Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to Lose Companions Guilt Free? Here's How!  (Read 2885 times)

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Want to Lose Companions Guilt Free? Here's How!
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:32 am »

Ok...here's the steps:

1. Got to be in sneaking mode
2. Encounter hostile/scared animal target
3. You have to be Spotted and/or attacked
4. Take out target (with or w/o help from companion....not sure, let 'em get a hit at least)
5. Companion will somehow "Lose sight of you" and just stand there. To check talk to them and you will see:

It's as if they're in town again...

Want to check? Sure...just 'T'ravel:

For science's sake I continued to obsherve the creahtures in thay're natural habitat. Crickey! The buggah's seem to be heading to a local Elven town ruin!

And I lost sight of 'em in Travel mode. I circled around to be sure and I then entered the Old Ruins, destroyed in a Elven-Human War that is still goin' on so that's probably why they didn't go there even when it's nearer, and suprise suprise:

The drunk guy crawling in the ground is my first companion that I lost the old fashioned way: when he got distracted chasing wolves & monkeys. But alas, they will automatically join you again if you "find" them so I just redid the ol' trick to lose the buggers.

Extra Notes:
-This is an old save, it's my 1st Kobold adventurer from earlier versions that I kept on transferring to updated ones (currently using .11 or .12) & one side effect of it is that even though I am covered w/ scars, I can no longer see that descriptions (Although the body parts with old wounds still have colored text.

So this may actually just be an anomaly or weird glitch. Do try it yourselves and share your results.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
Re: Want to Lose Companions Guilt Free? Here's How!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:08 am »

I didn't know the words 'Lose companions' and 'Guilt' could be used together in one sentence.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:26 am »

I didn't know the word "Guilt" could be used on this board with a straight face.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:43 am »

What, you've never wanted to send someone to retirement because their death would be too pathetic to witness, let alone be responsible for? "You can take off the red shirt and go home to your mother now. Buh-bye."

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:50:40 am »

Last time I played Adventure Mode, my companions asked me to lead them into a glorious death.

I granted their wish.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:09 am »

Adventurer mode could never top Fortress mode for potentially depressing deaths.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:00 pm »

Adventurer mode could never top Fortress mode for potentially depressing deaths.
then you never had your child kill in front of you... well another forum member child killed in front of you.

thanks kobold but this is only in adventure mode in .13 and not able to be performed in say .10?

either way at least now one needs to find a way to keep those ditched companions in one spot and companion collecting meta-game can be made! I might get a blood wench for a starter.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:37 pm »

thanks kobold but this is only in adventure mode in .13 and not able to be performed in say .10?
I think I'm using .11 version (kept forgetting If I updated mine w/ the .12 files or not). Yes we do treat meatshield's deaths rather apathetically but this method is for those that have served you well & fought with valor & deserves some R&R...

...or, like me, to get rid of those who had some lower spine or leg injury resulting in a crawling injured mess saying "hey, wait up!" every few squares (Although by accident, I actually populated the ruined town with old companions & even changed the ruin icon to normal occupied town icon. Though now they have some wolf & cougar neighbours & room-mates in their ruined little houses).

...Come to think of it...you could probably make a small community filled with different races.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:55:10 pm by Kobold Troubadour »

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

(Although by accident, I actually populated the ruined town with old companions & even changed the ruin icon to normal occupied town icon. Though now they have some wolf & cougar neighbours & room-mates in their ruined little houses).

...Come to think of it...you could probably make a small community filled with different races.
Now that's cool. I really need to get to learning more about adventurer mode.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:40 am »

either way at least now one needs to find a way to keep those ditched companions in one spot and companion collecting meta-game can be made! I might get a blood wench for a starter.

This is sort of something I mentioned on the suggestion board. You could have a reserve of potential companions you can switch between depending on what you need. Hopefully a non-bug version will be part of the planned update to the follower system mentioned in the devblog.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:22:36 am »

I think I'm using .11 version (kept forgetting If I updated mine w/ the .12 files or not). Yes we do treat meatshield's deaths rather apathetically but this method is for those that have served you well & fought with valor & deserves some R&R...

...or, like me, to get rid of those who had some lower spine or leg injury resulting in a crawling injured mess saying "hey, wait up!" every few squares (Although by accident, I actually populated the ruined town with old companions & even changed the ruin icon to normal occupied town icon. Though now they have some wolf & cougar neighbours & room-mates in their ruined little houses).

11? dang I'm on 10.
oh well shame this means I need to ditch them by some how rigging a spotting animal but this means more slots open up for more companions. Makes you wonder if you load up to 12+ ditch companions will they all auto join you when you walk into town? thanks again kobold for finding the safe way to dumping a old adventurer in a different town and making a daycare center for when I get kids in 31. if I can get kids.
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

This is sort of something I mentioned on the suggestion board. You could have a reserve of potential companions you can switch between depending on what you need. Hopefully a non-bug version will be part of the planned update to the follower system mentioned in the devblog.
suggested a way to dump them in one spot?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

suggested a way to dump them in one spot?

Not specifically in one spot, but you could well do that.

Please note that when I started that thread I figured separated followers just went back to there town of origin (or at least tried to), but now it seems more likely that they wander the wilds.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:25:59 am »

wait this means we can fill up a old fort with companions?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:10:32 pm »

wait this means we can fill up a old fort with companions?
Hmmm...sorry, can't test that. This save have collected a lot of "bugs & anomalies" like:
- underground items all over town
- certain towns turning to FPS sinksholes or actually makes the game crash (One of them the only goblin tower)
- being able to psychically Shift+A & take down "Clowns" from above ground
- being unable to embark anywhere cuz' it leads to crashing the game as well, etc.

Guess I'll need to test this theory on a new world and the new update...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:23:16 pm by Kobold Troubadour »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 01:52:58 am »

dang it's hard to get spotted or even attacked with out getting mauled to death.
"body swapping and YOU!"