Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wait, they all have preferences for WHAT? (spoilers)  (Read 1978 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
wait, they all have preferences for WHAT? (spoilers)
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »

now, I can understand a dwarf having a preference for adamantine, as they know about it, but seriously, a preference for SLADE?
all seven of my embark dwarfs (tried embarking in multiple locations and it's the same) all have a preference for at least one of the following:
- slade
- raw adamantine
- adamantine threads
- adamantine wafers
- "adamantine"

YAY
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wait, they all have preferences for WHAT? (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:05 am »

Restart. Or have Fun when your elected mayor will demand slade items.

tried embarking in multiple locations and it's the same
Looks like bug or you have just very bad luck, every embark should have new 7 randomized dorfs.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:37 am »

Recently I also had a mayor who constantly demanded slade items. Easy to ignore. ;)

Another mayor had an addiction to siege ammo and time after time I had to make 3 ballista arrows. The stockpiles were loaded with ballista arrows.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:57:44 am »

Restart. Or have Fun when your elected mayor will demand slade items.

tried embarking in multiple locations and it's the same
Looks like bug or you have just very bad luck, every embark should have new 7 randomized dorfs.
they are all randomized except for preference of at least one spoiler item.
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »

Hi!

It seems that you have really angered your copy of Dwarf Fortress. What have you done?
Concerning your experience, it is not a phenomenon I can confirm. My first seven like only mundane things with bismuthinite in one case being the most obscure material.

Deathworks

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »

Whats wrong with adamantine?  :-\
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »

Hi!

Whats wrong with adamantine?  :-\

Currently, adamantine seems to have been improved in its qualities - resulting in it being unminable. So, no more adamantine items possible.

Deathworks

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 02:34:08 pm »

Change the raws and adamantine will be mineable again. It's a mistake Toady made where he accidentally made a certain material property have the same value as a certain hardcoded number (50000000) that deems Slade to be unmineable.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:53 pm »

Change the raws and adamantine will be mineable again. It's a mistake Toady made where he accidentally made a certain material property have the same value as a certain hardcoded number (50000000) that deems Slade to be unmineable.
yes, but this is in 31.12, and adamantine is still at 4000000 and happily mineable. the issue is getting to slade.

pinkemma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:39:28 pm »

Maybe they mean
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »

yes, but this is in 31.12, and adamantine is still at 4000000 and happily mineable. the issue is getting to slade.
I was responding to Deathworks.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »

I'm convinced dwarves all have at least legends of slade from reading paperwork. After all, there's an option to designate a stone stockpile that only accepts slade. It's a sign of respect and confidence that your mayor has no problem demanding the impossible. Blame the bookkeeper for drawing up a slade acquisition form.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »

I'm convinced dwarves all have at least legends of slade from reading paperwork. After all, there's an option to designate a stone stockpile that only accepts slade. It's a sign of respect and confidence that your mayor has no problem demanding the impossible. Blame the bookkeeper for drawing up a slade acquisition form.
my bookkeeper IS the mayor. and the medical dwarf. and the broker. and the manager. and a legendary grower. he's mandating a mix of (and i don't know why) soap, weapons, and adamantine wafers, so i don't want him to be replaced until he mandates something outright undoable. none of the slade preferers have been mayor yet.