Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adamantine weaponry  (Read 1170 times)

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
adamantine weaponry
« on: September 18, 2010, 03:33:02 am »

just wondering about this, as the wiki isn't exactly clear on this subject. apparently, blunt weapons are destructive because of their weight, meaning adamantine is a terrible metal for warhammers and a wonderful metal for swords (as they are edged weapons) what it doesn't make clear is, what about battle axes? do these depend on sharpness and weight? or are they like swords?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:35:20 am by cikulisu »

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: adamantine weaponry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:42 am »

Even though axes benefit from both weight and sharpness, adamantine's sharpness more than exceeds the loss in power due to its lightness. This is mostly because axe swings are a chopping motion which will sever limbs or just cut someone in half, while sword swings are split between stabbing and slicing. So Adamantine battle axes will result in more one-shot kills than adamantine swords. That said, if most of what you're facing is goblins in iron then the sword/axe distinction is nominal at best when your dwarves are rocking adamantine.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:31:07 am »

well i've just started smithing some armor sets together, as my production is very limited right now. i'll eventually phase in full adamantine to my squads, but it's going to take awhile. thanks for the answers

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

In reality, adamantite wouldn't really be good for weapons at all, since F=MA, and they don't get as much mass nor do you get as much acceleration because they are lighter.  Even cutting weapons are made to have weight, that's why big swords are more powerful than little ones.  Maybe in the future adamantite weapons could use a random stone as a weight stone (in maces and hammers especially you could just encase it).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:38:26 am »

*slade*

Unstoppable combo right there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:07:12 pm »

At the same time, a monomolecular (adamantine might as well be) blade doesn't need any mass, because it will literally slip in between the enemy's molecules and sever the bonds tying them together.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »

At the same time, a monomolecular (adamantine might as well be) blade doesn't need any mass, because it will literally slip in between the enemy's molecules and sever the bonds tying them together.
This is actually true for any cutting, tearing, or puncturing done by any material; the "hammer" object forces the "anvil" object's molecules apart.  A monomolecular blade would just require much less force to do so. 

PS:  Adamantine's amazingness at armor penetration comes from its hardness, and tensile/compressive strength.  this lets it keep a point during and after impacting armor. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]