transmitted by CONTACT or INHALED as a gas.

eating doesn't count as injected?  well son of a crap.  see what happens when df wiki is down and I have to go by memory... ... ...bad things!  that's what!

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:53 pm »

this might work

1) make them plant eaters
2) take away herbalist so that they can only farm
3) make a custom plant for them to embark with

you could also take away butcher shop so they can't access meat but now they can't get leather

as far as the whole poison thing goes... they'd die out really quick if all the flora and fauna was poisonous wouldn't they, esp being insects they've gotta eat trees or something for building material.  Simply making it unuseable is probably better... tho you could add a building that converts meat and plants etc to building mats or even fertilizer for their fields (i.e.potash).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:42:39 pm by kwd1968 »

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:08:08 pm »

Oh, I wasn't aware that there was a token to make them exclusive plant eaters. That would make things easier... what is the token?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »

There is no such token. kwd1968's idea may work in part, however.

Xenos' idea is even better, but regardless of what you do, you'll have to make significant changes to the world which may well invalidate all other carnivourous species.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »

hmm i thought there was a [herebivore] tag

in that case make them no eat and alcohol dependent and have your custom plant be brewable

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »

hmm i thought there was a [herebivore] tag

in that case make them no eat and alcohol dependent and have your custom plant be brewable
Ah, yes, that's perfect! Thanks, kwd!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »

but forbid them from drinking the other alcohols somehow...can you forbid them from using specific plants? 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:16 pm »

You can make no other plants brewable.  Or just not brew them.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »

and if you make them not be herbalists they won't have access to any other plants >:P

or you can always take away the brewery and make a custom building and reaction that only brews your custom plant... no kitchen too while you're at it, just another custom building to process meats or more custom reactions for the tannery.

Heh shoulda thought of that before, would've met your requirements with just custom brews and no kitchen/still.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:34:55 pm by kwd1968 »
Pages: [1] 2