Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Overkill trap numbers + some other stuff  (Read 7397 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Overkill trap numbers + some other stuff
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:06 am »

because my metalsmith and woodworkers are dicks and re constantly making excuses instead of making cages, I now have 224 stonefall traps between the outside world and my fortress. Now what?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:30:14 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Overkill trap numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:13:58 am »

Now you're safe. Except for kobolds (avoid traps) and elves (can't kill 'friendly' people).

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:32:08 am »

Did you build those traps in between walls 2 squares apart?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 05:15:00 am »

yes and no. I basically built a trap on every tile between my first barracks (ie the start of my fort) and the up stairs at the surface.
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:45:54 am »

Well that's no fun.

Now your military wont have anything to kill.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:53 am »

Well that's no fun.

He'll have fun if he forgets to restrict his burrows before a goblin ambush sets off all the traps.  :P

On a constructive note, how many people here use stonefall traps? I imagine most people are sticking to the tried-and-true 10x steel serrated disc weapon traps, but stone is ever so plentiful.

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:55 am »

I've tried them, but my combat logs always look like:

The goblin blocks the spinning stone with his *copper shield*!
The goblin dodges the spinning stone!
The goblin produces an umbrella from somewhere!
The goblin begins to sing and dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCpOKtN8ME

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:32 am »

Well that's no fun.

He'll have fun if he forgets to restrict his burrows before a goblin ambush sets off all the traps.  :P

On a constructive note, how many people here use stonefall traps? I imagine most people are sticking to the tried-and-true 10x steel serrated disc weapon traps, but stone is ever so plentiful.

I've used them a few times, they are very effective for the price(two worthless stones and a minute or two for mechanism creation, building the trap, and loading it per trap tops), however Later on once you are hauling constantly just to keep your place cleaned up it really slows everything down having to load them over and over. Most of the stones in the traps survive to be used again, but it's still just too much additional work unless you've found a way to work in 80+ hauler/mason/mechanics at once. Once I upgrade my PDC i may give it a shot, but that's a while away still, my population cap is set at 110 for now. Gives me about 60 haulers overall.

Anyway, as far as effectiveness goes, anything not wearing armor(war animals, trolls, etc.) might survive 4 traps tops, generally less before being knocked unconscious or killed. The rocks are like extremely heavy hammers with terrible accuracy basically, each one could in theory jam skull through brain but most often breaks several bones and scare away or bleeds to death stuff. More or less you're taking quantity over quality. One weapon trap with various serrated discs or former invader weapons will dismember or kill multiple invaders before being jammed with corpses or running out of ammo, however it will take several stonefall traps to kill just one invader, generally.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:39:17 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:39 am »

Well that's no fun.

when you have to disable everything but smithing do get your dorf to do anything, and he decides to go ON BREAK, you give up metal traps and wait for the next migrant wave to replace the disappeared dorf.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:15:38 am »

I try to restrict my trap usage to the highest degree, since military is more fun.

I use cage traps to try to capture interesting creatures (GCS, arachnae and forest spiders, mainly)

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:56 am »

Now you're safe. Except for kobolds (avoid traps) and elves (can't kill 'friendly' people).
Unless they're unconscious.  An elven trader with a goblin crossbow blot in his thigh passed out on top of one of my overkill weapon traps, and a sawblade sliced him clean in half.  The same will happen to injured and unconscious dwarfs too, so be careful about how close you place them to each other.  A dense trap field will always pick up the odd friendly casualty as well.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:18 am »

I tend to use them mostly at junctions and other chokepoints inside the fortress itself, where they'll only be tripped if the gates fall or by dwarves who are going postal. They're as good a way as any of using up surplus stone.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »

IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:32:48 pm by Bronimin »

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:22:21 am »

Unless they're unconscious.  An elven trader with a goblin crossbow blot in his thigh passed out on top of one of my overkill weapon traps, and a sawblade sliced him clean in half.  The same will happen to injured and unconscious dwarfs too, so be careful about how close you place them to each other.  A dense trap field will always pick up the odd friendly casualty as well.
considering I left production unchecked and have over 100 coffins, friendly casualties don't matter. also have waterfall.

Pages: [1] 2 3