Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help modding new civ race.  (Read 1514 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Need help modding new civ race.
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:03:29 pm »

Can someone help me, or atleast explain, how I mod Werewolves, or something similer, to be a civ-playable race? Maybe even an adventurer race. I would greatly enjoy playing as them, maybe even a way to get rid of the necessity for alchohal and make them purely carnivores, for more 'authenticity'......and on a completely unrelated note, how can I mod Elephants to be purchaseible from the start? Growing faster and breeding faster would be nice as well, but haveing them from the beginning alone would be invaluable.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help modding new civ race.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:34:19 pm »

For how to make a civ read this http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Entity_token. To make creatures not rely on alcohol simply don't give them the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag, and I'm pretty sure there is a [CARNIVORE] tag. To make Elephants purchasable add the [PET] tag and the [COMMON_DOMESTIC], and give them a low [PETVALUE:]. I hope that helps.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:39:19 pm »

BONECARN might be a better candidate than CARNIVORE - it's essentially the same thing but allows the creature to eat bones as well. There's even fortress mode support in the sense that BONECARN creatures get a happy thought upon eating bones.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »

Would I need to remove Werewolves from their normal animal place to mod this in? And thank you for the help thus far. Also would modifying, if I don't get rid of it, the Werewolf RAW in creature_standard effect anything?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:50:48 pm by KaguroDraven »
Because I can"-WolfTengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:15 pm »

I'd suggest you copy it and make a new creature. Unless you don't want "wild" werewolves, that is, in which case you can just edit it into a civver.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:43 pm »

.....Oh....wow, I'm not sure if this is becouse I'm an idiot or this is incredibly complex, or both, but I can not make heads or tails of this. I mean I understand, somewhat, what I'm reading on these Token pages, but I have NO idea how to use them. I guess part of it is becouse I've never even added a mod to a game before, much less 'made' one.   Sorry if this is aggrivateing or I seem like a moron, I'm just not used to modding and I really want to try and make a werewolf race in this.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »

Did you try copying a similar creature and changing it to be a werewolf? That is always a good way to learn the basics. I'd help more, but I kind of have a headache. Sorry.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:45:34 pm »

tl;dr incoming

Okay. I'll try to run you through a couple of things. Let's deal with the creature entry first.

Standard werewolf creature entry:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First, you'll need to decide if you want werewolves to show up as wild animals as well as in the civ, or if you just want to replace them entirely. In the former case you'll want to make a copy of the creature entry and change the identifier at the top of the entry (CREATURE:WEREWOLF in this case - it doesn't matter what you change it to, it just needs to be unique). If you don't care about having/want "wild" werewolves, you can just modify the regular werewolf entry.

Secondly, there are a few tokens that are impractical for civvers to have; thusly, you'll want to remove them:

- You don't want LARGE_PREDATOR or LARGE_ROAMING as these handle how wild creatures work. Generally, trying to make a civ creature and a wild animal out of a single entry is a bad idea, which is why I suggested you make changes to a copy if you care about that sort of thing.
- You don't want FREQUENCY:25. The FREQUENCY tag handles creature rarity (in part); chances are, keeping it on a civ creature will result in that civ only showing up every now and then.
- You don't want any of the BIOME tags. For civvers, the biomes which they'll settle in are handled in the entity file, which we'll get to later.
- You don't want POPULATION_NUMBER or CLUSTER_NUMBER as they're again applicable to wild animals.
- CAN_LEARN and SLOW_LEARNER; the function of these will be replaced later

Next, there are some vital things we'll want to add so the creature can function properly:

(These tags should be declared before declaring the castes, as some of them are at the caste level and we want them to affect all the castes)

- The EQUIPS tag, so they can hold and wear things
- The INTELLIGENT tag, so they can communicate and learn skills
- MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE immediately after FEMALE in the FEMALE CASTE. This will make sure werewolves behave mostly like other civvers when it comes to litter size; it'll aid against them swarming and killing everything else.
- CANOPENDOORS so they can open doors

Finally, there are some tags that will generally assist the creature but aren't explicitly necessary. You should refer to the wiki pages or vanilla creature entires (I suggest DWARF) for help on these.

- The CHILD, GENERAL_CHILD_NAME and CHILDNAME tags (and optionally BABY/GENERAL_BABY_NAME/BABYNAME) - CHILD is the number of years the creature will remain a child; for civvers, this is typically 12 - you can lower or raise it as much as you want. This is mostly irrelevant without setting growth phases, which we'll do below; without the creature actually being physically different during the child phase, its only purpose is to lock out work and change adventurer dialogue. The BABY tags work in the same way as CHILD; typically the BABY value is set to 1 year.
- BODY_SIZE. You'll see the the default werewolf is size 120000 at birth, which is twice the size of a dwarf. Typically for a civver, this tag should show up three times - one for size at birth, one for size just after reaching the child state, and one for full adult size. Of course, this is only a suggestion - it's the way the default civvers are set up. If you want to make it more or less abstract, go ahead.

(You'll really want to find something to reference for the following; by no means are they necessary, but they will help flesh things out a lot)

- PHYS_ATTRIBUTE_RANGE/MENT_ATTRIBUTE_RANGE
- PERSONALITY
- MANNERISM_*
- SPEECH (determines which taunts are used when someone's gloating over a kill)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

Thank you, this helped alot, I'm actuilly going to make them be capible of useing the human language, and hopefully, liveing in the same lands as humans, war is a possibility.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:36 am »

Now, moving on to the entity entry: For this, I suggest you copy ENTITY:EVIL (the goblin entry) from entity_default.txt and put it somewhere (in the same file is fine if you're not worried about modifying the vanilla files). Change the EVIL in ENTITY:EVIL to something else (again, it doesn't matter what; this is just an identifier and must be unique).

The first thing you'll need to change is CREATURE:GOBLIN. What you need to do here should be obvious. You can add and remove the following item tags as you wish; these handle which items the civ can make and use natively. It's probably best to keep picks. Note that removing shields entirely will lead to weirdness (you'll probably get them whether you want them or not), but we'll deal with that later.

Actually, most of the tags here are self-explanatory. Most of them you can add or remove as you wish. Using the human language is easy; swap TRANSLATION:GOBLIN for TRANSLATION:HUMAN. The biome types can be copied from humans if you want them to settle in the same areas.

Once you're done playing around with the entity entry, you can add INDIV_CONTROLLABLE or ADVENTURE_TIER:# (where # is "number of ADVENTURE_TIER civs+1") to be able to use them in Adventure mode; you can add CIV_CONTROLLABLE to enable use of them in Fortress mode.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 04:17:52 am »

If you keep Dwarves [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] as well, remember to check which you are embarking as. In the embark location selection screen press tab. You will see which species can access your fortress. The one at the very top is the species of your civilisation.

If you want to avoid head aches, consider removing [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN].
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »

I'll just bump this a little.

I have made Goblins the fortress-mode race and it works just fine, exept one thing, I get no invations nor kidnappers. When I look in the civs tab I see only "the mountainhomes", no other civs, even if I literally start inside of a human town and checked whitch civvies is close by when embarking.
So The friendly Goblins comes with caravans and whatnot, just no enemys.

Any help on that?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »

I don't think I've heard of that before. How long have you waited for invaders to show up?

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:57 pm »

I don't think I've heard of that before. How long have you waited for invaders to show up?

5 years and I had no civvs in the civ tab, and met no other creatures (exept wildlife)...