Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Forced Education & Learning Thread.  (Read 4255 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Education & Learning Thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 05:40:16 am »

There's definitely a few legitimate concerns about genetically engineered crops, but they're mostly based on the new genes "escaping" rather than any directly adverse effects on humans (so the people who don't want to eat stuff because it's genetically modified are silly).
And how in a world would a gene escape to anywhere? I am baffled.

Anyway, here are some snazzy online resources which might be helpful, if not for this subject, then at least for others.
Personally, I'd love to see a "book club"-styled thingy, where people choose an online course to follow, and then discuss, review and generally talk about the subject in question. Just thinking aloud(?).

http://academicearth.org/ - a repository of online courses from universities like MIT, Harvard and whatnot. The biology section doesn't contain any strictly "genetic engineering" related courses, but I suppose there are at least a few lectures within, which relate to the current subject.

http://thesciencenetwork.org/ - these are more of a collection of panels and individual lectures, rather than academic courses. Good for keeping track of current developments in a given field, and simply fun to watch, as inteligent people talk about their passions(like, their scientific focus, not their sexual adventures).

http://richarddawkins.net/ - Richard Dawkins' own website. The man is a great popularizer of scientific thought in general, biology in particular. Don't go there if you want to mix science with religion - Dawkins will eat your head.

http://lesswrong.com/ - great site if you want to get an intuitive, yet in-depth explanation of scientific thoughts too heavy on technical jargon to approach. Somewhat hard to navigate, and more focused on philosophy of science rather than any particular subject, but if you'll ever want to get a hang of e.g.quantum physics(in a qualitative way), this is the place to go to.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:43 am »

To throw in 'The Farmer's Opinion' on genetic engineering.

In Australia, we widely use genetically engineered cotton, which is resistant to many bugs which plague the cotton industry as a whole. This saves an amazing amount on various pesticides and sprays, obviously. However, there is a catch.
The reason that we use genetically engineered cotton is because the common pests to cotton are very fast, evolution-wise, and, as such, have gained a resistance to many of the specific-non (plant) harmful pesticides. In order to combat the bugs becoming resistant, or used to, the genetically engineered cotton, there is a government mandate that your total cotton farm must be no more than 20% genetically engineered cotton. This obviously leaves another 80% for you to cry over- etc.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

http://richarddawkins.net/ - Richard Dawkins' own website. The man is a great popularizer of scientific thought in general, biology in particular. Don't go there if you want to mix science with religion - Dawkins will eat your head.

Actually, just forget about his involvement in religion. I hate it when people hear that I'm an atheist and think I'm going to act exactly like Dawkins, it's a serious pain in the backside.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:48 am »

I would of begun
I suggest english grammar :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 11:57:53 am »

There's definitely a few legitimate concerns about genetically engineered crops, but they're mostly based on the new genes "escaping" rather than any directly adverse effects on humans (so the people who don't want to eat stuff because it's genetically modified are silly).

Cross-pollination/breeding?  Fields are grown outside, where there is wind, which carries seeds to other fields... and so on, and so forth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Cross-pollination/breeding?  Fields are grown outside, where there is wind, which carries seeds to other fields... and so on, and so forth.

Also, two other potential vectors (no pun intended) are:

1. Ingestion/excretion. You typically don't absorb the DNA of what you eat, but it can hang around in fragmentary form in the gut for some time. It also would be present in excreta. Both of these are more important because of....

2. Microbial transport. Bacteria and viruses, on the other hand, are fairly good at acquiring new DNA from hosts over long spans of time. There's been some fascinating work done with DNA analyses of humans and influenza virii over evolutionary time, which suggests that not only did the flu pick up bits of human DNA code along the way, but that possibly humans have incorporated bits of DNA code from the flu, over an evolutionary timespan. One school of thought holds that such two-way transfers can serve (again, over evolutionary timespans) to transfer DNA from one species to another by way of a microbial "middleman".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »

That photosynthesizing green sea slug oft talked about recently is an extreme example of horizonal gene transfer: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/green-sea-slug/
In general, nothing that extreme happens frequently, and for the most part it is merely micro-organisms absorbing a gene or two. This can then transfer said genes into other crops or organisms where they can become active once again. It is rare, but far from impossible.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »

Also, I've learned that the dna code in cells has protective tips at the end of their strands.  Every time a gene devides, this tip gets smaller, (atleast, in most species it does: Lobsters.)  This tip can most easily be related to a shoe lace's tip, protecting the ends of the genes from fraying.  Once the gene devides enough times, it no longer has this protective tip and genes have a much easier time mutating which can lead to debilitating deseases related to old age.

However, single celled organisms dont reduce the size of this tip when they device, and are essentially immortal.

A theory as to why most multi celled organisms reduce the size of this protective tip is to reduce the chance of cancer.  A creature is forced to produce offspring before it mutates from natural causes and produces flawed offspring.  There was also a way to prevent a cell from shortening it's gene tips in a peetri dish with a specific substance.  Unfortunately the substance, (if I recall correctly.) is the biproduct of cancerous genes.  So immortality is a balancing act between cancer and cell degeneration.

Alot of what I posted is vague because I cant quite remember all the details from the soure. . . which I also cant remember.

It's been a lot longer than a week.  I've been working 11-14 hour days for the past two weeks roughly.  But I'm on a more lenient schedual for the next while.  A new subject/skill/topic would be appreciated.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »

Research the history of the indigenous peoples of central Australia.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »

Kill somebody and learn how to go undetected.

DON'T DO THAT AT ALL.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 03:15:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why did you post a sweaty black man who is staring at something?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]