Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia capitan with bronze axe/looks like bad idea.  (Read 1220 times)

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia capitan with bronze axe/looks like bad idea.
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »

Yeah. My spear-dwarf lost his pet and went little mad, threw some tables and all was allright. I was just happy that he didn't kill someone (like once my crossbow dwarf did, bashing someones head open ;/).

But then, guard capitan appeared to served hammerdwarf kind of justice. He severed speardwarf's hand away. he CUT OFF my WARRIOR'S hand.
I'm wondering.. should i equip all guards with copper maces or turn them into wrestlers? I have problems with extra jobs for my soldiers and they sometimes get unhappy (and also they get unhappy after only one month of training duty ;/).

And another question, should i keep my soldiers that are without one hand? Well, my one-handed crossbow dwarf shoots fine (i thinks so) and i think this wont be so bad for my spear dwarf not to have any shield, but idk.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Militia capitan with bronze axe/looks like bad idea.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »

Equip them all with whips. It's stylistically appropriate, and then your dwarves can walk around with their skulls smashed into their brains.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »

well, th point is i DON'T want my guards to kill my dwarfs and from what i know, whips and scrouges are quite powerfull in new version

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:02:13 pm »

I had an axedwarf lose a hand, then win a fight, then i can only assume he found a way to cauterize the wound or apply a tourniquet, as he immediately stopped bleeding. He promptly picked up his shield with the same hand he was using his axe with and never took another injury. He was able to block and attack just fine, despite having both items in one hand. I figure he just had someone strap it to his forearm.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:53:38 pm »

I had an axedwarf lose a hand, then win a fight, then i can only assume he found a way to cauterize the wound or apply a tourniquet, as he immediately stopped bleeding. He promptly picked up his shield with the same hand he was using his axe with and never took another injury. He was able to block and attack just fine, despite having both items in one hand. I figure he just had someone strap it to his forearm.
Tough bastard, my dorf went crazy after losing an arm. A good one too, perfect specs and attributes to make him anything, yet one lost limb after one goblin fight and she went totally bonkers and died by starving, despite 2 children, pets and a hubby to comfort her.

I also made her the guard captain because I figured she couldn't kill too many dorfs with just one arm and no weapons, Still went crazy.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

hinkz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »

I have an axe dwarf who lost his shield hand in a battle with a 9 headed hydra. He's still around, married to another axedwarf who likes to carry her baby into battle with her. Seems to do fine, though I nicknamed him 'Lefty' lol.

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

womens in military is another problem for me. I've stopped female recruitment after dozen of babies get their motor nerves shatered and were unable to walk for rest of their lives, before they were able to do simple tasks...

i feel bad about laughting at this tho :<

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »

Equip them with wooden training weapons.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:11 am »

Just make a prison with food/drink stockpile, beds, tables, workshops, material stockpiles and chains covering all that stuff. Dwarves will be chained instead of beaten, and imprisoned dwarves will do their work as they can reach the workshops and get the material.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:31:29 am »

Just make a prison with food/drink stockpile, beds, tables, workshops, material stockpiles and chains covering all that stuff. Dwarves will be chained instead of beaten, and imprisoned dwarves will do their work as they can reach the workshops and get the material.

Imprisoned dwarves can only reach the 8 squares next to their chain. Workshops won't work, but food/booze/bed will. I put mine in the middle of the dining hall... Probably the best 'jail' experience  you can have.
While I'm not 100% certain, beatings can still occur when you have a prison. Make your Captain of the Guard unarmed, or better yet a cripple. I'd rather see a noble tantruming due to lack of criminal punishment, than have my best armorsmith murdered for not making enough fine pewter or some rubbish.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:32:37 am »

I learned a bad lessen with axes and captains of the guard. I had my captain of the guard, and two other dwarfs in his squad all tantrum upon picking up their equipment, which resulted in a giant blood bath, where the captain of the guard stuck one dwarf in the face, and that dwarf cut off his toes, then he after winning the fight dragged off the other dwarf and ignored that he was suppose to be prisoned too, and I was like, okay, but oh wait, he imprisoned the tantrum dwarf, with an axe still in his hand on a chain? He was starving, and killed every dwarf that tried to feed him. At the massive loss of life, my whole squad of guard dwarfs, and tantruming peasants, all went crazy, and started killing everybody. I didn't feel bad as the fort was flooding with water from one end, and lava from the other, oh lovely volcanic oceans, you are so amazing. But still NEVER GIVE THEM WEAPONS, EVER. EVER.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz