Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some newby questions.  (Read 543 times)

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some newby questions.
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:30:19 am »

Hello DF vets , i got some questions for you guys =)

1) Is it possible to butcher goblins or so? I havent got the faintest idea what to do with caged snatchers/thieves etc.

2) Why wont my soldiers train? i followed the wiki / captnduck tutorials but my soldiers refuse to train despite having a baracks/set to train in alerts. hell most of the squad members keep reverting to their civilian jobs. Could anyone give me a step by step procedure how to make a squad from scratch that only stops training for food/booze?

3) What does the C and E mean in the jewelers workshop?

4) Are chainmail shirts worn under breastplates or is it either one or the other?

5) Is it possible to make pressure plates only trigger when stepped on by enemies?

6) Does the material matter for cages? seen a dragon being caught in a wooden cage...

7) Do rivers always have fish ?

8) I always seem to get either 0 immigrants or 20+ , is it just random?

9) Is it possible to make a "meeting hall" for animals only? I'd like my dining hall to be devoid of cattle xD

EDIT: 10) i heard you can "make" high traffic tiles and designate other tiles to be avoided when possible. how?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:32:46 am by Rinkanu »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Some newby questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:49 am »

No, use them for military practice.

Most of the time training is done in civilian mode, so I'm not quite sure about that one.

Cut and Encrust.

I don't know.

They do that by default.

No.

What type of fish? Large fish don't show up in brooks, vermin fish show up almost everywhere.

It has a lot to do with your fort's created wealth and how many dwarves have died.

Throw them all into a cage.

{d} - {o}.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:46 am »

1) Not without modding your dwarves to be o.k. with eating sentient beings. Which isn't so hard, but requires a world regeneration.
You can always arrange an arena to train your military in the hands-on combat situations.
2)Oooh, my head. I don't know. Have you assigned your squad to train in the barracks? via {q} command.
3)C=cut rough gems; E=encrust with gems;
4)Can be both at once;
5)I think so, check the plate via the {q} command;
6)Nope;
7)If it's a river, and not a brook, then they should. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning a bug causing the fish not to spawn.
8)Depends on how well is your fort doing - death ratio among your dwarves and accumulated wealth matter the most.
9)Unfortunately no. You can always pit or cage all your animals.
10)God, where was it? In {d}esignate command menu? There should be an option about traffic in there.

ninjas, bloody ninjas.

ed: re-8), you sometimes start in a location featuring some underground stuff, which automaticaly boosts your architecture rating by a few hundred thousands. This causes immigrant influx, even if you haven't done anything worthwile yourself.
If you've got a dwarf with an apprasier skill in your starting seven, designate him as the broker, and check the {z} screen for your fort's architecture value.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:58:38 am by Il Palazzo »

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:34 am »

1) Normally no, but if one modifies the raws, then sapient creatures can do be butchered.
2) Set them to ACTIVE TRAINING.(This ones requires further explanation, better to check video tutorials)
3) C is to cut raw jewels, E is to encrust those one you just cut to a designated item/furniture/etc.
4) Yes, you got it right, chain mails goes under breastplates. You can put even 3 chainmails then one breastplate on top of that, cool.
5) Using a Lever to trigger it the first time is rather useful to have a better control over traps.
6) Yes, material doesn/t matter for now, a good technique is to use green glass cages, make them by the bunch, you are a god then.
7) No, sometimes they run short/off fishes.
8) Yes, and No, cause it depends on how well your fort is doing economically, as well as other things like if your civilization is alive.
9) Cattle is better inside cages, construct a cage, assign them to this cage. Otherwise use Burrows.
10) Designate them through the Designation panel. Play around.

Have fun, otherwise FUN will have you.
Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:00:00 am by manboricua »
Loving life every second

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:40:25 pm »

2) By any chance have you set that barracks to be a training location for each of your squads? Also bear in mind that dwarves sometimes train while in civilian mode: individual weapon drills.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:10:55 pm »

Just a bit of clarification on a few of these:

4 ) The wiki has a thorough explanation of how layering works.

7 ) Most, if not all, natural bodies of water have "vermin" fish, and large rivers have the larger creature fish as well. However, it is possible to overfish an area such that no fish spawn there for awhile, or possibly forever.

9 ) If for some reason you really want your cattle to stay uncaged in a separate meeting hall, you could make a meeting hall, wait for the animals to come in, set the door to tightly closed, then make your dwarf meeting hall somewhere else.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 03:59:53 pm »

Thanks for the answers ! i really apreciate it. =D

Just out of curiosity , is there a way to make force say a volcano+river/chasm/whatever on 1 tile on the region map?