Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's the most disturbing and/or scary game that you have ever played?  (Read 3951 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most disturbing and/or scary game that you have ever played?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 10:46:12 am »

Most disturbing game I ever played was Spore.

Disturbingly bad, that is.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 10:48:41 am »

Most disturbing game I ever played was Spore.

Disturbingly bad, that is.

What's wrong with penis monsters having little penis babies?

YOU DAMN RACIST!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

Awh beaten to the joke already. All those one-eyed monsters can be pretty scary if you're homophobic.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:33 am »

X-Com: UFO Defense.

CHRYSALIDS!!!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 11:34:38 am »

i once played an indie game from india in which the point was to shoot pakistani soldiers...almost impossible to miss...chilling.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:27:34 pm by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

I just remembered Pathologic. It's not really scary as such, it's just all around disturbing. The architecture, the way people look, the decorations in their houses, the strange superstitious beliefs and the theatric troupe. And that's all before the actual plague hits, then it gets even creepier. Shame the English translation is broken. Some of it sounds overly dramatic (which isn't so bad), some of it is in pure engrish and I recall one instance of an actual lolcat sentence. If you're Russian or know Russian, then you should play this in the original version.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 11:39:26 am »

Penumbra Overture!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 11:43:18 am »

Penumbra Overture!
Black Plague... you just got 1up'd baby.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 12:26:14 pm »

DOOM.  When I was ten years old.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 02:07:41 pm »

Seriously, Black Plague > Overture > Requiem, which felt really tacked on.

I want to play Amnesia, but that'll have to wait until my computer is fixed.
Shoes...

Choose username

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »

LSD: Dream Emulator was disturbing and scary, I couldn't finish it because of that to be honest.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 05:33:22 pm »

X-Com. I'm a xenophobe in the first place and aliens freak me out, so even the damned Sectoids popping out of the dark made me jump. And that music! Gaaah!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »

I'm a xenophobe in the first place and aliens freak me out

So immigrants scares you too?
Sorry, just had to say that. I assume you use the term for a fear of extraterrestrial beings rather then foreigners =P

Wasn't there a game named Xenophobia? Same as Demonophobia.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »

I think this depends on either the content of the game, or my awareness of such content when I play.

For example, the GBA Castlevania games have great graphics and everything, but when you're adventure/loot-minded, you seem to overlook the fact that that big ball that you just fought earlier consisted of a towns-worth of people to make, literally (Legion); or that one of the last bosses "wings" you saw out the corner of your eye was actually a couple of pale angels bound together by a ring and their intestines.

Well, when you're too busy kicking ass and collecting loot, you tend to overlook the nightmareish elements that are before you. I'm not kidding, I had more fun than disturbance playing the Castlevania games more due to delivering an epic beatdown to the bosses and such and dodging attacks instead of worrying about what they look like, or what makes them up (outside of Legion, I kinda got the hint as I saw blank wanderers walking about; I saw it coming, though it didn't expect the inner part of the flesh-sphere to resemble a fetus when it formed).

I think the games that disturb me are games like Earthbound. It starts off as rather lighthearted and fun, but then mid-game it begins changing it's tone, and then you meet Gigyas. My goodness, that thing is horrifying once you understand what it is. Of course, the first time I glanced upon him, I just saw a red smoke and wondered what the big deal was. Then Tropes and looking at a spritesheet made me see what cannot be unseen; let alone add the music.

I suppose other early games, taking a look at those spritesheets, and actually appreciating the designs of them also makes you realize that the environment was really far more terrifying than you last recalled them to appear (again, I didn't realize I was attacking an X until I really took a look at them some time later). Hell, Final Fantasy games anyone? I never really payed too much attention to those designs until replaying them more recently.

Heck, the Yunaleasca battle comes to mind from FFX. I know about her turning all Medusa by 3rd form, but I didn't realize until that form that all those snake heads had deformed skulls on them. Or what about other games that look like they have some pretty awesome technology for the background and everything... only to realize that it was all organic at a later time.

I guess I can only really state disturbing moments in games, rather than games as a whole. One of the more recent disturbances I experienced was when I played Tomb Raider I (a good one). I thought Atlantis was going to be as interesting as some of the other levels I've experienced in the series. I didn't expect that I would need to bring some BBQ sauce with me however. What in those levels aren't fleshy? Blech.

@Nikov: Wait until you experience Chryssalids, and read what they do to their victims. And even worse, deal with them in large numbers. But I think TFTD has equally disturbing creatures.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:19 pm »

Yume Nikki definitely.

I also remember a Japanese game I was given to me by a friend on an I-Drive back in high school. It looked harmless at first; a story about some kid's life through his eyes. It was a Harvest Moon-esque game with chores and play as "mini-games". As you progressed through the story though, things got odder and odder. Your "defeat imaginary monsters" minigames slowly changed from monsters to animals to people (complete with screaming and blood splatter covering the screen making it impossible to play after some time). "Snack treat time" eventually turned into "pill-popping episodes" complete with hallucinations. Hide and seek turned into breaking and entering and so on.

You never actually see your parents until the end, where they turn out to be corpses tied to chairs where they died 12 years ago. You're not 13 anymore, you're 25; the entire game turned out to be the process that your body became resistant to the hallucinogens fed to you by your older sister - who killed your parents when they decided to let you die from your terminal illness because they couldn't afford the treatment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4