Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interrupted by Gem Setter.  (Read 1146 times)

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
Interrupted by Gem Setter.
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

Okay, so I was playing DF, and still am at the moment, and I noticed a long string of red notifications that said," Ulrist McCarpenter etc... interrupted by Gem Setter."
He was interrupting my entire stone relocation and cave excavation project... He is attacking all of my dwarves. There's blood all along the halls, and right now he has a guy cornered and is beating the crap out of him. All the rest of my dwarves are lining up in the hallway watching from a distance...
What is the best course of actions that I can take in order to subdue this maniac of a gem setter? My fortress is still new, but I managed to get a marksdwarf and swordsdwarf trained up. Should I just finish my gem setter off? If so, how do I sic my military on him? I'm still somewhat of a noob, thanks for any help haha.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interrupted by Gem Setter.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:30 pm »

Okay, now that I looked at the situation better, he is holding all of my dwarves hostage in a room... My military's still in the barracks though.
My Tanner is still getting the crap beaten out of him, there's blood everywhere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »

Was your gemcutter in a fey/strange/posessed mood? Maybe he failed the mood and went beserk. Alternatively, the gemcutter was very unhappy for a while and just snapped.

Either way, you should have gotten a notification, screen recenter, and pause that someone went beserk.

If possible, lock him inside a room somewhere (should have done that in the first place when he went beserk), since a beserk dwarf is hostile to everybody, just get your soldiers over to him. Also, you can send your legendary miners after the beserk dwarf, legendary miners are generally able to kill enemies and beserk dwarves pretty easily.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »

militia, or build a wall around him, i think militia might cause a civil war

make sure you have a sheriff too, if not, then no one will get him

AND

if you dont have a chain/cage for the sheriff to put him in, he will use the best "other" method of dealing with criminals

physical punishment

dont make your lumberjack the sheriff (the gore! oh god the gore!)
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:23 pm »

Lol, thanks. I did that, set a sherrif and all. But, while my Gem Setter's slaughtering my dwarves, my sherrif's drinking and take a nap... And the Gem Setter killed all the dwarves trying to construct a wall around him.
I think all hope is lost, since I've lost a large amount of my population.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

For the record, non-scheduled squad orders can be done with [ s ] quad -> <squad letter, starts with 'a' for the first created> --> [ m ] ove, then designate a destination near the zerker. once that's done, select the squad again and press [ o ] to clear their orders and let them go back to whatever they were doing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:33:02 pm »

killing a berzerker doesnt cause a civil war, the berzerker is assumed to be hostile. which he most definitely is.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

But all the dwarves that the gem setter got buddy-buddy with aren't gonna be happy when they see his head rolling down the hallway... assuming the gem setter didn't just kill them in the first place.
Current Fort: NatureRags

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:26:12 am »

well yeah, but thats a tantrum spiral. i thought you were talking about a loyalty cascade
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »

I had something like that today. The third migrant wave came, and after I'd sorted them all out, a fight broke out for no reason I could discern. No failed mood. No unhappy dwarves -- the new guys and gals were at the default "quite content" and everyone else was some shade of happy. Really odd. I reloaded (yeah, still "scumming" in some situations) and managed to prevent the fight after a few attempts by sticking the rioters in a new squad and ordering them on station. They stood there nice and calm, I canceled the order, disbanded the squad, and everything was fine.

Weirdos.