Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slightly different FPS question  (Read 1418 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slightly different FPS question
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:56:20 am »

Would having a large number(971) deceased units affect my FPS? I remember someone mentioning a tool that could remove those, but i don't remember what it was called. I'm still on 31.12, so stuff should still work.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly different FPS question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:07:28 am »

I do not think this have significant influence on FPS - but it shows perfectly Toady's attitude. Grow, grow, grow items, entities, contaiments, living things, whatever endlessly. Rape your CPU. With rusty poleaxe. Sideways.

Just great.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:29:00 am »

I do not think this have significant influence on FPS - but it shows perfectly Toady's attitude. Grow, grow, grow items, entities, contaiments, living things, whatever endlessly. Rape your CPU. With rusty poleaxe. Sideways.

Just great.

Yes. Items with infinite lifetimes, named (why?) contaminants, items and dead, clutter and lag the system steadily towards unplayability and death at FPS 0, and make the unit lists a real pain to go through. Why on Earth?

A separate list of dead and live units should be easy to make, surely this is not due to a lack of programming skill or knowledge or howto?  The interface and solutions taken makes one often wonder what goes through the minds of said toads. Because normal developers would have known to beware and would have dealt with such obviously infinitely expanding clutter. Or at least known how to delete items from lists.

One solution: Toady should implement corrosion, rotting and rusting that would DISSOLVE any and all items left outside in one years time, including stone. This would eliminate at least a small part of the clutter eating at the FPS and plaguing the lists. (It is almost as if they don't know how to cleanup the database tables and only know how to grow lists forever. I kind of suspect Toady has started to reinvent databases in DF, with bad results due to everything being (unnecessarily) interdependent with histories and such. You could flag items with historical meaning for special preservation..)

Also all blood, vomit, ichor and goo contaminants and spatter should come with a time stamp that will make them all just dissappear when they hit 1-3 months of age. Just dropping them off the database altogether. Current infinite lifetimes for named contaminants are a major problem and the game is not really playable due to them for any longer in-game period of time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:48:21 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:55 pm »

Would having a large number(971) deceased units affect my FPS? I remember someone mentioning a tool that could remove those, but i don't remember what it was called. I'm still on 31.12, so stuff should still work.
Probably not so much them being dead as all their items still being around and their blood, vomit and water being around said items and still multiplying through smears and such.

Although, recent Dorf Science suggests, or gives reason to the suspicion, that the FPS loss may also be due to other factors, perhaps some invisible vermin getting way too common as opposed to catsplosion?

I dunno really, something just happens within 5 years to usually really take down the FPS (at least for me), usually within 1-2 years of the first proper batch of corpses and bloodshed that starts to go around. -- Would need Toady to really figure out the reason what parts of his code eats most of the CPU.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:32:19 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »

Probably not so much them being dead as all their items still being around and their blood, vomit and water being around said items.

Although, recent Dorf Science suggests or gives suspicion to the fact that the FPS loss may also be due to invisible vermin getting too common.

I dunno really, something just happens within 5 years to usually really take down the FPS, usually within 1-2 years of first proper bloodshed.
Would need Toady to really figure out the reason what parts of his code eats most of the CPU.

Someone much smarter than me came up with a way to get rid of the blood/vomit/ichor/etc. not too long ago, been using it every few fort years or so. Set all your blood vomit, ichor, goo, etc. to boil at 10015 in material_template_default. It makes any blood exposed to air on dwarves or items they are currently wearing evaporate instantly. It doesn't affect blood on items dwarves are not wearing or on floors and walls, but dfcleanmap takes care of the floors and walls and drawbridges and melting take care of most of the items.

I would recommend only leaving it on a few seconds though, it seems to hit fps while it's on if your dwarves are doing anything that gets blood on them, like dumping corpses, as you have blood explosion looking things going off every time it happens(they're harmless, but still fps eaters). Also i was fiddling around and for some reason my dwarves wouldn't eat any of the food i had despite the fact they were so hungry they were hunting for small animals. Switching it back to the default file fixed it all though.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

Probably not so much them being dead as all their items still being around and their blood, vomit and water being around said items and still multiplying through smears and such.

Although, recent Dorf Science suggests, or gives reason to the suspicion, that the FPS loss may also be due to other factors, perhaps some invisible vermin getting way too common as opposed to catsplosion?

[CREATURE:FLY]

How do I make them all magically die by editing creature_insects.txt ? Might be worth to test out vermin theory too by mass-destroying them all somehow. Ideas how to accomplish this easily?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:15:05 pm »

How do I make them all magically die by editing creature_insects.txt ? Might be worth to test out vermin theory too by mass-destroying them all somehow. Ideas how to accomplish this easily?

Similar way of getting rid of vomit, though much more dangerous dwarfy.

Go into the raws and edit all your vermins' [HOMEOTHERM] to a retardedly high number. 12000 = magma, as far as I can tell. So....way higher than that.

When you load up your game again, every single one of them *should* explode into a fireball instantaneously. And every one that ever comes on the map after that will also instantly explode. I have no idea how this will affect dwarves though. Judging by how the thermonuclear catsplosion thing went, probably badly. It'd be an easy way to see exactly how much of them are on the map though.

On the other hand, you could also try freezing them out, setting [HOMEOTHERM] below 10000, however i have no idea if this will actually work. All insects except dragonflies have the biome restriction NOT_FREEZING, so i would hope that they'd die.

However, the thing that really makes me wonder if it's actually vermin is they seem to all have a MAXAGE of 1. Er, actually 1:1, which is *probably* 1 year baby 1 year adult, but i don't actually know because i just started messing with this stuff. They could be reproducing on a massive scale to offset their small age, but overdoing it because they are required to have 1 year as a baby and then 1 as an adult rather than a more realistic year or much, much, much less for the whole process, that would easily cause it i suppose.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:19:22 pm by Zaik »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »

Go into the raws and edit all your vermins' [HOMEOTHERM] to a retardedly high number. 12000 = magma, as far as I can tell. So....way higher than that.

When you load up your game again, every single one of them *should* explode into a fireball instantaneously. And every one that ever comes on the map after that will also instantly explode. I have no idea how this will affect dwarves though. Judging by how the thermonuclear catsplosion thing went, probably badly. It'd be an easy way to see exactly how much of them are on the map though.

On the other hand, you could also try freezing them out, setting [HOMEOTHERM] below 10000, however i have no idea if this will actually work. All insects except dragonflies have the biome restriction NOT_FREEZING, so i would hope that they'd die.

However, the thing that really makes me wonder if it's actually vermin is they seem to all have a MAXAGE of 1. Er, actually 1:1, which is *probably* 1 year baby 1 year adult, but i don't actually know because i just started messing with this stuff. They could be reproducing on a massive scale to offset their small age, but overdoing it because they are required to have 1 year as a baby and then 1 as an adult rather than a more realistic year or much, much, much less for the whole process, that would easily cause it i suppose.

Well, setting homeotherm to 10x of magma for vermin does nothing to the current game or the vermin, it seems. Blood boils now very nicely when it is bled, but other than that, nothing. Flies still popping all around my food stores. FPS remains the same at steady 2.

I suppose I will test trying to explode and boil other stuff. Can I boil away all loose rock easily?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 05:00:09 pm »

Well, setting homeotherm to 10x of magma for vermin does nothing to the current game or the vermin, it seems. Blood boils now very nicely when it is bled, but other than that, nothing. Flies still popping all around my food stores. FPS remains the same at steady 2.

I suppose I will test trying to explode and boil other stuff. Can I boil away all loose rock easily?

Should work the same as the blood, though it's more than possible that all walls and floors of said stone will boil and evaporate, just like ice. COnstructed floors should be unaffected, however constructed ones.

Also, I just tested it as well, it didn't work at first, then I remembered I needed to set TEMPERATURE in d_init to YES. Changed it and re-loaded, and now several fires have broken out above ground. Insects seem unaffected, however small vermin caught fire instantly. FPS dropped, but it is supposed to be lower with it on. Gonna turn it back off in a second and see what happened, after i put out these fires with dfliquids.

Edit: I don't think that "a swarm of acorn flies" and the acorn fly mentioned in the raws have any connection. I just removed their brains and hearts as well as setting them to a temperature that set other non-insect vermin on fire and they're unaffected. They're the only thing related to insects showing up on my map though. The only other thing i can think to try is outright removing them.

Double Edit: I definitely saw a 10+ FPS boost by boiling away the blood from 400-600 kills and setting all the vermin on fire or removing their organs or both, however there's no way to say how much of which did what. Also worth noting, apparently every ant colony has 11006 ants in it. 10000 workers, 1000 soldiers, 5 drones, 1 queen. I set those to 4. There's no way to say if that even affected my current fort or not, or if it can/will affect anything at all.

Triple Edit: After setting most of this back to normal vermin started sieging my fort. I see at least 4 dragonflies, 3 lizards, and a bunch of other crap flying around all over the place. I assume they function like wildlife, if you kill everything on the surface or in a cavern something else *will* spawn immediately or very shortly. So you'd have to regularly purge vermin along with boiling off blood.
Or remove all the [VERMIN_NOTRAP] tags, i'm gonna try that and see if my weapon traps eat them.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:06:50 pm by Zaik »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:27:36 pm »

Should work the same as the blood, though it's more than possible that all walls and floors of said stone will boil and evaporate, just like ice. COnstructed floors should be unaffected, however constructed ones.

Also, I just tested it as well, it didn't work at first, then I remembered I needed to set TEMPERATURE in d_init to YES....

Double Edit: I definitely saw a 10+ FPS boost by boiling away the blood from 400-600 kills and setting all the vermin on fire or removing their organs or both, however there's no way to say how much of which did what. Also worth noting, apparently every ant colony has 11006 ants in it. 10000 workers, 1000 soldiers, 5 drones, 1 queen. I set those to 4. There's no way to say if that even affected my current fort or not, or if it can/will affect anything at all.

Triple Edit: After setting most of this back to normal vermin started sieging my fort. I see at least 4 dragonflies, 3 lizards, and a bunch of other crap flying around all over the place. I assume they function like wildlife, if you kill everything on the surface or in a cavern something else *will* spawn immediately or very shortly. So you'd have to regularly purge vermin along with boiling off blood.
Or remove all the [VERMIN_NOTRAP] tags, i'm gonna try that and see if my weapon traps eat them.

Figures that other vermin would take their place... Maybe editing the population numbers...

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »

Does getting rid of all loose rock influence performance in any significant way?

It would be nice to turn off all vermin and invisible critters and insects that don't significantly influence the gameplay or limit their numbers severely.
Same with most of the useless vermin fish that serve no real purpose than slowing down the system.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »

Does getting rid of all loose rock influence performance in any significant way?

It would be nice to turn off all vermin and invisible critters and insects that don't significantly influence the gameplay or limit their numbers severely.
Same with most of the useless vermin fish that serve no real purpose than slowing down the system.

I've heard destroying thousands and thousands and thousands of rock will improve fps, however if it's just something like 500-1k it's not worth bothering to set the dump designation.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:11:36 pm »

I've heard destroying thousands and thousands and thousands of rock will improve fps, however if it's just something like 500-1k it's not worth bothering to set the dump designation.

Well, that was fast and efficient. Suddenly, exploding, boiling magma everywhere. Never have I purged my fortress so fast.

Though I seem to have mostly boiled just all stone crafts and mechanics. All the pesky rock salt is still there.... And FPS went back to steady 2.

DAMNIT! Now I'm tempted to turn all wood into boiling hot vapors and watch that human settlement (eating at my FPS) burn...
There's never a scroll of genocide when you need one..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:29:46 pm by jei »