Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Religiously, they face the east. When they can.  (Read 1415 times)

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religiously, they face the east. When they can.
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »

It seems somewhat odd that all of the dwarves I've had choose to stand to the left (west) of whatever they are doing, be it: mining, construction, deconstruction, really anything they have to stand next to. Just thought I'd point out this seemingly zealous theme, and if anyone else had noticed this.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religiously, they face the east. When they can.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:21:28 pm »

yeah this is basically why when you dig out a gigantic square room starting at the bottom right. Dwarves dig to the top left and then start clearing everything out.

At one point there was a bug where if dwarves couldn't build from a certain side they wouldn't do it at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:22:17 pm »

Its just the way the pathing system works. Which unfortunately, leads to dwarven stupidity more often than not. If you have ever designated a large area for anything, they'll always work west to east, top to bottom when possible. Even when its the least efficient way to do whatever it is that they are doing.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »

i notice they build on the top left side of stuff i.e

Code: [Select]
D=dorf
W=wall

..D..
WWWWW
or
.W
.W
DW
.W
.W

at least my dwarfs
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »

can't seem to find where it states it in MagmaWiki, but dwarfs have a hard coded preference on where to stand while mining or building constructions.
1#2

and I forget the order for the diagonal squares- but that only really applies to mining and deconstruction

if the square is occupied by another dorf or a building designation, they will avoid using it unless all options are thus occupied (which means you can prevent them from standing somewhere while constructing stuff by designating a wall and suspending it!)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:16 pm »

Dwarf mecca? That's what I assume.

It would also explain why they need to go on break 5 times every day.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »

I never noticed this.  To me it always seems they dig out a room at random, as inefficiently as possible so that it takes the longest amount of time before a usable area is available.
Seriously.  One time they dug out what was very nearly a checkerboard pattern.  I wished really hard that I could go into the game just so I could slap all of my miners.

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:56:51 pm »

can't seem to find where it states it in MagmaWiki, but dwarfs have a hard coded preference on where to stand while mining or building constructions.
1#2

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:How_do_I_construct_a_wall_from_a_particular_direction
LINKAGE!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 04:00:21 pm »

If you're having trouble with idiot haulers building themselves into rooms, you can build a wall in front of the place you want the real wall, then build another wall where the only way it can be built from is the side you want, they cannot(or will not?) build walls diagonally so they will go to the only free side.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02:14 pm »

If you're having trouble with idiot haulers building themselves into rooms, you can build a wall in front of the place you want the real wall, then build another wall where the only way it can be built from is the side you want, they cannot(or will not?) build walls diagonally so they will go to the only free side.

Really useful if your building anything that blocks: floodgates, grates, even digging channels!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

It doesn't work with channels - my miners keep channeling themselves into the same square as the wall while digging my pumpstack.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 05:12:29 pm »

1#2

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:How_do_I_construct_a_wall_from_a_particular_direction
LINKAGE!

thanks, but that article doesn't contain the order of preference of the 8 directions.

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 05:17:24 pm »

first, for building, there is only 4, and if you look at it, you might see that you can place the 'fake' walls where you don't want them to stand. Oh wait, you had a problem?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »

The wall suspend method doesn't work if you have florring down, but placing some random furniture and suspending it seems to work.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »

first, for building, there is only 4, and if you look at it, you might see that you can place the 'fake' walls where you don't want them to stand. Oh wait, you had a problem?

It applies for things besides building.

You quoted me saying I couldn't find the order of preference for all eight directions, so i assumed you were responding to me.
Pages: [1] 2