Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing fish  (Read 1026 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing fish
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:08:48 am »

I'd like to suggest that some fish become opportunistic eaters of blood, pollutants and corpses that enter water and perhaps grow in size and strength or other attributes as they do.

Corpse eating and vomit/blood pollutant eating in general could reduce the lag generated by them and could be used to make the animals grow.

Also, general item clutter created by dead merchants and such could be helped to be cleaned up by more purposefully acting thieving monkeys and such that become more common as more clutter is to be found left untouched in the nature.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

benas424

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSIC_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Growing fish
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:52 am »

maybe not only fish but animals that eat the stuff too? that'd reduce blood and stuff like that outside of water.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:03:36 pm »

It makes sense that scavengers would feed on carrion, as well as all predators feeding on their kills.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:21:22 am »

However if you make things grow bigger with each kill you might end up with creatures that grow huge. This is because size is important in combat (especially animal combat). So you would end up with creatures that grow because they are big.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:23:42 am »

pretty sure that 'vermin' fish (e.g. turtles, cave lobster) can be made with custom workshops.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »

I thought this was a fish-farm suggestion.

This would help. I keep diverting ponds underground to stop evaporation only to have them contaminated with bodily fluids.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:04 am »

I think this would be a pretty cool idea. I would keep a crocodile in my moat and feed it dwaves to make it bigger so it can eat goblins to make it bigger and then it will swallow the whole planet >:D
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »

I thought this was a fish-farm suggestion.

This would help. I keep diverting ponds underground to stop evaporation only to have them contaminated with bodily fluids.

Well it would be usefull for a fishfarm if you use this idea for feeding the fish (which grow then more rapidly) maybeeven with own fishfood. Water plants could also filter the water from containments. Not all fish might thought clean the water from bigger stuff like corpses but piranha or Eels could do the trick here. Heh might even be a good way to get bones out of a halfrotten corpse faster.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:14 pm »

I like this idea. It solves some issues in the game, causes a differentiation in fish size, and gives players options for more types of fun.