Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oh .13 you so crazy  (Read 1590 times)

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
oh .13 you so crazy
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:55:22 am »

i had no migrants this season and instead of the standard "your fort attracted no migrants this season" message i got a spectacular "no one even considered making the journey to such a cursed death trap this season".

i assume this is just toady's dramatic side revealing itself but i feel slightly hurt as i have had no deaths in my fort apart from the odd donkey or two so its hardly cursed or a death trap.

do have a few hostiles chilling in the caverns though but nothing major. until i kill those in the cavern or do some kind of good luck dance will this keep happening, you know no one coming to my safe little death trap?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: oh .13 you so crazy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 04:58:29 am »

A lot of people are getting that with no/little deaths, probably a bug. I think i read someone that was guessing that it was assuming all the dwarf deaths in your historical area(Area things like engravings and whatnot are pulled from) died in your fortress, but i wouldn't know one way or the other myself.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:10:35 am »

man that would suck something bad, in my world gen there was a large dwarf vs dwarf war it seems from some of my crafts and engravings.
if they blame me for ALL the dwarf deaths then i am so many levels of screwed

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 05:12:31 am »

You'll still get migrants, it'll just be a bit more difficult. Just export a ton of wealth and they should come anyway.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:36:42 am »

oh yeah i already had gotten one round of like 20 before which is why this mystified me so.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 05:39:53 am »

ahaha, thats awesome. i would feel honoured to have a message like that
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:57:39 pm »

I used to get the message of "Migrants have arrived despite the danger" or some such on 40d, but I mirror the comment of the above guy, I want that message, and i want it a lot.

I just need to get .13 first i guess.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

I just got this message, along with about fifteen dwarves. .

"Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb"

. . .I'll take that as a compliment ;D
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »

You can't dissapoint their expectations now, can you?

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »

It would probably make more sense if they were elves coming through, instead of dwarves.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

I used to get the message of "Migrants have arrived despite the danger" or some such on 40d, but I mirror the comment of the above guy, I want that message, and i want it a lot.

I just need to get .13 first i guess.

I got that message in .12
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »

List to get that message most likely:
-Prime: Get a huge population.
-Backup: Lock one dwarf in a small enclosed room (The Vault) with a pet to chill with, alot of food, booze, a pickaxe to dig out, a bed. and engravings (Alot being 6 years worth). Make sure he has no freinds, and that he is the bookkeeper for the heck of it. Have him train his mad skillz alone in The Vault. He should be your only military.
-Backup Support: make your fort suited for turtling up (I.E. a raising drawbridge over a pit.). Make the turtle lever in The Vault. Have plenty of booze and food lying around.
-Fuel: Make a crap load of 1 tile meeting zones in your fort, everyone must be close friends.
-Fuse: Hit the column of clownite and make a bunch of planepacked esque artifacts using some sort of burrow method stated somewhere that i can't quite remember. Draft EVERYONE besides the bookkeeper into the military unarmed and unarmored.
-BURN: Wait for a goblin seige/ambush to hapoen. Send all your dwarves outside, making your bookkeeper turtle the fortress up. Have him/her dig out of the vault and run the fortress him/herself.

You are almost absolutely garanteed that message fairly through such methods.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »

>implying any fortress won't be a deathtrap at some point

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »

Hmm, along with embark locations this appears to be yet another reason to simply gen the world in .12 and then import it to and play it in .13.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:27 am »

Hmm, along with embark locations this appears to be yet another reason to simply gen the world in .12 and then import it to and play it in .13.
Still happens.