Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get dwarves swimming?  (Read 855 times)

Cr2O4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get dwarves swimming?
« on: September 18, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »

The DF Wiki says that to get dwarves' swimming level up, you should station them in an area that is constantly 4-6/7 deep. However, whenever I try to get my dwarves to stand there, even using military orders, they won't. Burrows and meeting halls aren't helping. Should the wiki be updated or am I doing something wrong?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarves swimming?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »

Put them in the room, then add the water.

Cr2O4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:09:29 pm »

I tried that. They just hop it out of the water as soon as it becomes the right level for learning swimming.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »

Lock them in.

Or make a room with equal amount 3/7 and 4/7. That might work.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

Dwarfs will never stand or path through deep water if they have a choice, even if they're legendary swimmers modded to be [AMPHIBIOUS]. Locking them in is the only way to keep them there.

Cr2O4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:14:55 pm »

Okay, thanks. Now to see how in the world I'm going to lock them in...

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »

Try using a door. And locking it.
... hint hint.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:28 pm »

a hatch would work too right?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:19:36 pm »

The DF Wiki says that to get dwarves' swimming level up, you should station them in an area that is constantly 4-6/7 deep. However, whenever I try to get my dwarves to stand there, even using military orders, they won't. Burrows and meeting halls aren't helping. Should the wiki be updated or am I doing something wrong?
My dorfs are over enthusiastic about swimming, so much so that immigrants usually choose to jump into a waterfall and dive into my fortress meeting area through the sewers.

Unfortunately, this has also applied to many a merchant caravan too, who dump their wares in the process either by coming in through the sewers or leaving through them.

I so wish some fish would deal with the eternally floating mountain of corpses, but so far just rats...

Anyway, all my dorfs are dabbling swimmers just from diving and swimming 5-6 paces to my fort. Oh, and children usually drown in the attempt.

For military, just station them somewhere where they can only get by swimming a bit?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 05:26:26 am »

My dorfs are over enthusiastic about swimming, so much so that immigrants usually choose to jump into a waterfall and dive into my fortress meeting area through the sewers.

Unfortunately, this has also applied to many a merchant caravan too, who dump their wares in the process either by coming in through the sewers or leaving through them.

I so wish some fish would deal with the eternally floating mountain of corpses, but so far just rats...

Anyway, all my dorfs are dabbling swimmers just from diving and swimming 5-6 paces to my fort. Oh, and children usually drown in the attempt.

For military, just station them somewhere where they can only get by swimming a bit?

This sounds like a wonderful way of dealing with pesky babies and children and keep your dwarves clean.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:18 am »

Just curious, does swimming actually do anything? I mean, maybe keep your dwarves alive longer while drowning or something? I've always been curious.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:16:33 am »

Just curious, does swimming actually do anything? I mean, maybe keep your dwarves alive longer while drowning or something? I've always been curious.
Less experienced swimmers 'panic' and begin drowning quicker, inexperienced swimmers can't get out of water without use of a ramp. There are a few things that swimming impacts, but it's not exactly an essential skill, and more just something to use as a precaution...if you believe in taking precautions :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:50 am »

Dwarfs will never stand or path through deep water if they have a choice, even if they're legendary swimmers modded to be [AMPHIBIOUS]. Locking them in is the only way to keep them there.

I would say that is untrue. Although I suspect .12 and .13 may just have a pathing problem there related to one of my fortresses, where they don't see a path available to them and prefer a "straight" path through sewers to my meeting area or Trade Depot. Which is rather annoying as dozens of merchants have committed suicide one way or another related to said path, not to mention goblins, migrants and thieves. Anyway, they just don't see a path available where they would need to take a slightly longer detour above the ground to said place. Shortest path goes through diving a waterfall and swimming through sewers inside.

Unfortunately, this applies to most exit attempts too, even if the river provides no points to get out from and everyone exiting that way invariably drowns. (Except perhaps a bunch of elves who just seem to have left all their trade stuff behind and dissappeared somewhere.)

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.