Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Overkill trap numbers + some other stuff  (Read 7404 times)

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: Overkill trap numbers
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:58 am »

I've tried them, but my combat logs always look like:

The goblin blocks the spinning stone with his *copper shield*!
The goblin dodges the spinning stone!
The goblin produces an umbrella from somewhere!
The goblin begins to sing and dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCpOKtN8ME

I'm siiiiiiiingin' in the stoooone,
Just siiiiiiiiiiingin' in the stooooone!
What a wonderful feeeeeeeeeelin',
You're tooooootally boned!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Re: Overkill trap numbers + some other stuff
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 05:32:37 am »

okay the trap path is long enough,the following happened:
the elf caravan + diplomat arrives
a dwarf moods
a dwarf claims a workshop
the dwarf begins construction
the diplomat begins discussions
the dwarf finishes the artifact
the diplomat is killed by my military. fuck him
the elf caravan arrives at the depot (which is at the end of the trap path)

also:
the elf caravan gets murdered by my military (fuck them)
ambush
rock trap gets BOOM HEADSHOT:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:45:46 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 06:08:05 am »

When you get some gobbies that are wearing head armor you may change your tune ;)  I had one fort set up with about 750 (seven hundred and fifty) rock dropper traps and the first armored goblins to hit it strolled through every single one of them with 1 fatality, 2 injured.  Rock traps are poo.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:15:49 am »

well these traps are until Urist McFuckwit gets off his ass and starts making cages for the cage traps I already have. then when urist mcminer finds a decent amount of metal I'll make some weapon traps
and while genning a world in another df (it doesn't take up more than one core, so I can run two games without any lag) a 5 years killed 40000 figures. yay war
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:06:45 am by lolghurt »
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:41 am »

two dfs, running on different cores. that's insane. you know how the plasma weapons in halo are described as burning off arm hair when they overheat? yeah, that's your computer.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »

two dfs, running on different cores. that's insane. you know how the plasma weapons in halo are described as burning off arm hair when they overheat? yeah, that's your computer.
Not really, it's just more efficient, what with DF refusing to be processed on multiple cores. now there are 607 cage traps. Now to train some military to deal with HFS and other untrappable stuff

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »

Also, there are no caravans from the humans or the dwarves, despite no civ being dead

and how do you check demon type number again? i need to know if my 20 soldiers can fight off the HFS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:04:53 pm by lolghurt »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 01:10:52 pm »

Also, there are no caravans from the humans or the dwarves, despite no civ being dead

and how do you check demon type number again? i need to know if my 20 soldiers can fight off the HFS

You open the HFS.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »

All you need for HFS is a 1000-tile 10x steel spike corridor linked to a noble-only lever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 02:17:51 pm »

Urist, you forgot that the lever in question also has to be linked to the trapped communal noble meeting room and set so that the dungeon master alone may pull it.  Only breach the HFS when all your other nobles are in a meeting.  That way you kill off all the evil in your fort at once!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Well that's no fun.

Now your military wont have anything to kill.
It would be really nice to have a little indicator of when their next break was coming. Doesn't need to be a number or anything but maybe just a little "not soon" to "immediately" with two or three steps in between kind of counter.

He'll have fun if he forgets to restrict his burrows before a goblin ambush sets off all the traps.  :P

On a constructive note, how many people here use stonefall traps? I imagine most people are sticking to the tried-and-true 10x steel serrated disc weapon traps, but stone is ever so plentiful.
when you have to disable everything but smithing do get your dorf to do anything, and he decides to go ON BREAK, you give up metal traps and wait for the next migrant wave to replace the disappeared dorf.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »

Well, if he had no metal, he shouldn't break the HFS, no matter how many soldiers he got.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:48 pm »

IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

Since Zhang's got the boulder one, sigged :D
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:07 am »

All you need for HFS is a 1000-tile 10x steel spike corridor linked to a noble-only lever.
Urist, you forgot that the lever in question also has to be linked to the trapped communal noble meeting room and set so that the dungeon master alone may pull it.  Only breach the HFS when all your other nobles are in a meeting.  That way you kill off all the evil in your fort at once!
I have only 40 dorfs, but I remember altering the demon types. Also there are no annoying nobles, just the starting types.
Well, if he had no metal, he shouldn't break the HFS, no matter how many soldiers he got.
i have adamantine and a tiny amount of iron.

edit: and a ridiculously valuable adamantine spiked shale mechanism
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:04:03 am by lolghurt »

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 04:53:25 am »

The real problem is that semi-decently armored and skilled gobbos may pass through the stonefall field and train to legendary level, becoming serious menaces for your military...
Pages: 1 [2] 3