Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Ufo: The Two Sides - Multiplayer X-Com Remake  (Read 17866 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Ufo: The Two Sides - Multiplayer X-Com Remake
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:54 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to see them remake X-Com: Apocalypse by replacing the "bugs" with the original aliens from the first X-Com.

I want to fight alien infiltrations, not play exterminator with lasers.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2011, 12:30:37 am »

I'd like to play UFO with the realtime+pause action of Apocalypse.  (Because if you played Apocalypse turn-based, you were doing it wrong.)  Same dark atmosphere, same scary aliens and shadowy barns, but none of that 'move all your guys around one tile at a time for three turns while trying to find the last guy'.  Besides, three guys walking shoulder-to-shoulder while blasting away with AC-HE ammo is a thing of beauty.

(And seriously.  Yeah, I know the game's supposed to be hard.  But when the alien pops up, I really think that my guys can all scramble while he's chucking the grenade...  Grenades are for flushing out an entrenched position, not for blowing up four guys on a streetcorner while they're already moving.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:34 am »

Actually, the real-time emphasis of Apocalypse is my other main complaint about it.  I hate real-time, and never rarely used it, despite it being the "proper" way to play.

Needless to say, we'd be playing different remakes.   :P  No biggie, different styles for different folks.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2011, 01:01:53 am »

Bah. This only works on my crap laptop. Is there something I need to do besides extract it from the .zip, and click the executable to make it work? Because I know I don't need to extract X-COM UFOD for it to work, because it does on my crap laptop.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:28 am »

Is there something I need to do besides extract it from the .zip, and click the executable to make it work?
Define "work". It will start with no additional material, but some (not all, interestingly) of the enemies in tactical mode will be represented with pink rectangles. Other than that it will work just fine.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2011, 02:09:13 am »

What kind of video card do you have where it isn't working? You could try ufo_sh1.exe if it doesn't have pixel shader 2 support.

According to what I've read on their forums it's currently it's apparently nigh-impossible for humans to win - has that been the experience you guys have had when you've played?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2011, 03:37:41 am »

What kind of video card do you have where it isn't working? You could try ufo_sh1.exe if it doesn't have pixel shader 2 support.

According to what I've read on their forums it's currently it's apparently nigh-impossible for humans to win - has that been the experience you guys have had when you've played?

sh1. doesn't work either. The config.exe, oddly works on my normal laptop, but not the one which can play TTS. The only bug I've run into is that after every battle, I have to restart the game because the Geoscape disappears, and the side menu wigs out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2011, 12:20:37 pm »

How do you run the xcusetup on a 64-bit system? It keeps freaking out about it being a 16-bit application when launched through command. I got the necessary stuff working from DOS-BOX, but I'd like those maps built with the java appellate.

I finally took the plunge and started playing this for the first time. Such. A. Brilliant. Game. I restarted my first game probably as many times as my first day of DF, trying to get a handle on stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »

Wait. So I need to be running this in DOSBOX to get it to work? Derp.

Anyways, this one is just as much of a meat grinder as the first. My current set-up is 2 tanks and 1 guy. That guy is fucking invincible. Crazy insane. But with all the UFOs he needs to breach solo, his odds are sinking.I just wish those aliens would hurry up and give me mah football o doom.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]