Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does size matter in combat?  (Read 1792 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Does size matter in combat?
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:19 am »

Target size, weapon size....
You'd think the larger the target size and weapon size the easier it'd be to hit the target. Meanwhile the smaller the target and the bigger the weapon would makes it easier to deliver damage.

Unfortunately it doesnt seems to be the case. Iron clad goblin with an iron whip vs 5 war elephants -> 5 dead elephants and 1 unscratched goblin. You'd expect the goblin either get trampled or gored and the elephants only slightly bruised from the whipping.

Someone know the reasoning behind? I'm on 0.31.12
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Does size matter in combat?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:48:21 am »

Whips are like supersonic hammers. Even a leather whip hurts like hell. Iron? Forget it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:50:36 am »

Because he is clad in iron...
the comparison between the weapon and armor material play a very important role in determining the amount of damage that someone gets from a weapon.
And the tusks from the elephants would probably (as well as teeth) be considerd rather weak and barely able to penetrate skin.

As for trampling attacks...donīt know if there is something like this...I auspect no, maybe stuff for the suggestions-sub

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:35:17 am »

And there's also things like force and material thickness, too. Elephant tusks could be dent and their legs could be soft, but the sheer power delivered from the elephant would more then make up for it. A kick from an elephant on an armoured soldier shouldnt be any less then running full force into a brick wall while wearing a metal trash can over your head.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:00 am »

There is reality and there is DF physics. Currently, material properties weigh very heavily in combat calculations. Size ought to matter a lot, but not sure whether it does at present. Certainly, a massive creature is immune to death by bridges.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:33 am »

Size is important in combat, just not as important as weapons and armour. Larger size does give some durability benefits, at the very least you'll find small sharp weapons struggle to or cannot cut off body parts of large creatures, I think size affects strength and larger creatures can knock down smaller foes which definitely has an effect on combat.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

yes size matters.
bigger things have more blood, are stronger and are harder to kill.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »

For instance, GCS and serpent man venom causes full paralysis, which causes suffocation in smaller (dwarf-sized) creatures.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:43 pm »

Rephikul: I'm pretty sure if you had a pet elephant and something lashed it in the head with a whip MADE OF IRON, it'd die.

If you really want to think about it, the way a whip does damage is essentially transfer of momentum.  momentum = velocity times mass... the whip is made of a dense metal.  Not much of it, but it's also travelling extremely fast... more momentum = more damage.

It's the same reason why adamantine warhammers suck, they weigh next to nothing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:02:38 pm »

Due to the very tiny contact area of a whip its basically a lightsaber. Cuts through absolutely anything.

Its probably just a bug though, no way whips are that powerful in real life.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »

Due to the very tiny contact area of a whip its basically a lightsaber. Cuts through absolutely anything.

yeah, i forgot pressure's part of it too... What is it, force times surface area?

Either way, whips are massively powerful against flesh but apparently blow against armor.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:45:55 pm »

Unless of course they would be monomolecular whips (if science were able to really develope them)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »

yeah, i forgot pressure's part of it too... What is it, force times surface area?

Either way, whips are massively powerful against flesh but apparently blow against armor.
I've heard it's the other way around; they cut through armor like it was peanut butter, but do the same amount of damage as other weapons on naked flesh.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »

How do you even make a whip made of iron? Iron is a hard, brittle material. I think limiting whips to being constructed of leather or rope might fix this.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »

Maybe they are some kind of thin (or even thick) iron chain, connected to a handle
Pages: [1] 2