Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello! New player with some comments and questions.  (Read 1714 times)

zeki692

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hello! New player with some comments and questions.
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:12 am »

Long forum topic... My bad.

But anyway, Hello Bay 12! Been playing DF for about a week so far and I'm loving every moment of it. However, I've got some questions for you all.
  • If I don't have a civilization listed in the civilization screen, will I still get migrants.
  • Why does every Joe Blow dwarf have to be named Urist McWhateverNeeded?

Thats all.  :P

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! New player with some comments and questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:11 am »

I'll answer 2

Urist McMiner is easy than saying The dwarf is a miner and a dwarf.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:39:41 am »

• If I don't have a civilization listed in the civilization screen, will I still get migrants.
  • Why does every Joe Blow dwarf have to be named Urist McWhateverNeeded?
1: I'm not sure, so I may be wrong, but I think that means your entire civilization is gone, which means you will get migrants; one wave of them. In other words, you're on your own after the first wave.
2: They don't need to be named Urist. It's just a generic name that people use it whenever they either can't be bothered to find out the real name of the dwarf, or they are insulting a dwarf's stupidity.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:42:18 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

zeki692

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:54:12 am »

Alright, my next question is how much can one tile hold? For example, if I make a quantum stockpile one tile by one tile, how much junk can it hold before it is full?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:56:10 am »

Alright, my next question is how much can one tile hold?
Infinity.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

zeki692

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:59:39 am »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:02:04 am »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.
No, really, try opening Arena mode and spawn a thousand dragons on one square.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:34:01 am »

They don't need to be named Urist. It's just a generic name that people use it whenever they either can't be bothered to find out the real name of the dwarf, or they are insulting a dwarf's stupidity.

Stupidity? No sir! Can't you see? It's divine simplicity!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:49:53 am »

To provide more information regarding the civilizations screen:
You will always SEE the dwarven civilization on that screen.  BUT, if there are no significant leaders, it means the dwarven civ is dead, and you'll only get the first 2 migrant waves and no more, and you won't get traders.
Now, as for the other civs (commonest being human, elf, goblin, kobold).  Not seeing them on the list doesn't mean anything specific.  It could mean you haven't met them yet.  After you meet them, they'll show up.  Or it could mean that they don't exist.  Or it could mean that you embarked in an area where they cannot reach you (like an island).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:31:08 am »

They don't need to be named Urist. It's just a generic name that people use it whenever they either can't be bothered to find out the real name of the dwarf, or they are insulting a dwarf's stupidity.

Stupidity? No sir! Can't you see? It's divine simplicity!

Divine simplicity does not cause dwarves to fall asleep in magma channels.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zeki692

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:13 am »

To provide more information regarding the civilizations screen:
You will always SEE the dwarven civilization on that screen.  BUT, if there are no significant leaders, it means the dwarven civ is dead, and you'll only get the first 2 migrant waves and no more, and you won't get traders.
Now, as for the other civs (commonest being human, elf, goblin, kobold).  Not seeing them on the list doesn't mean anything specific.  It could mean you haven't met them yet.  After you meet them, they'll show up.  Or it could mean that they don't exist.  Or it could mean that you embarked in an area where they cannot reach you (like an island).

Well, the whole reason I asked this question was because I did in fact have a fortress where the civ screen was blank. Nothing listed whatsoever.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:37 am »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.
That is still far from infinity. I'd say limited by your programmer's code and computer memory.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:50 pm »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.
That is still far from infinity. I'd say limited by your programmer's code and computer memory.
True, but it might as well be infinity as either your computer or DF would likely crash or freeze before you reached the limit.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:53:07 am »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.
If we are being pedantic here, surely one thousand is just as far away from infinity as one million is ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:29 am »

Infinity?
Blasphemy, I say.
If we are being pedantic here, surely one thousand is just as far away from infinity as one million is ?

Yeah, I guess.
Urist is a meme, So, basically a trend that starts on the internet. Personally, whenever I have a dwarf named Urist in my fort, I let him keep his name, and put him in a place of power with no responsibility. So a hauler with a royal bedroom, that doesn't haul. For some reason I can't get on the wiki, otherwise I'd link you, I'm 99% sure the origins are in there somewhere. Also it means Dagger, in Dwarf.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: [1] 2