Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)  (Read 33514 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »

I like your writing style.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »

Can you set wooden constructs on fire? if so, build a small spire out of wood, and light it...

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »

Can you set wooden constructs on fire? if so, build a small spire out of wood, and light it...

You can. I burned my wooden house down before...

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:05 am »

Yaddy, I love your sig, and it is now stuck in my head.

I made both a terrible discovery and a wonderful discovery last night.  But first, I need to provide some back story.

I started playing MC three days ago.  The first night I played, I didn't know how to craft.  I had vague ideas (hit trees for wood, use wood for sticks, etc.), but nothing concrete.  For the life of me, I couldn't harvest anything - I was tapping on the tree rather than holding the button down.  So, left with no other recourse, I went exploring for a bit before calling it a night.  At that point, I was totally unaware of the day/night cycle and the monsters accompanying the dark.  The next day, I watched a few youtube videos at work and realized what I had been doing wrong.  So I logged back in to my world that night, and started to harvest some wood.

That's when things went bad.

You see, I had neglected to remember that I had spent a fair amount of time exploring the night before, so after I harvested maybe 8 wood, night began to fall.  From the same youtube video that taught me how to craft, I learned of the deadly nature of the night, so I began to freak out.  I didn't have time to make anything, let alone find coal.  I figured I was toast, and in fear began digging straight down with my hands.  I wound up making myself a little 2x1x2 space, and quickly made and threw down a workshop.  I made a wooden pick, and continued to dig a little in the dark.  Through some miracle, one of the first tiles I dug led me to coal.  Not a lot, maybe 3 pieces, but enough to make me torches.  I put one on the wall, and sealed myself in.  And thus, that's where I built my home.  It's actually in a really nice area, with caves, cliffs, sand, water (well, Ice.  It's always snowing), and tons of trees.  I wound up building myself a nice little home there, and all was good.  I even built myself a little beacon on top of the entrance so that I could explore and still find it!  It was essentially a small (5-tile tall) + sign with torches on the arms and a tree on top.

It was dawn as I was digging out some space for what would eventually be my greenhouse (i have a great design for it, btw - I'll explain later).  I don't have sound, so I'm not entirely sure what happened at this point, but there was a cave-in.  I was left with half a heart, and no recovery items.  But hey - shortcut to open air  :D   I climbed out of the wreckage up to the surface, only to be faced with a flaming zombie.  I promptly died.  Not from the zombie, mind you, but I panicked and fell back down into my house.

Now as you may recall, I had done a fair amount of exploration before creating my emergency home.  What this means is that when I respawned I had absolutely NO IDEA where my house was.  None.  I proceeded to spend the next two full in-game days wandering the map, looking for my house marker.  As it turns out, when your marker isn't that big and is topped by a tree, it looks distinctly like every other tall tree on the map, even when it's on a mountaintop - this was the terrible discovery. Finally, on the second night of searching, I saw an odd tree that seemed to be lit from below!  I had found my house!  I turtled in there for two more days. First I put up some high walls around my now-exposed greenhouse, then did some digging for replacement coal, as the coal I had on my person had decayed due to my long absence.  Once day broke, I proceeded to build what I consider a gigantic beacon to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.  Here is a rough schematic (# = 1 stone block):

Front view:
Code: [Select]
#  #  #
#  #  #
#  #  #
#######
   #
   #
   #
   #
   #
   #

Side view:
#  #  #
#  #  #
#  #  #
#######
   #
   #
   #
   #
   #
   #

Top view:
   #
   #
   #
#######
   #
   #
   #

It's essentially a giant candellabra with 5 "candles" - one on each limb, and one in the center that the diagram doesn't show too well.  On the 4 outer pillars, each outward-facing side has a torch - one for each stone.  That's 12 torches for EACH pillar, along with 12 for the center pillar, and 4 at the halfway point of the base. 64 torches.  I may have gone a little overboard.

As for the wonderful discovery, that involves my greenhouse.  On the main level of my base, the greenhouse is just a large, vacant room with some windows.  There is a staircase along the wall that leads up to the actual 'field', as it were.  The field is surrounded by 4 tile-high walls (dirt topped with stone), with a glass ceiling on the stone layer.  The wonderful discovery is what I did below this.  The room below the greenhouse - the room with the windows I mentioned before - is my "pretty" room.  I didn't want there to be a dirt ceiling in my pretty room, so I did a pretend 'drop ceiling' using half-steps. Along the edges I used stone so that I didn't have an ugly gap visible from the stairs.  This leaves a half-tile gap under most of the farming layer.  When I did this, I was unaware of the water requirement for farming.  Once I found out, I made a bucket, mined out one of the dirt tiles, and replaced it with water.  Virtually every farm tile went 'hydrated'. I assume that the empty half-step gap between dirt and ceiling got filled with water, providing hydration to the entire farm.  The only sure way to find out would be to destroy one of the ceiling tiles and see if water pours out, but that seems a little destructive.  Either way, I'm happy with it.

Oh, and speaking of my windows, there's a funny story about one of them.  I had misjudged the distance between inner wall and the outside, so I wound up digging quite a bit before hitting the outside.  It was nighttime when I broke through, so I went ahead and put the glass up, figuring I'd clean up the outside once day came around.  When I came back to see if it was light out, there was a creeper trying to get in through the window, just hopping there like an idiot.  I decided to tempt fate and come up to the glass, but he iddn't blow up.  But nor could he get out of the little window excavation I had done.  So I went out the front door, came over to the exterior of the window, and walled him in with a glass ceiling.  Voila!  I had the beginnings of a zoo.

Unfortunately, he eventually despawned.  Still, it was great while it lasted :D

Sorry for the thread derail, Midget!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah, it doesn't matter. I'll see if I can get another day done later tonight :)
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

Day 4

Dear diary;

I went outside and chopped down a LOT of trees as soon as I woke up. I'll have enough wood for weeks, unless I make a lot of wooden items.

It seems one of the chickens around here laid an egg. That means omelette! Whoo!

I also found a natural cave. Out of curiosity, I explored it, with my sword drawn. Who could know what was lurking down there?

I was lucky; no monsters were hiding down below. I even found some coal.

After I went back up, I dug some

a lot of sand up from the beach. I'd use it to make glass.

I had another strike of luck: a fat pig was standing outside my home! Pork meat ahoy!

I went inside at once and cooked it on the oven.

It was absolutely delicious. Come to think of it, I should have cooked an omelette together with it, and have bacon and eggs. Oh well.

After my meal, I made another oven and made my chest bigger. I started my glass production.

It was getting dark. I barricaded the door. I think I may be developing a paranoia for these monsters...

To clear my thoughts, I went down mining. I even got lucky and found some iron.

But the creatures. I could hear them. I could here their terrifying hissing. They were down there. I must have been right next to an underground cave. That's the only... rational explanation.

Out of fear, I sealed the last part of my tunnel. I feel as all around me, outside my home, my safehouse... it's hell. Paradise in the morning, hell at night... it's almost kind of poetic. But if I have to live in a poem, I'd prefer one without hell.

I refilled the oven's coal supply and went to bed. There wasn't anything left to tonight.
Now... what should I do tommorow? Maybe the creatures down there are gone in the day... no. It's constant night down there... defenses. That's what I need. I'll build a moat and a wall. That should keep them away from my home. Unless they can fly.

Good night.

OOC: Today's journal entry is sponsored by Creeper Inc.

Creeper Inc. - For all your demolishing needs!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:02:10 am by Dwarf Midget »

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 02:40:00 pm »

watching.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

...Why didn't I think of moats and walls?  Man... Civ5 came out today, I play Starcraft 2 with virtually all of my coworkers, and yet the game I look forward to most at the end of the day is Minecraft.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 03:23:53 pm »

...Why didn't I think of moats and walls?  Man... Civ5 came out today, I play Starcraft 2 with virtually all of my coworkers, and yet the game I look forward to most at the end of the day is Minecraft.
I actually got the idea from Jay, he made a really deep moat the monsters fell into. It was ingenious.

Starcraft 2? If you're Europe-based, we can have a match together.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:27:51 pm by Dwarf Midget »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »

Awesome. Even tought I'm studying 12 hours a day, I really wanna play now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do you use to take screenshots?  Is there an in-game key, standard printscreen, or a third-party program like FRAPs?

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 01:19:43 am »

Out of curiosity, what do you use to take screenshots?  Is there an in-game key, standard printscreen, or a third-party program like FRAPs?
I use ScreenshotCaptor, and edit the picture so I only get the Minecraft window.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:22 am »

Which mode are you doing? Inf or In? Either way, soon you need to get an underground tree farm going on in your house so you can sorta continue making stuff. Also, get 24 bars of iron and make them into a full set of armor.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41:31 am »

Which mode are you doing? Inf or In? Either way, soon you need to get an underground tree farm going on in your house so you can sorta continue making stuff. Also, get 24 bars of iron and make them into a full set of armor.
Actually, both Infdev and Indev have been replaced by Alpha, which basicly is just Infdev. I hope Notch brings those options back in the future.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 08:50:27 am »

Watching, just got Minecraft, so I'll be interested to see what you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16