Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)  (Read 33539 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 12:14:29 pm »

Wow mac really does handle screenshots better. It just saves them to a folder automatically. I knew that's what printscreen did by default but I thought you could set it to automatically save pictures...
That's what you get a decidated screen capture program for. I love my ScreenshotCaptor.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

Day 10

Dear diary;

Still holding on to a grain of redstone, I woke up to the sunrise today. It was time to see what it could do.

After some experimenting, I found out I could make a torch out of it. I wasn't sure if there was any other things it could do yet.

The redstone doesn't seem to glow all the time, only when recieving physical force, like from my pick, or when made into a torch(though I'm not sure how it gets energy from being a torch). However, judging by how all the redstone in the rocks I mine it from react to a single blow, I had a theory it could conduct the energy.

From this theory hatched an idea. I put cobblestone in my furnace and melted them smooth, and made stone plates out of them.

I made a fuse that went up to the redstone torch, and put a stone plate on top of the redstone. I stepped on it...

And things happened. I was correct. When I stepped on the plate, my weight gave the redstone below a constant source of physical force. It went along the whole fuse, all the way to the torch, and the torch stopped glowing. When I stepped off the plate, it went back to normal. Maybe the redstone reacts to energy, and the energy from the fuse neutralised the energy of the torch. That's the only sense I can make out of it.

With this in mind, I tried putting it into action on other objects. I put a pressure plate with redstone beneath it in front of the door and connected it to the doorframe. I was surprised to see that it popped open once I stepped on the plate. It's as if the redstone knows it's purpose, and acts likewise. If this isn't magic, it's pretty close. Since there are zombies and skeletons here, I won't deny the theory. Anyway, now I have an automatic door. Nifty.

Since the redstone knew what it was to do, and maybe react to, I wondered if it reacted to levers. I made some for later testing.

While at the crafting table, I decided I'd improve my mine a bit. I made stone stairs. Lots of them.

And I put them all the way down. Now I won't have to CLIMB all the way up.

Time flied, and it was already night. I didn't get to do much today.

I slumped into the corner, studying the redstone in the torchlight. Could it really have magic powers? I wondered if it could do more.
I'm gonna have to do more tests tommorow. If redstone is magic, then grasping it would give me a very powerful tool. I can't wait to see what else it can do.

Good night.

OOC: Yeah, redstone is fun. I don't have enough iron yet to make anything involving carts, so that'll have to wait until I've mined a whole bunch.
On another note, I seem to have guests in the LP field, as dwarfguy2, and possibly Spade(yeah, I want you to join in) are making their own Minecraft LPs. I'll expect to see the best from you, lads :V
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:17:44 am by Dwarf Midget »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »

Nice. Can you make some bridges that react to redstone to create elaborate zombie trap?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 03:44:20 pm »

Nice. Can you make some bridges that react to redstone to create elaborate zombie trap?
No, there aren't any bridges yet. I bet Notch'll add it in a future update.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

Day 11

Dear diary;

I woke up pretty early today. I figured until there was daylight, I should just stay inside. I smelted the iron and gold ore I'd found a few days ago.

Such beautiful metal. I put the gold in the... let's call it a treasure chest. I wonder if I can decorate it with gold.

While rummaging in the chest, I found some iron ore I'd forgot to smelt.

I could have made tools with the iron, but decided to go for an iron plate mail. While there's still more iron out there, I only have one life, so my safety is a priority.

Once there was proper light outside, I continued my redstone experiments.

I tested the lever on the fort door, connecting them to each other with a little redstone.

It worked brilliantly. I had an idea to give it some more practical use.

However, this led to much frustration on my part as I tried to make an on/off switch for my torches.

It works fine with one torch. But if I connect another one...

The effect is gone. I kept trying to do a workaround, all day long, but I couldn't do it.

I decided I'd need one lever for every two redstone torches. I did so, and it worked. But...

The torches light is so dim it doesn't lit up the cave a bit! The entire day wasted on nothing!

Grumbling, I put up the old torches and cursed a bit to myself.

I slumped into the corner and studied the redstone. It isn't as easy to use as I'd thought. And it seems a bit limited. Maybe there are other magical things in this land. Or I could go mechanical. No matter what, I'm gonna need more iron. I'll be off mining tommorow. I hope I can find some usable ore.

Good night.

OOC: Yeah, today was pretty fruitless. I'm just playing around with redstone at this point, and once I get iron, I'll go ahead and make minecarts. I'll be looking forward to being able to ride a cart all the way down my mine :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:23:22 am by Dwarf Midget »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2010, 03:41:20 pm »

You're on your way to making logic gates, something I would never find a use for!
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2010, 03:59:57 pm »

You're on your way to making logic gates, something I would never find a use for!
What can I say, I am intrigued by engineering 8)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »

Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »

May I ask how you use Screenshot capture?
The picture keeps coming up too big.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2010, 01:17:44 am »

Too big? It's the exact same size as it's displayed. I just capture it and then I upload it. Sorry if your monitor isn't big enough.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2010, 08:09:36 am »

Playing it atm, had a sweet little safe spot to start off with near the spawn where I was gonna set up the tools before going off to make my dream fortress, floating island that the game made for me with access via climbing a tree, it was nice and safe. Then I went into the caves nearby, so many branches in one, so much iron ore to bring to the surface, but then I went deeper, only a few seconds deeper that is and stumbled across my first TRUE helping of magma, it was falling through a wall and pouring out across my path, I tried to jump it... Death, I had so much Ore that I had to go for it, so back down, this time I attempted to plug it, It worked, but leaked away from me, then I fell down a hole, into magma... Death...

Again I tried, I plugged that leak, which caused it to leak onto me.... Death....

Fucking hell. Lets go from the top...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2010, 10:06:04 am »

If you're playing in fullscreen it will be big, use this tag to make it whatever size you want: [img width={width} height={height} ...]http://{url}[/img]
Or resize it after you take it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2010, 10:48:01 am »

If you're playing in fullscreen it will be big, use this tag to make it whatever size you want: [img width={width} height={height} ...]http://{url}[/img]
Or resize it after you take it.
I'm playing windowed. On another note, it seems the forum resizes the picture to better fit, at least for me....

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

BDay 12

Dear diary;

I went down in the mines today. Before venturing down, I made myself a whole lot of pickaxes...

...and stuffed the experiment leftovers from yesterday in the chest. I didn't want all those levers and redstone dust lying around.

So anyway, pretty much the entire day I was belowground, mining.

I found redstone, coal, and the much needed iron ore.

I also said hello to Mr. Magma again. Grumpy old man.

I tried digging around him...

...but he didn't want to say goodbye just yet.

I decided I had to dig above him to get away, assuming the magma pocket wasn't humongous.

And guess what? I found diamonds. Diamonds! This was even better than gold, not only because it's shinier, but because it's the most solid material in the world! I could make incredibly effective and durable tools!

Better yet, I found a whole bunch of it! It really made my day.

I mined on for a little longer, before going up again.

And just as I assumed, the sun was about to go down.

While there was still daylight outside, I chopped down some trees to get more wood, made myself some sticks...

And boom. I had not only two iron pickaxes, but two DIAMOND pickaxes. I can only imagine how fast this baby can dig.

This night, instead of the redstone, I clinged on to the diamond pick, holding it close like a teddy bear. This is the best thing I've found yet. I doubt there's much to find that can top diamond... except that floating rock. Though it's a bit early to start working on anything large. My resource caches aren't very big, so I'll need to mine even more. Though, with my new picks, this will be a breeze.

Good night.

OOC: DIAMONDS! :D No further explanation is needed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:33:57 am by Dwarf Midget »

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:06 pm »

You should make a diamond shovel. They're surprisingly useful, as they dig through dirt like it's not even there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16