Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Forced Education & Learning Thread.  (Read 4273 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Education & Learning Thread.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »

Only if we read cool stuff like...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's your choice.  Maybe we should have more than one, or something... I know that my taste tends to be more classical than modern.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 06:48:05 pm »

How does a book club work anyway? Never been in one, and never seen one on the net.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »

How does a book club work anyway? Never been in one, and never seen one on the net.

A group of people decides to read a book by a certain time, and then discusses it.  Repeat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 06:50:38 pm »

Hmph. Of course.

If you do start one, I'm game.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »

There's definitely a few legitimate concerns about genetically engineered crops, but they're mostly based on the new genes "escaping" rather than any directly adverse effects on humans (so the people who don't want to eat stuff because it's genetically modified are silly).

Except for those who are extremely allergic to [x organism] and aren't so sure about genes spliced in from [x organism].  For example, the FlavrSavr tomato uses fish genes.

It may still be silly, but it makes a little bit more sense.
Allergies are caused by reactions to specific antigens, which I believe can be tested for in foods, regardless of their origin. Correct me if I'm wrong, but food allergens are also almost universally of protein origin (for instance, my mom, who is deathly allergic to peanuts, can eat products with peanut oil, though she doesn't usually risk it), so unless they used the specific protein that creates the reaction, you're almost certainly fine. If labs don't already test for the antigens a person reacts to when finding out the cause of an allergic reaction, the food distributors could also include a list of commonly reacted-to antigens that their product has been found to include.

Or else a person could just not eat it if they think it might be a problem, just like they don't eat fish.

I like this thread. Will be following along quietly and putting in input where I can :)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 07:20:50 pm »

Right, the problem is that (as far as I know--it's been two years since I've needed this information) they aren't required to say where the genes came from or which proteins are being produced, and don't check for antigens in the finished product.  Not surprising, given that the precise genes used are probably a company secret, but there you have it.  Then, there might not be an easy choice to partake of GMOs or not, given their likelihood to dominate markets.

Meh.  Who knows, anyhow.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »

It just irritates me that the people pushing to ban GMO completely fail to realize there's already an enormous amount of regulation and pressure from the FDA and public to produce stuff that, you know, doesn't kill their customers. At least not in an immediate and entertaining way. Then efforts to use it to solve other problems, such as improved crops in impoverished areas, are hurt by hipster health-food windbags that still think "all natural" means "safe".

</rant> <useful>Hey, did you guys know about this? http://bbf.openwetware.org/</useful>
Music, Ballpoint

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:06 pm »

<useful>Hey, did you guys know about this? http://bbf.openwetware.org/</useful>

Oh my crap I want to see this come to fruition. Almost sounds like a toy... "Hey, kids! Assemble your own organisms today!"

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

It's more of a tool for nanotech using proteomics than to produce living organisms, and a scary one at that. People don't normally think of proteins as anything but stuff a critter is made of, but they're actually complex three dimensional reactive structures, so they could potentially be used to make complex three dimensional structures that make diamond or other useful materials, eat toxic materials, do interesting computations, fixate oxygen/carbon/hydrogen into powerful explosives...

In analogy with programming, we're at the stage where we don't even have Assembly - everything is done by hand, down to the metaphorical logic gates and light bulbs. As far as I know, no one has made anything that actually reproduces itself. We may or may not be decades from being at the high-level language stage, where I don't even want to imagine the chaos oh god... Considering how useful this kind of thing could be, it might be a lot closer than that.
Music, Ballpoint

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »

The future sounds awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:41 pm »

The future sounds awesome.
It always does.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »

Yeah, it's awesome living in a time full of flying cars and hover-packs.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »

And now I'm sad again.

Good job.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

Trying to keep up with my thread, but work with overtime rolled in hard.  With off work hours that must be occupied with work related activities.

Maybe next week's topic will be dedicated to teaching each other how to do our jobs?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:46 am »

So, when are we going to learn to genetically engineer dinosaurs? OP should have synopsis of what we learned.. most likely suggested textbooks or online reading material on the subject.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4