Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The peculiar case of Smithpassions, the frozen pit of nowhere  (Read 3544 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: The peculiar case of Smithpassions, the frozen pit of nowhere
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:19:01 pm »

- Unfortunately there really aren't a lot of useless materials.  Other than some small bismuth deposits, it's pretty much all hematite and limonite that I've found. 

If you have a large amount of valuable stone I wouldn't really consider it valuable anymore. Go ahead and make crap out of it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:45 am »

This sounds awesome.  Is this a common underground feature in .31? It's sounds like the new version of the old bottomless pits, which I loved to suspend hanging towers in the middle of.

You can mine all your metal and flux on the upper levels and then have your extra haulers dump it all (and whatever else) down the shaft.  It would make moving to the bottom faster and easier.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:32:50 am »

upload save please. I want to mess with this fort. The two places I have wanted to play in are:
1. nil caverns and a flat magma sea (impossible)
2. a massive cavern going straight down (this)
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:41 am »

There is no maximum limit to how deep a well can go. You want a well that drops the bucket 93 levels? You can.

However the deeper the well the longer it takes to get water. This means that the bucket needs to travel 186 levels per 10 units of water, which is enough for 10 dwarves to get a drink. It would be enough for healthcare, but not enough to sustain a fortress.

In that case, how about building a massive well-complex -inside of- the hospital? That way, the water is going straight to your dwarves and you have tons of it.

Imagine a bunch of confused cave-bears watching like 900 buckets go up and down until the whole lake is drained :P

ALSO: IDEA! Have your dwarfs dump all of the water into a big reservoir that you have easier access to. Once you've got a good enough supply, seal off the wells and relocate your hospital! Problem solved.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:41 am »

There is no maximum limit to how deep a well can go. You want a well that drops the bucket 93 levels? You can.

However the deeper the well the longer it takes to get water. This means that the bucket needs to travel 186 levels per 10 units of water, which is enough for 10 dwarves to get a drink. It would be enough for healthcare, but not enough to sustain a fortress.

Multiple wells maybe? I'm sure 5 or so would make up for the huge distance.
puppywhirrrrrrl

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »

As long as you have booze on-hand, your dwarves shouldn't need water to avoid dehydration.

And you should always have booze on-hand.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »

I also have a screwed embark like this. I only got some 60 ish cavern (haven't trown someone to the deepest part). It should also have marble however using df hack after looking everywhere I discovered that there is no marble either. Anyway it is probably a good idea to either move downwords which would mean you have little wood. However if go down you will have water and magma (and thus obsidion) I don't know about the layers but those are also very important. If you go down you can solve the wood problem by making a underground forest. If you do that it's wise to remember to gather all the plants aswell it increases tree growth.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »

AIUI, DFHack/Prospector doesn't list the quantity of the Layer stones shown on the Embark screen, so if you "should have" Marble, you do, but Prospector won't give you a count.

(Also, It might be that Prospector doesn't show "Layer Stones" as opposed to just those mentioned at embark).

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 05:33:19 pm »

A large top-level Cavern means that Caverns 2 and 3 will be flattened things about 2-3 z-levels high.

I have personally dealt with trying to get water up from the bottom of a 94 z-level cavern.  Multiple wells can work.

Also, try digging out massive rooms in the sand, and then harvesting the cave-plants which grow in your underground soil.  You can get quite the tree-farm going this way.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Could always go with checkerboard wells with floors over that yawning abyss you've got there. no exposure to the edges right? you might have a slice of paradise, no Forgotten beasts!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »

Ahem...
Interesting, do you mind posting a screenshot?
Please?

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »

Is it that there are no caverns all those z-levels? or does it pierce through cavern layers with an unbroken wall, like a magma pool?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

Ahem...
Interesting, do you mind posting a screenshot?
Please?
or, if you're feeling very generous, posting the save as well?
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 08:16:15 am »

Hi all,

Here are some screenshots.  There are a few more protuberances than I was aware of but still basically what I described.  I'm guessing all the caverns are absorbed by this huge one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've decided to move away from the surface; no sign of gobbos, humans, or elves, and I'm becoming self sufficient enough not to really need the trade caravan.  I'll probably leave a skeleton crew, including my broker, as well as the manufactured finished goods I already have (absolute gobs of them), in case I have needs in future, but otherwise I plan to move everyone far beneath the surface.  Plus, I'll want to open up the drawbridge for migrants anyway (I'm softhearted). There are a few signs of life down there - the occasional giant olm and cave croc, as well as the FB who showed up very early -- but mostly we'll have it to ourselves.  In the meantime, I've halted production of most things other than food, booze, and critical metal goods (weapons/armor/ammo, mostly) and moved most people into hauling capacities in preparation for the big plunge.  I've established all of my troops into a barracks on level 104, as well, in preparation for the FB.

The tree farm is going fine; I haven't set up enough beds for all yet simply because I'm focusing on shifting the fortress downward, and carrying what supplies we have down to a staging ground.  If I could manage to lure that FB out of the water, I'd throw into this plan full force, but he's being all coy -- seeming to make a beeline for my troops or miners, then backing off.  If nothing else, I'll build a platform over the water and get my marksmen to start taking potshots at him.

The well does work, by the way.  I know I don't 'need' it except for injured dwarves, but for whatever reason, my dwarves are giving someone water -- not a criminal or a patient, either -- and filling their waterskins (I'm not wasting fuel on flasks at this point) so I'm glad I built it. 

I'd be happy to post the save if someone can give me some instructions how to do so.

I notice musk oxen and wolves, the two species I've managed to capture a good number of, are not tamable (without a Dungeon Master at least, in the former case).  Can you breed wild animals?  If not, that's fine, I have about a dozen in cages for an emergency meat supply before I tap into all my breeding domestic animals, and enough hides from trading to not really worry about it.  I'm betting I'll find a few things down below.

I've never messed with magma but no time like the present.  After the FB goes and I start sketching out the plans for the deep fortress, I'm planning to send some exploratory shafts down to the magma layer.  Fuel is becoming a real problem so it's becoming a priority.   With my first attempts, I have no doubt I'll have some fun on my hands.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:18:05 am by fluiddruid »

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 10:35:32 am »

I'd be happy to post the save if someone can give me some instructions how to do so.
Go to the data/save folder in DF, zip the region, and upload it on DFFD or some other site.

Pages: 1 [2] 3