Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: power 2010  (Read 736 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
power 2010
« on: September 19, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

is it possible to create a dwarven dynamo by manually pumping water into the path of a water wheel?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: power 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:00 pm »

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »

excellent, thank you
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »

What, like a reactor?

I think if you pump water into a channel that loops back around behind the pump you can power something like 4 water wheels? I've never done it because i honestly can't find a use for power outside over-elaborate drowning traps and i've given up on bothering with magma pump stacks after spending a whole day on one and then having the bottom pump be built backwards and not be accessible anymore.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »

just a note on perpetual motion, connect it through the top of the screw pump with a gear assembly. Other wise you flood everywhere with water, don't ask me why it does, it just does

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »

the wiki actually has some great designs. you could do other things too, like create a millcity and export tons of wheat and such

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »

3 ww's can power 10 storeys of pumps + millstone if your efficient. Or maybe I'm broken

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

What, like a reactor?

I think if you pump water into a channel that loops back around behind the pump you can power something like 4 water wheels? I've never done it because i honestly can't find a use for power outside over-elaborate drowning traps and i've given up on bothering with magma pump stacks after spending a whole day on one and then having the bottom pump be built backwards and not be accessible anymore.

A trick I learned with large pump-stack construction is that if you build an axle next to your pumps, then they will have guaranteed support and it only comes at a cost of increasing their power requirements by 10%.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."