Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fey Mood and can't find stone?  (Read 2484 times)

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fey Mood and can't find stone?
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

Since I loaded the latest version 0.31.13 I've had two fey moods. One was a Tanner and he developed melancholy and died of thirst. There wasn't a Tanner shop but we built him one and got some hides but he never took over the shop. The second was a Mason and he took over a Masonry Shop and started demanding stone until he went nuts and started killing people. The Tanner I didn't think much of but how can a Mason not find stone? There is stone every where and the Masonry shop has been up and running since almost the beginning. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: Fey Mood and can't find stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »

I had this happen because I was dumping stone rather than stockpiling it. Make sure to have at least a small stockpile.

I also noticed that they sometimes they won't move on the next object if they want more of a certain item than you have. I.E. he wants bones and hides. He collects 1 bone and won't collect hides even though you have them. The problem being that he is waiting for more bones to become available.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »

I had this happen because I was dumping stone rather than stockpiling it. Make sure to have at least a small stockpile.

I also noticed that they sometimes they won't move on the next object if they want more of a certain item than you have. I.E. he wants bones and hides. He collects 1 bone and won't collect hides even though you have them. The problem being that he is waiting for more bones to become available.

This is correct, hit [t] and select the building your dwarf has claimed. For every 2? seconds the desire message is displayed they want one unit of the item desired. For example: Urist McPossesed draws pictures of trees (displayed for 10 seconds). Means the dwarf needs 5 logs of wood.

If he also requires gems and is displaying the gems message AFTER the logs message but only has 4 logs then he will not go gather the gems until he has all 5 logs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »

If he also requires gems and is displaying the gems message AFTER the logs message but only has 4 logs then he will not go gather the gems until he has all 5 logs.
Actually, while this was definitely the case back in 40d, I've observed that moody dwarves in 0.31.xx will collect their materials in the exact order stated, even if multiple materials are of the same type.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

Actually, while this was definitely the case back in 40d, I've observed that moody dwarves in 0.31.xx will collect their materials in the exact order stated, even if multiple materials are of the same type.

I'm confused how is that a different case than I described? Did something change in 31?

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:27:33 pm »

There was stone every where I'm not that neat and I don't dump all the stone lying in the halls. I just had another Fey mood and he took over the exact same Mason shop and he built a grate out of jewel from the stock pile. I only stockpile jewels, metal and economic stones. Does the exact type of stone he wants need to be in a stockpile?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:28:51 pm »

There was stone every where I'm not that neat and I don't dump all the stone lying in the halls. I just had another Fey mood and he took over the exact same Mason shop and he built a grate out of jewel from the stock pile. I only stockpile jewels, metal and economic stones. Does the exact type of stone he wants need to be in a stockpile?

ASAIK dwarves don't select a specific type of material, just a category of material. The only exception to this is (or was) a string suggesting they wanted cloth that was identical in both instances of plant fiber and silk cloth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »

No, dwarves can want specific materials as well. If they have a particular fondness for, say, lead or steel they can want ONLY lead or steel bars. You won't know this, he will just ask for metal bars, but he will only take the specific material he wants.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:33:13 pm »

Ive actually had them mention the metal they wanted (sttel bars). however as he had already collected them by the point i noticed I don't know if that contributed
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:38:03 pm »

Gutanoth, I think part of your sig was cut off. Shouldn't it say to increment the generation number by 1?

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »

damn, I didn't notice. FTL! now just to work out how to keep the whole thing below 500 letters.

or just remove that part altogether

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:51:30 pm »

Actually, I was referring to the behavior of a dwarf asking for something like "metal bars, wood logs, wood logs, rough gems, wood logs" - in 40d, the dwarf would collect 1 metal bar, 3 wood logs, then 1 rough gem, while in 0.31 the dwarf would collect 1 metal bar, 2 wood logs, 1 rough gem, and then the 3rd wood log.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »

Since I loaded the latest version 0.31.13 I've had two fey moods. One was a Tanner and he developed melancholy and died of thirst. There wasn't a Tanner shop but we built him one and got some hides but he never took over the shop.
No fey mood ever uses a tanner's shop. He wanted a craftsdwarfshop unless he had some other moodable skill.

By the way, you're sure it was "rock" and not "rock bars" that the 2nd guy wanted?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 06:58:47 pm »

they don't seem to list them in any particular order from what I've gathered. At least he didn't say he only needed 1 piece of glass, then eventually having 5 pieces in his furnace (without me messing about whats in there), like my glass maker did. When I didn't have a glass industry set up. Only by me leaving the make glass on repeat in order to get rid of spare sand he manage to collect that amount.

The tanner most likely would have wanted a leatherworker's shop

and it was a mason, and the dwarf picks a material they would be capable of using in that shop, so its unlikely he wanted rock bars.

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »

The announcements are long gone but I thought he wanted "stone".
Pages: [1] 2