Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ice 2010  (Read 994 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ice 2010
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »

will objects encased in ice rot? i was thinking of dumping a ton of food onto 1 square on the surface and pouring a couple buckets of freezing water onto it.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: ice 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »

Objects which are encased in ice cease to exist forever.  Provided you can actually get enough water together in the right place to make ice, this will destroy the food.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

Objects which are encased in ice cease to exist forever.  Provided you can actually get enough water together in the right place to make ice, this will destroy the food.

Where'd you get that idea? I've had sieging goblins ride giant olms into murky pools, drown, and then had the pools freeze in the winter; when I channeled them out, all of the items were there waiting for me.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »

I've had caravans get killed on bridges, then all the caravan contents fall into the water and then cease to exist when the water freezes.  Not reappearing when the water thaws or is mined out, but gone forever.  Perhaps it's determined by whether the objects were part of a creature's inventory.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

It works the same as it does with obsidian, I believe.

Everything organic gets destroyed, metals and such will be preserved in the ice and will drop when mined out.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »

I've had caravans get killed on bridges, then all the caravan contents fall into the water and then cease to exist when the water freezes.  Not reappearing when the water thaws or is mined out, but gone forever.  Perhaps it's determined by whether the objects were part of a creature's inventory.

I can confirm that items encased in ice DO NOT cease to exist immediately. I had several miner's get encased in ice while trying to dig out an aquifer (oops). After abandoning and reclaiming i dug out the ice and found picks and uh... dwarcicles.

I think perhaps the water you're referencing might have been flowing and the items are likely down stream some where.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23:13 pm »

The flowing part shouldn't matter, at least with rivers, unless the part they fell in was less than 7/7 (due to the way DF actually handles water flows, eg. teleportation). Still, I can also confirm items do not disappear instantly. I clearly recall metal items being preserved and I also seem to recall getting bones and such out of the ice too, though I can't vouch for that 100%.

Very certain on the metal items though.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 04:45:49 pm »

well, im going to have to try it i guess. perfect refrigeration would be ever so nice
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »

well, im going to have to try it i guess. perfect refrigeration would be ever so nice

hmmm.... meat stockpile without barrels intentionally frozen. Clever. Wonder if that'll work.