Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone cleanup?  (Read 503 times)

KamenRiderNixa

• Bay Watcher
  • Every morning, before a mirror, I wash my face.
    • View Profile
Stone cleanup?
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »

Hello forums, nice to meet you. :D

Okay, so i was wondering if there was a faster way, (other than having all my dwarves constantly hauling to a stockpile) of getting stone out of the way when mining. If there's one thing I haven't figured out, it's that. I've got a stockpile set for the stones, and i have my mason constantly churning out doors, thrones, and blocks. It's just not quick enough.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Stone cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »

I like setting up a couple dwarves catapulting stones into a channeled out, inaccessible area. The stones get piled up on top of one another in an endless pile, which you can later access if you want them by opening the inaccessible area, or which you can instantly destroy with an atom smasher if you prefer at a later date.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

KamenRiderNixa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »

Okay, so would I just dig a channel and set it as a garbage dump or something?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:58:20 pm »

1.  Dig a channel  (d > h)
2.  Designate an activity zone, garbage dump (i > g)
3.  Designate the unwanted stone to be dumped (d > b > d for mass dumping or k > d for individual stones)
4.  Watch as your dwarves dump the stone.  It can go quickly if you select your dump site well, or if you use multiple dump sites.
5.  When you're done with each dump site, construct a floor over it (d > C > f)
6.  Build a mason's shop or mechanic's shop next to the pile of stone on the floor below.
7.  Un-forbid the dumped stone.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:09:11 pm »

1.  Dig a channel  (d > h)
2.  Designate an activity zone, garbage dump (i > g)
3.  Designate the unwanted stone to be dumped (d > b > d for mass dumping or k > d for individual stones)
4.  Watch as your dwarves dump the stone.  It can go quickly if you select your dump site well, or if you use multiple dump sites.
5.  When you're done with each dump site, construct a floor over it (d > C > f)
6.  Build a mason's shop or mechanic's shop next to the pile of stone on the floor below.
7.  Un-forbid the dumped stone.

I have to thank you! This has helped me with my prisoner problem! I just forgot to make a garbage dump.

Leonidas, you earn a gold star for this!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

KamenRiderNixa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »

Wow, cool process, Leonidas. Now, does the dump go over the channel, or on the floor beneath it?

Neeeever mind, found it out. Wow, that made quick work of my stone mess, much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:35:01 pm by KamenRiderNixa »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »

Could stone cleanup be done by setting stone boiling point low enough for one game run?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:43:56 pm »

Could stone cleanup be done by setting stone boiling point low enough for one game run?

Yeah, but you're going to lose *ALL* of it, and there's no telling what will happen to the walls.

Just set it to 10015 and it should instantly evaporate when you re-load your save. No clue what else will happen though. You may destroy every single stone floor and wall of that type that isn't constructed.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »

I'll try it, sounds even better than a nuclear catsplosion. As long as I can get DF to work for me  :-\