Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing topic and starving dwarves  (Read 1166 times)

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
Missing topic and starving dwarves
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:52:11 am »

Last night I posted a topic about my fortresses starving to death despite having abnoxious amounts of food. Some ideas were tossed around, but an adequate answer had not come up. I went to sleep last night fretting about my 6th fortress' slow decay, the only thing allowing me to sleep was the knowledge that, this morning, I'd have the infinite dwarfy wisdom of the forums to explain my Dwarf's fasting.

So know my suprise when I can't find the topic anywhere. Just to make sure, I checked the first 15 pages of the Gameplay questions (where it was posted), and the first 10 pages of the bug reports section (where it might have been moved without me noticing). I checked the "Show new replies to your posts" option, and the topic doesn't even show up. The only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that it was deleted.

So, Now I have 2 questions! First: Why are my bloody dwarves still ignoring their food (details later), and second: If a topic is deleted by an admin or moderator, is there any way to find out? (Other than it just being gone of course)

Starving Datadump: They have plenty of food and booze, the food being varied (various meats, plants, and fish) and in excess. Regardless, they will refuse stubbornly to eat the food, and instead start to starve and hunt vermin. This happened in 31.13 in all 3 of my fortresses, so I downgraded back to 31.12, and was doubly suprised when the dwarfs there started to ignore their food. 2 more fortresses later, and I posted my previous topic. I apologise for posting agian, but I still have no idea why my dwarves hate themselves so much as to ignore the prepared food in favor of starving to death.

Edit: Found the topic, by going to profile -> show user posts, and it still exists. I just can't find it on the list anywhere. :( Why does my precious topic languish in obscurity?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:55:17 am by Tsukenta »

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing topic and starving dwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:55:35 am »

Your other topic is right here.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:07 am »

I can think of a few things: do you have a food stockpile at all? Do you have a dining room? Is everyone restricted to some burrow? You've mentioned the food itself is not forbidden. Is the food got "TSK" on it if it's stuck in a workshop?

Farming harvest will wither away if you don't have a food stockpile with space and if there are no labourers available to pick it up.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:02:49 am »

Thank you, but it still isn't on the list, and thus it shall still languish in obscurity (except as redirects from this page).   

I can think of a few things: do you have a food stockpile at all? Do you have a dining room? Is everyone restricted to some burrow? You've mentioned the food itself is not forbidden. Is the food got "TSK" on it if it's stuck in a workshop?

Farming harvest will wither away if you don't have a food stockpile with space and if there are no labourers available to pick it up.

Okay, The food is stockpiled, except seeds, which have their own seperate stockpile. There is no dining room, but the meeting zone is set next to the food stockpile until the room is dug out and tables are set up. There are no burrows, and the only workshops that process food is the butchers shop and the kitchen, but the kitchen has no tasks (the only task was cancelled by the chef searching for vermin to devour).

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:04:40 am »

You didn't do something horrile to the raws, did you?

Upload the save to DFFD.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:45 am »

Thank you, but it still isn't on the list, and thus it shall still languish in obscurity (except as redirects from this page).   

I see it right there on page 2 of the Gameplay Questions section of the forum...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:56 am »

Upload the save to DFFD.

I don't mess with the raws, I'm a physicist, not a computer programmer. I'm smart enough to not mess with those, and even so, reinstalling dorf fort (re-unzipping?) should fix anything like flawed raws, right?

Unfamiliar with DFFD, what does it stand for?

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:33 am »

I see it right there on page 2 of the Gameplay Questions section of the forum...

You are completely right. I just face-palmed myself into last week. Thank you very much for pointing out my incredible stupidity.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:32 am »

Upload the save to DFFD.

I don't mess with the raws, I'm a physicist, not a computer programmer. I'm smart enough to not mess with those, and even so, reinstalling dorf fort (re-unzipping?) should fix anything like flawed raws, right?

Unfamiliar with DFFD, what does it stand for?

Dwarf Fortress File Depot:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/