Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst FPS forts?  (Read 1391 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst FPS forts?
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:13:58 pm »

I started a new fort today at the point where a river went into a lake, and curiously another river flowed out.  I thought it was pretty cool to have both flowing and stagnant freshwater, and was going to make a fort that's entrance was in the middle of the lake.  It wasn't so bad when I started, since everything was frozen over.  But when it all thawed, my computer just couldn't handle it and took a few minutes to load each frame.  I had to force quit out.

Another time, I accidentally flooded the world when I opened up an aquifier.  That fort went from 15-20 fps to 6.

What are some of your forts that have had the worst FPS?  It could be because of features, a single event that killed the game, or because it was such a big zone.  Or whatever else.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Worst FPS forts?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:26:46 pm »

I once embarked on a site that was the edge of a mesa, with a high flat plateau to the north and a steeply descending hillside to lowlands to the south.  A river curved through one corner of the north side of the map.  I dug out a fortress inside the hill, and then decided that it would be nice to have a river running through the main hall.  I dug a nice channel that exited out the side of the hill above the valley below.  I let water flow in, and soon afterward abandoned the site.  The water pouring out into the valley drove the FPS into the unplayable range, and I hadn't thought to make any way to shut it off once it had started.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »

yeah, any time there are massive amounts of water or magma around, and especially when they are separated either by only floors or single tile walls. that kills fps very quickly

but its awesome to wall of a sea with ice, dig around the map edge, cover that with water, then dig out the level above it and fill it with magma.
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:32:39 pm »

Thermonuclear catsplosion, to put it in the wiki's words.  Never embark with opposite-gender cats.

That aside, I also flooded the hidden fun zone with magma from the magma sea once, that was fun...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »

At the end of my last 40d fort, I was about forty years in, had around 180 dwarves, and had built a smorgasboard of juicy tunnels, labrynths, and structures into a 100-z-level mountain (including a 100-z-level tower). At the end it was so slow I set dwarfspeed to zero so I could build stuff faster, but the game didn't like it so the effect was that the dwarves moved at the same speed but everything else was slowed way down, matrix-style.

Unfortunately I don't know how slow I was going because the FPS counter can't display numbers between 0 and 1.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:11:57 pm »

Attempted to make a dorfputer-run auto-collapse trap(pumps up magma to one level, water to the next. Combines them and retracts all bridges when something Undesirable is beneath)

Unfortunately, I decided it'd be cool to have the water parts of it jet out into 30-odd waterfalls alternating between masterwork statues of famous military dwarfs that drained down into the aquifer I was tapping for this.  Just to show off.  And to close the mass of hatches at the bottom for a great impromptu drowning trap if anything ever somehow survived the crusher.  (or maybe just to clean off all the blood.)  Turned it on, and saved my glorious work, my hubris saying that such works deserved to be preserved immediately.

Fps was so damn low I couldn't even turn the pumps off to fix my stupidity.  I have a 2.3ghz dual core (one core dedicated to dorf fort by affinity) and 4 gigs of ram.  First fort I ever abandoned to the fps monster.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »

As long as you have a cage and the presence of mind to assign kittens to cages when they appear, cats can be a highly useful emergency food reserve

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »

The MEGADORF was sitting at 3 fps for a long time, I set all the dwarves to speed 1 because it was pretty much impossible to get anything done. I have since upgraded my processor and now sit at a nice 6 fps, WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

roger123275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 04:26:27 am »

Thermonuclear catsplosion, to put it in the wiki's words.  Never embark with opposite-gender cats.

That aside, I also flooded the hidden fun zone with magma from the magma sea once, that was fun...

Actually, that's just a catsplosion. Thermonuclear is when you mod them to explode.
It gave me 56 dwarves to reclaim with... I'm hoping the game is just being nice to me...
Good job Roger!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 05:06:04 am »

Actually, that's just a catsplosion. Thermonuclear is when you mod them to explode.

Oh.  I just thought thermonuclear is what happened when I accidentally set them on fire when trying to make a magma waterfall and set a coal stock on fire.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 05:57:23 am »

A succession fort on a 5x7 mountainous area with 80 or so dwarves (back in 40d).

20 FPS, with pretty much no one doing anything.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:33 am »

What are some of your forts that have had the worst FPS?  It could be because of features, a single event that killed the game, or because it was such a big zone.  Or whatever else.

0-1 FPS, 178 dorfs with a king. With 300 or so creatures, mostly in cages but things started to go downhill ever since I started to kill goblins with weapons traps and dwarves instead of caging them, making the mistake of giving them a chance to bleed. Now down to 0-1 FPS now during sieges, otherwise steady 1, occasionally rarely maybe 2. Game year 9-10. Game is going very nicely, but it takes IRL about one week to play a year, so not going there anymore.

1-3 FPS @ 60 dorf outfit, with largeish area but good perforamance until bloodshed happened and a couple years went by during which said blood spread around. Game year 4-5. There's some water flow in the area too and FPS has been breached, but this doesn't appear to have caused much problems performance wise as the same waterflows have been ongoing since the very start of the game so FPS hit hasn't been due to them. Again, slowdown seems to have been preceded by the first ichor/vomit/bloodshed that starts some out of control spiraling FPS loss to happen as contaminant spreading happens over a year or two and gets everywhere and then the FPS goes steadily down. I place the blame on any *named* contaminants that provide Genetic markers and information as to who bled or vomited them. Anonymizing bloodshed, ichors and vomits might help the FPS a bit, but getting rid of sticky and multiplying contaminants too altogether might be the smarter move and save lots of performance woes.

A few 2-5 FPS forts of 50-80 dorfs that I outright abandoned due to FPS going down to 2, which I blame on massive bloodshed. The sites not being very interesting to play, I abandoned.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 08:41:10 am »

0-1 FPS, 178 dorfs with a king. With 300 or so creatures, mostly in cages but things started to go downhill ever since I started to kill goblins with weapons traps and dwarves instead of caging them, making the mistake of giving them a chance to bleed. Now down to 0-1 FPS now during sieges, otherwise steady 1, occasionally rarely maybe 2. Game year 9-10. Game is going very nicely, but it takes IRL about one week to play a year, so not going there anymore.

1-3 FPS @ 60 dorf outfit, with largeish area but good perforamance until bloodshed happened and a couple years went by during which said blood spread around. Game year 4-5. There's some water flow in the area too and FPS has been breached, but this doesn't appear to have caused much problems performance wise as the same waterflows have been ongoing since the very start of the game so FPS hit hasn't been due to them. Again, slowdown seems to have been preceded by the first ichor/vomit/bloodshed that starts some out of control spiraling FPS loss to happen as contaminant spreading happens over a year or two and gets everywhere and then the FPS goes steadily down. I place the blame on any *named* contaminants that provide Genetic markers and information as to who bled or vomited them. Anonymizing bloodshed, ichors and vomits might help the FPS a bit, but getting rid of sticky and multiplying contaminants too altogether might be the smarter move and save lots of performance woes.

A few 2-5 FPS forts of 50-80 dorfs that I outright abandoned due to FPS going down to 2, which I blame on massive bloodshed. The sites not being very interesting to play, I abandoned.

And you could likely fix all of that with dwarf hack, which I hear has script to remove blood.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:46:58 am »

This one didn't run very well, although the only reason I had the fort in the first place is so that I could let the clowns out on the humans.   I'm sure it would have been even worse if I had tried to run even a modest fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 06:24:29 pm »

This one didn't run very well, although the only reason I had the fort in the first place is so that I could let the clowns out on the humans.   I'm sure it would have been even worse if I had tried to run even a modest fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, last time I embarked on a town it was elves, so I just built a small above-ground compound for the dorfs and then breached the circus.  FPS died after that