Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Serkib: Version 1.2 Released  (Read 3397 times)

Fenrir

Re: Serkib: Version 1.2 Released
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

I'll be releasing 1.2 either today or tomorrow, with the latter being more likely than the former. It will be possible to specify which input file to use, so I did away with worparts.txt and added the following files:

Armok_KOBOLD.txt
Armok_FISH.txt
Armok_WOLF.txt
Sean_wordparts.txt

I've got the file specification down, and I'm now working on that filename abbreviation armok mentioned (example: Typing 'a' instead of 'Armok_KOBOLD').

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

if you are going to use the system I proposed if would be much more convenient to name the files so each begins on a different letter. So Wolf_Armok instead of Armok_wolf.

Edit: And maybe Gibberish_Sean_Mirrsen?

Edit 2: I feel like I am complaining on everything and bossing you around... ;( Am I?

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

I'd be a fool not to listen to the people using my program. Still, I do sometimes feel that much of this program is not my own. I don't think that's your fault, however. It's just that I've so few ideas myself that most of ideas I use are yours, simply because there are more of them. Do you see what I saying? The same applies to Einherjar.

Don't stop giving me feedback. Your input is the only reason this program wasn't abandoned at version 0.1.

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Yea, this is really a collaborative effort: I am using you as a free coder.  :p
I have had an idea for a program like this for a long time, but I never got around the technical problems you solved in five minutes, like reading a file.
This Infinite Inspiration Generator idea, as I call it...

The idea is to replace and release the last bounds between fiction and reality: inspiration. This is done by randomized processes that can inspire, DF is excellent prof of this... it is really a half baked theory.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

I wish I was as good a programmer as you make me seem, Armok. Well, maybe I am a good programmer, but I'm just lazy and disorganized. I guess that would make me a bad programmer then, huh?

Anyway, how badly do you want the abbreviation thing? It's going to take a while (as in, more than five minutes) and the seeded translation is going to be easier to implement. The filename abbreviation is such a small thing I'm thinking of skipping it in favor of cooler stuff.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

Ok, but ave short filenames then, no need to mention author in it for example.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

Hmmm... Multiple input files are scheduled for the next release. Maybe it's more important than I thought. I'll have to add it sooner or later, so I may as well implement it now.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

The translations are really the MOST urgent part actually.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Wait-wait-wait. Armok has given ME an idea now. "Shorter and simpler files are better" is only half true - they can be used to add a theme to the words, but on the whole, having a general "filler" material like various consonants and short sounds is also good - the "filler" will be mixed with the "theme", producing a variety of words that are themed, and yet not constrained to the small number of pieces in the theme file.

So basically, retain the "wordparts" file, but offer to select an additonal "vocabulary" as a theme modification.
Oh, and follow a convention. Either autorename text files to include a number in the front, or just require all vocabularies to have a number - then typing the number will select the file, without shortening filenames or seeking workarounds to display files starting with the same letter.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

Those ideas might be good Sean! Fits in the v1.3 dev, just have the files differently weighted and one could do this easily!
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

This is pretty neat.  I'm horrible at thinking up original names (I think I've only come up with five my entire life) and this would be handy for my originality impaired brain.

Excellent work.  I can see this being only two clicks away on my computer at all times.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fenrir

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

Version 1.2 has been released, such as it is. Not much has changed.

I tried to code in the file abbreviations Armok suggested, but the library I had to use, Boost, has poor documentation. I decided to skip it and move on to cooler dev goals, but I'll probably come back to this in a future release.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

Ok, I tested this now, and no to complain but the file input is horribly cumbersome.
As a temporary measure I think yous shuld give all files very short easy to remember names by default, and put credits in the a separate file
for example:

fish_ARMOK.txt -> fish.txt
wolf_ARMOK.txt -> wolf.txt
kobold_ARMOK.txt -> kobold.txt
gibberish_SEAN.txt -> odd.txt

and so on.

////////////////
As you liked my hornet mod, here is something just for fun:

code:

buzz.txt

szs
biz
qu
kcf
hfs
sl
mn
plh
kkc
zaz
rht
iz
pl
wzp
thp
qvu
mu
ozl
chn
hyz
shl
bsz
gch
bvzs
ixz
trp
ghl
iij
ew
uy
hcg
z's
szs
zhs
zaz
s
z

And remember to when implementing multiply files allow weighting, so you can have it take for example 15% form gibberish_SEAN.txt 80% form either wolf, fish, kobold, buzz, or some other theme file. thus making it themed but have more diversity, as per Seans suggestion. Or it can be used for various other creative purposes as well.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

Okay, so I'm going to change the development goals for v1.3 a little. Before I introduce more files, I need to clean up the UI and clean up my code. I'll keep looking into the boost filesystem library so I check for files. Maybe I should use curses for the interface.

How about something like this:

code:
             Serkib      

a - Generate Random Word File
 b - Translate Word File
 c - Exit

The user presses 'a'.
code:
             Serkib      

gibberish_SEAN.txt O|---
 fish_ARMOK.txt     O|---
 wolf_ARMOK.txt     O|---
 etc. etc.
 Press [ENTER] to generate

The sliders to the right work the same way as the ones you use in import agreements in DF, but they determine the weight of that particular file.
code:
             Serkib      

gibberish_SEAN.txt O|---
 fish_ARMOK.txt     -|O|-
 wolf_ARMOK.txt     |O|--
 etc. etc.
 Press [ENTER] to generate

Then you press enter, the random word file is generated, and your brought back to the main menu. What do you think?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

Eh, if you can get a list of all the files that way then why did you say you couldn't get it to decide file by only the first letters?

I don't think the sliders are a good idea as it limits the user choice, typing a percentage for each file is much better.

The multiply choice sounds good but personally I might prefer numbers as they are ordered on the keyboard.

And you realize this project wont stop at v2.0? Thats only a milestone were we start focusing n things other than generating random words and starts making this a UNIVERSAL infinite i nspiration generator.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3