Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)  (Read 33554 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2010, 09:15:45 am »

Day 14, 15 & 16

Dear diary,

I think I'm being haunted by madness. First with my paranoia, then the giant wall project that nearly killed me, the diamond, the lava...

And after I put you down last time, I ate redstone. I can't believe I did it.

Ever since I ate it, I felt no urge for sleep. An increasing surge of energy flowed through me, urging to get out. I went out for a walk to see if it disappeared.

Since I had the chance, I decided to throw away my stone picks over the wall. There's no need for them now, I have iron and diamond ones. Good riddance.

The energy inside me just increased. I needed an outlet. That's when I got the idea... since I was stuck here, in the middle of nowhere, the only thing here for me to do is to build. And if I was going to build, I was going to build big. That's where I got the idea of remaking the watchtower. It was going to be tall. Taller than tall.

First of all, I tore down the platform. The old pillar I could keep, but the rest of the tower was going to be made of stone.

I made a larger pillar, hollowed out on the inside and with torches roughly every five meters(I have no accurate measuring tools). There was a ladder on the inside I could climb.

Speaking of ladders, I was going to need a lot of it. Tall towers means tall ladders.

I even had to effectivize by putting a space between each ladder piece. 'Course, it's only a small inconvenience.

I had worked for 24 hours, but I just wouldn't run out of energy. I did run out of ladder, though.

It was already nightfall again, but I needed that lumber. I went out with an axe, and chopped down a couple of trees.

Luckily I found no monsters. I had the lumber.

I went inside, chopped the wood into sticks, and made more ladder pieces. I hurried right back to work.

Finally, after three, no wait, two days... I can't believe it, I have a horrible sense of time. Gonna have to scratch out day 16.
Anyway! After two full days and nights of work, I had finished the watchtower.

The view was breathtaking. I was literally in the clouds!

...the view down the ladder hole made me cringe, though. One misstep, and I'm gonna fall. Far.

Looking at the tower from the ground, I got that mixed feeling of pride and satisfaction I had when I made the fort wall. The difference between this and the wall being that I'm not in such pain my entire body is numb, and the wall doesn't reach all the way into the clouds.

I was so amazed by how fantastic it was up in the tower, I only wanted to be up there. I took the diary with me and climbed all the way up.

I just sat up there and relaxed under the gentle sun. First now I felt even a hint of tiredness. Though I think that's from the work I did, not my lack of sleep.

Such a fantastic view so far up.

I hanged out in the tower all the way until nightfall. Normally I'd sleep now, but... I can't sleep, and I don't need to sleep. Now it's either work or relaxing. I just hope the redstone doesn't have any nasty side effects.
Now it's time for work. I've decided to move up here in the tower. I'll grab anything even remotely useful in the cave, and haul it all up here. I'll probably expand the platform, maybe even make another floor, and dig a hole below the tower so I can get directly to the mines. I will no longer need the cave.

Normally I'd say "good night", but since I don't sleep anymore, I'll just have to settle with a...
"See you later."

OOC: Phew, had to rewrite the entire update. Really makes my blood boil, losing all my work.
So now I have an awesome tower. It's building things like this that makes me have fun playing Minecraft. That redstone thing really lets me play out the night while avoiding plot holes. Oh, and yeah, I did actually think I played 3 in-game days, but it looks like I only played 2. Hmph. If you're lucky, you'll get one, possibly a double update, tonight.
And one last thing; I'm not leaving today anyway. It's been moved to tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:48:03 am by Dwarf Midget »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:17 am »

I'm waiting.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:03 am »

I'm waiting.
Bump because I just updated. I deserve being bumped.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »

Might juuuust also fire up Minecraft again :)

Stupid Java, though. >:(
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:31 pm »

What version are you running? Clouds are supposed to be 3D but yours are 2D, could it be because you're using simple graphics?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »

Nice tower. You know that if you hold shift it prevents you from walking off ledges right? (it'll come in handy preventing total death from falling)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2010, 03:06:23 am »

What version are you running? Clouds are supposed to be 3D but yours are 2D, could it be because you're using simple graphics?
Yeah, it reduces lag. When I play with far view, simple graphics, I get 10-20 FPS. It would be worse if my puny graphics card would have to do even more work.

@Yaddy1, of course. If I hadn't used sneak, I'd be dead twice by now.

Since I didn't do yesterday's update, that means a double update today. Oh, and apparently I'm not leaving anyway. That means more regular updates for you guys :D

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2010, 06:11:54 am »

Cool. Awesome LP.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2010, 05:27:51 pm »

Day 16 & 17

Dear diary;

The first thing I did since my last entry was to cut down a few more trees and make ladders. I was going to need them for my mine shaft.

I dug carefully, making sure that I wouldn't fall through a cavern, or worse, magma.

I ran out of ladder pieces, though. I was going to need more lumber.

Briefly I considered tearing down a bit of the wall and make ladders out of it.

...I laughed at myself and made an axe. The wall was staying. More trees would be cut. Sure, it was night, but it was a risk I could live with.

Zombies and skeletons ambushed me. I rushed inside and closed the door. They seemed to abandon the chase.

The sun was coming up, so I waited patiently while the monsters got roasted.

I climbed up the wall and made sure they were gone. Not a trace.

Since I couldn't cut trees anytime I wanted, I decided to stock up on lumber.

On my tree-slaughtering rampage, I encountered a memorable monument. The floating stone. There must be magic at work in this place. There's so much that can only be explained through magic.

After my outside visit, I hurried back to the workbench and made more ladders. Hopefully it would be sufficient.

Oh, and remember what I said about not falling into a cavern? I did anyway. It was the first one I had found, so it was lit up and no monsters were there. I guess it's useful having the tunnel connected to the cave.

I ran out of ladders pieces again. Climbing up and down the shaft should be tiresome, but the redstone not only makes me tireless, I think it strengthens my muscles, too. I seem not to care about all the climbing and hauling anymore.

More ladder was made.

More moon was rised.

And guess what? A few more meters down, I hit invinci-rock. So much for all the ladder I had made.

I started mining a bit, but I shortly encountered Mr. Magma. I'm getting used to blocking him off.

When I looked up my final ladder shaft, I was amazed at how far it reached. From the very top to the very bottom. Wow.

Once I was aboveground again, I looked up at the moon, thinking about time. I thought I was losing track of time, and I still do.

The solution? The same way prison inmates do it. Write it in stone. In the middle of my garden, there was now a large "16" made out of stone. I'll update it every day, that way I can keep track of time better. Though, since I have a diary to write in, it may be useless... but I will nonetheless use it.

Now, it was time for me to move to the sky.

I disassembled the furnace, workbench, and chest, and brought everything I could with me.

I brought everything up into the tower, expanded the floor, and set up what I had.

I stuffed a lot of "junk" I had on me into the chest, and threw one of my picks which was almost broken out of the tower. Now I had a much lighter load to carry.

I climbed down again to retrieve what I had left... but it was gone! Everything! Gone without a trace! I was shocked. How could it be? Had someone taken it? Had it simply disappeared?

I checked outside the wall, where I had thrown away my stone picks. They were gone too. Only the iron pick I had thrown out of the tower was left. Was there something in my fort? No... no. It was magic. Yeah, it was magic. That's what I wanted, and still want to believe, anyway...

After this, to understate it, puzzling event, I updated my calendar to day 17.

I went up into the tower again, confused, and almost a bit scared.
Now, diary... the rest of my memory here is fuzzy. I fainted when I was about to make some new furnaces... or was it when I was about to place them? After? My memory says I did place it, but when I woke up, nothing was there. The scary part is, the stone I had used to make it was still gone. All these things that's happening. The magic. The monsters. The choices. What's happening to me? Am... am I going mad? Or am I already mad... is all of this... in my head?

I abandoned the thought. It did not matter, and I did not want to think about it. I made the furnaces, and tried to calm my nerves by enjoying the view. I think it worked.

The view I had from the top of the ladder must've been what really cleared my thoughts. Or blew my thoughts, because the distance down was mind-blowing(get it? ugh, can't believe I'm making puns to myself. Oh well, it's my own diary, I can do what I want.)

I took the trek down to the mines again, and started digging. I immideatly found iron, which cheered me up. Iron was needed very much, especially since I lost everything I had in the chest.

I encountered Mr. Magma again. He keeps trying to give me a hug. I don't like hugs from anything with a temperature above the boiling point.

But this time, Magma got what he wanted. After finding magma three times in the same area, I was too slow for once. The magma touched me, and I went aflame. I got the magma blocked off. But the fire, it wouldn't go out. I was in extreme pain. Everything was getting dark...

I woke up again on the surface. All my belongings were gone. I didn't know anything. Why was I alive? Was I alive? Did I die? I didn't know. I'm still not sure.

I climbed down. In a haze, the only thought I followed was the one that wanted answers. I had a feeling they were down there.

They were, to a certain extent. All my items were laying scattered on the ground. Where I died. Was I still dead? I looked at myself. Felt my chest. No, I was still alive. Warm, and heart beating.

I grabbed all of my items and put them on in my usual fashion. I needed to clear my thoughts. Think through everything.

I climbed up to my new home. I slumped into the corner, thinking through everything that had happened. The redstone. The redstone... could it be what is making this happen? Could redstone really be magic? Pure magic? Maybe the monsters contain redstone... maybe the floating stone had redstone, too. And I. I contained redstone. I never got tired. I was stronger. I had come back to life... I am immortal. All of this is hard to swallow. I need to rest on the thoughts.

See you later, diary.

OOC: Suddenly this story is becoming darker. Then again, I like when the plot thickens :V
And when I said I fainted? Minecraft crashed. I had made the furnace, placed it, then after the crash it was gone. Man, all of this stuff makes for great story material.
EDIT: And I just noticed; I have the most viewed active thread here, second to the X-Com one. I SHALL BEAT YOU, X-COM!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:45:44 pm by Dwarf Midget »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2010, 05:45:52 pm »

MOAR

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »

MOAR
Every time you boost my ego, my will to make moar increases a little.

(note: I'm not implying that you should spam my thread with praise. Just sayin')
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:50:26 pm by Dwarf Midget »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »

You need to make a grassy terrace on your tower. Make a staircase up of dirt tiles, cover the to-be terrace in dirt, and wait a bit.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2010, 06:03:06 pm »

You need to make a grassy terrace on your tower. Make a staircase up of dirt tiles, cover the to-be terrace in dirt, and wait a bit.
Maybe I'll do that after I've mined for iron. Remember those minecarts? I want them.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2010, 06:15:25 pm »

This is starting to remind me horribly of waiting for Godot.  The apparent timelessness, the sinking sensation of despair.  The inability to really recall with detail the day before.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »

I'll update tomorrow; day played, but no time for writing. Maybe I'll write it in the morning, or after breakfast or something. Meh, I'm off to bed now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16