Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about the RAW files.  (Read 958 times)

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about the RAW files.
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:32:52 am »

Ok, I've looked (but honestly Its probably somewhere obvious and I just missed it) but I was wondering, do the raw files have to exist as they do now?  Could I re organize all the raw files and make new ones as long as nothing is duplicated?  Or would this break things?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about the RAW files.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:57:07 am »

No, yes, no.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:14:30 am »

No, yes, no.

EEHHHHH 1 of those 3 is incorrect, if the raw files didn't exist as they did now, then there would be no data for ANYTHING so the game would crash and burn/die, remember kiddies, NEVER DELETE YOUR RAW FOLDER! have a nice day ^-^

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:27:55 am »

If you delete your RAW folder, you can just make a new one.

What do you think all the total conversion mods do?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:04 am »

Thanks everyone!  That's all I needed to know in order to work on what I wanted to work on.   8)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:29 am »

If you delete your RAW folder, you can just make a new one.

What do you think all the total conversion mods do?

they delete the raw folder and place theirs in, then gen the world, but if you try to start a game without a RAW folder, it would most likely crash, (as far as my knowledge goes(gonna test this quickly :D))

edit: hitting "make a new world" without a RAW folder crashes the game (tested on 0.31.12)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:35:34 am by magistrate101 »

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:53:03 am »

they delete the raw folder and place theirs in, then gen the world, but if you try to start a game without a RAW folder, it would most likely crash, (as far as my knowledge goes(gonna test this quickly :D))...

Btw, (s)he didn't ask if you can play with NO RAWS.  He asked if he could re-organise them and play that way, and the answer is a big yes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:49:26 am »

There's just one little thing. If, for example, you have a file full of creature raws, that file's filename has to start with "creature". For example, creature_mod.txt, creature_hyenas.txt, creature_giant_haunted_pants.txt. Same with the rest of the raws; material template files have to start with "material," items have to start with "item," inorganics have to start with "inorganic."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:52:24 am »

On that note, the filename should be put in the file itself, at the very top (no, I'm not sure why this is necessary either, but files won't work correctly without it. Validation, maybe?).

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »

I think it's a comment indicating which raw file it is by its contents?

Or at least that's what I thought; if it breaks files to not have it that suggests otherwise.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:45 pm »

In 40d in filename had to be at the top, but in the new versions this seems to no longer be the case:  when I forget it/forget to change it after renaming a file, everything still works.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

You need to have the [OBJECT:foo] tag though. I accidentally had a world with no trade because nobody had domestic animals. ;_;
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »

they delete the raw folder and place theirs in, then gen the world, but if you try to start a game without a RAW folder, it would most likely crash, (as far as my knowledge goes(gonna test this quickly :D))...

Btw, (s)he didn't ask if you can play with NO RAWS.  He asked if he could re-organise them and play that way, and the answer is a big yes.

do the raw files have to exist as they do now?

hmmmm WRONG they DO have to exist as they do now, but you CAN reorganize them as long as you don't put them in sub-folders within the objects folder