Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ribbon cutting ceremony  (Read 1895 times)

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ribbon cutting ceremony
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:50 am »

It would be cool if, upon completion of a major public work like an irrigation system, you could schedule the mayor or other potentate to hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony.  It would be even cooler if the game could somehow tell whether the ceremony was followed by a massive destructive flood and adjust the happiness of the attendees accordingly, but I can't even imagine what criteria you'd use to test for that much less implement it in the software.

(But maybe if the settlement dies shortly thereafter, within a season say, and a certain percentage of the deaths are from drowning, instead of the generic message you could get something like "Your settlement has withered.  Perhaps stay away from the water sports next time.")
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Ribbon cutting ceremony
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:41 am »

I think it could make sense to have dwarfs party for things such as completion of a public royal dinning hall, or a hospital, or a dormitory. Something that suits the public. Though theres gonna have to be a limit, we dont want dwarfs partying after each chair is added to a dinning room, or celebrating the irrigation of every single farm plot one after another.

Maybe we could have mayor run, and player implemented fort wide holidays, which we can designate like, party over here kinda thing, and give are dwarfs happy points and social points depending on how good the surroundings are. Also parties for births. And maybe funerals for deaths. Funerals would alleviate the happy loss from a death, it would be like lost a friend recently, had an honorable funeral for a friend.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »

Lots of potential for fun too.  One of my all-time favorite quotes is from Russell T Davies of Doctor Who fame speaking of some of his more popular plot lines:

There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.

In fact I like that so much I think I'll put it in my signature.

Interesting fanecdote: his middle name is actually "T", that's why there's no period, it's not an abbreviation.
Legendary Idler

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:58:39 pm »

Laughed myself sick at "water sports". Sigged.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:32:30 pm »

Another one I thought of: there ought to be a celebration upon the birth of the first child in the settlement.  If the smoking idea is implemented the father could hand out cigars.
Legendary Idler

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

such as completion of a public royal dinning hall

Actually from what I understand of Dwarves. The Royalty and other VIPs actually dislike it when people under them experience luxuries of a similar level.

On that subject... I wonder

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:03:18 pm »

such as completion of a public royal dinning hall

Actually from what I understand of Dwarves. The Royalty and other VIPs actually dislike it when people under them experience luxuries of a similar level.

On that subject... I wonder

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do it. We should just have to live with the consequences. Personally I'm rather my king tantrum and die, then every other dwarf in the fort.
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.

Doomsought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »

SO...
We'd have a menu under:
N (Nobles) > Mayor > s (options)
>Hold Ceremony>Location (from a list of rooms that can hold a party)
The hold ceremony could be a responsibility given in the RAWS so it could be added to priests and other nobles.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:15:29 pm by Doomsought »

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »

SO...
We'd have a menu under:
N (Nobles) > Mayor > s (options)
>Hold Ceremony>Location (from a list of rooms that can hold a party)
The hold ceremony could be a responsibility given in the RAWS so it could be added to priests and other nobles.

Strongly Agree. Especially for other nobles. I mean it should start out with the mayor, go up to baron, and all the way to king and such as each become available. Maybe we could also have a, in honor of, so we can have in the dinning room, in honor of militia captain, who one hitted a hydra.