Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVI [Done]  (Read 30557 times)

Scatterbrain

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Oh PLEASE be my prisoner!'
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVI [Day Two] [Replacement Needed.]
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:07 am »

So busy. UGH. Anyway, this isn't going to be as long as I intended it to be. More at some indeterminate point in the future, hopefully.

The most striking thing I've noticed so far is from sirbayer; the guy with a reuptation (a self-acknowledged one) one aggression and brutality with his scumhunting declares this:

...you broke JetSquirrel, and it looks to me like he broke town.

this after, what, 4 lines worth of reply from Jetsquirrel - a reply that I found far from convincing. That SirTerminator could declare that the accused 'broke town' (which is a major milestone that puts the individual beyond all suspicion) after such a light session of questioning, and with making barely a shadow of an attempt to chase him down even further, as is usually his wont, is highly suspicious and out of character. Especially so given that this came just after a period where SB was coming under some heat for his aggression; he takes the first opportunity to show everyone how nice he is by turning the gas down. Don't like it. What do you have to say for yourself, SirBayer?

I have to say read the scumhunting manual. The entire point of my insane aggression is to prompt reactions like the one I got out of JetSquirrel. It's hard to describe what it is, but when a town player breaks, you should be able to recognize it, or else every bit of all your scumhunting is completely wasted.

JetSquirrel broke town. I stopped voting him. Then he got lynched and he was town. Gee, wonder why I stopped voting him?

If my explanation isn't sufficient for you, I'm sorry. I can't honestly point to anything specific that told me "town." It was just... there.

You're missing my point here. What's fine: you're aggressive. What's NOT fine: this aggression died very, very quickly when you questioned Jet. There are people that you've been hounding for post after post after post - with this guy, you stop after you get a couple of lines after him.
Because, apparantly, you can get the unwavering feeling that he's a townie from that reply.
Pfffft. Yeah, right. As if you can 'tell' that's he's a townie from his response, which is about as substantial as a wet hanky; as if your super-aggressive playstyle is completely abayed by a couple of flimsy responses like those... If he had put up a half-decent argument, or if I could detect anything that gave even as half as strong an indication of towniness as you seem to be detecting, I could believe you. Right now, it just looks pretty ridiculous.

Scatterbrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:42 am »

oh yeah, Azure: if you could go back to answering my FoS, it should help the game get going a bit more. much appreciated.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2010, 11:23:32 am »

Look, I could hammer away with everything I have to make you shut up, but a. you won't listen to me and b. it's a pointless distraction.

I am not convinced that JetSquirrel is town, but I am less convinced about his scumitude than I am about Akigagak's. He's not my target anymore. I'll get back to him if he makes his scumness obvious, but in the meantime, meh.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Azure Sepulchre

• Bay Watcher
  • Y'all have knocked her up.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVI [Day One]
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »

Mmm, fair point. I've kept putting it off because I don't want to re-write everything all over again, but I'll have to do it at some stage and I have a free hour anyway. It'll be a good deal shorter than what I'd originally planned, though; I'm not in the same mood for writing that I was in at the time.

Then there's the USEC vs AzureSepulchre war.

Heh, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a war. T'was a skirmish at best - if even that, considering the majority of the questions I had for USEC in particular shall now forever go unanswered. Ah, well... perhaps the replacement shall be more sporting.

I won't go too in depth on this right now cos I'm tight for time, but basically, I see it like this - USEC's statement of intent was to try and become a better scumhunter this game. Here, this story checks out and makes sense. Azure's, on the other hand, doesn't. I can't really put my finger on it, but the defensive/aggressive balance of his replies don't sit well with me.

I must say, you rather confounded me with this one; in particular, because I'm not entirely sure how to respond to an attack on my 'defensive/aggressive balance'. Are you implying that my posts come across as bi-polar, or are you stating outright that I'm getting apparently angry over meaningless trivialities and dismiss important points? I remember Broody saying something quite similar during the course of my spat with USEC, but that just confuses me even further; mainly because I can't see what it is you both are hinting at. Ergo, if you would be kind enough to give me a few examples of what you are referring to, I would appreciate it.

That, and his focus and intent on making replies in the first place, reminds me of... well, me, when I was scum in BM14 trying to defend from webadict. For that, Azure gets a middling FoS, but I need to do more digging here.

On the other hand, I found this more flattering than anything else - predominantly because I intent to become a part-time writer when I have finished with university, and I take some small measure of pride in the amount of effort I attempt to put into everything I put to Word. Even if I haven't written anything of real note since I began university. I really should start again... >.>

...err, anyway, thanks for the back-handed compliment, I guess. Unless it was something more specific you were referring to?

Azure: I know you intend to answer my FoS - in addition to this, are you surprised the deceased of yesterday/yesternight flipping town?

For Broody... I'm kind of confused by why he was targeted, to tell the truth. Obviously, I was shocked by the discovery he was the doc and pretty bloody irritated that the scum got lucky enough to get him on the first night, but he came across as too relaxed to be much of a threat. Bayer was the one I suspected would die, or perhaps myself if I was right about Jet. Broody, though? Not a strong kill. I think it was most likely noob maf who got spooked by his many FOS's and wanted him gone before he found them, but even that doesn't make sense when Bayer is the larger scum-hunting threat. I dunno...

For Jet... the fact that he's flipped town was a sharp reminder that this really is a beginner's game, which means that even though the scum are more than likely complete beginners, it doesn't mean they can't blend in easily in a beginner's game (yeah, yeah, durp durp, I know... :P); something I suspected would happen earlier in the game, but forgot about when Jet made his pseudo-scum-tell post. Ergo, while USEC seemed pretty obviously scum at the time (exactly like Jet did), I'm more than likely wrong about him just because he was a beginner. Like I've said, I'll need to observe his replacement more carefully than I did USEC - not to mention the rest of you. Bayer I consider safer than most, since he was right about Jet. But if his reputation is anything to go on, he's usually a far fiercer player than this. Whether this implies that he usually get's drafted into scum roles or actually is scum in this game, I'm not sure.

Now then... may as well make a few questions of my own before I head off for RP...

Scatter: Your own announcement that you are town raised hairs initially, but you appear to have taken on a similar laid-back role to Broody. You also seem highly critical of Bayer, but I'm curious: are you criticizing his methods in general, or are you more interested in how differently he seems to be playing this game compared to how he's known for scum-hunting? Do you think he was lucky in correctly dismissing Jet as a town role, or could there be method to the madness?

Spade: Like Jet, you drifted to and fro during the final stages of the voting process, settling only on people who could be lynched and backing up your attacks with nothing but a flimsy reiteration of other peoples deductions. Why were you so eager for a lynch? What really made you settle on Jet?

Agikagak (...I think that's how it's spelled. >.>): Where are you? What are your thoughts on how day 1/night 1 ended? Who is your major FOS for day 2, if anyone? I also asked you a question quite some time ago; I would like to have it answered before I elevate your FOS level to blue. Just because Bayer cleared you doesn't mean the rest of us will ignore you.

Azure Sepulchre

• Bay Watcher
  • Y'all have knocked her up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:02 am »

...wow. >.>

If anything, my response appears to have made matters worse, Scatter. What, was my post that bad or something? ;_;

Scatterbrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »

sorry, been very very busy like i said i might be. will try and squeeze a reply in tomorrow. and don't worry, i don't think it's that post that has killed the thread :p

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:44 pm »

Spade: Like Jet, you drifted to and fro during the final stages of the voting process, settling only on people who could be lynched and backing up your attacks with nothing but a flimsy reiteration of other peoples deductions. Why were you so eager for a lynch? What really made you settle on Jet?

I don't know where I was 'drifting to and fro' with the voting, and I don't remember being eager for a lynch. I'm also pretty sure I used my own reasoning for what I've done.

About jet: He seemed like he really didn't know what he was doing. In most cases where this happened, the person was usually town. I didn't want to take the chance that this time they would actually be mafia, where they would slip right by without a lynching. I thought it might have been some kind of strategy.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »

I told myself I wouldn't do this  again. I told myself I'd kicked the habit for good. But yet I find myself trawling the same old place...

So, I hear a replacement is needed?

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »

We need a lot of replacements.

Talk to Tack.

Why does everyone I argue with disappear?
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »

A lot? But... the title only says singular... and the stickied topic only says one...

WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!?

Scatterbrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:13 am »

at this moment, i don't have time to respond to azure's big ol' post, but i did notice this:

About jet: He seemed like he really didn't know what he was doing. In most cases where this happened, the person was usually town. I didn't want to take the chance that this time they would actually be mafia, where they would slip right by without a lynching. I thought it might have been some kind of strategy.

this is a contradiction of terms, spade. you suggest that he's a noob without a clue, then suggest that he has a plan up his sleeve. this sounds rather like scum trying to trying to give a reasoned answer to a question, but not quite getting the reasoned bit right. what do you have to say for yourself?

Solifuge: you were very keen to be in, yet you haven't made a post. can you give us a fresh perspective on the situation?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:42 pm »

No.

</Org>

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVI [Day Two]
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

Volunteer to replace, withdrawn. This game is obviously kinda dead.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVI [Day Two]
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »

I fully intend to read this soon, but life has kept me pretty busy as of late. As much of an asshat as I feel for my lack of activity, I really haven't gotten a chance to do the reading that would get me caught up, and let me participate effectively.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »

at this moment, i don't have time to respond to azure's big ol' post, but i did notice this:

this is a contradiction of terms, spade. you suggest that he's a noob without a clue, then suggest that he has a plan up his sleeve. this sounds rather like scum trying to trying to give a reasoned answer to a question, but not quite getting the reasoned bit right. what do you have to say for yourself?

I had meant that maybe he was pretending to be a noob.
Sorry if I confused you.

Also, should this game just end? There's too many people missing.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17