Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]  (Read 8525 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »

Pending the results, Tawe will reluctantly agree to go West, but will travel some distance ahead with Jala, doing his best to forage some food for the group. I'll be using untrained Survival, as well as Handle Animal to direct Jala to Seek small game in the surrounding plains, and to Attack any that are found, if she doesn't on her own.

I'm kinda keeping a rough map we can refer to while we explore.

(click to enlarge)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:04 pm »

Jorn yawned hugely as he blinked the sleep from his eyes. He slowly got up and checked his weapons running his sensitive fingers over the sharp shards of his Macuahuitl as he checked for flaws or cracks.

"Humm... I am going to need to ask Thak about a replacement for... for..."

Jorn stopped in mid thought as the fog of sleep lifted from his mind and he remembered the events of the past 24 hours.

He blinked slowly.

"Our life is over" He mourned "Over"

He glumly sat on the hard ground as he contemplated what would most likely be the short remainder of his life.

He then realized what the others were saying, it snapped him out of his reprieve.

"We... We can go to the north? There is food in the woods and the mountains are the best place to find weapon rocks... But how will we survive? We have no clan, we have no family. No one will take us in..."

He then turned to Tawe "You are right. We need food. I guess I will go hunting... I can do that much."

Jorn pick himself up and after checking his prized bow he go to look for game with a +4 to survival.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 04:18:46 pm »

"...and upon that steed, he went as far as did the sky in a day, so that each day he could not see where it was he had been the day before. For two weeks, he travelled, before coming across a tribe of brave-hearted hunters and kindly wanderers, who at that time were encamped upon the river which was the Heart of the Plains, smaller in size than the Great River, but more bountiful than is the entire Sea. It was with those kind nomads that Rothar stayed, and from that river that the brave rider quenched the thirst of his steed..."

"...and, after his stay with the peoples of the tribe of of the lands of the Plains River, Rothar travelled along that river, to seek the mouth where the River fed the Sea with it's vast bounty. It was often said that the Sea was hungry and that it would swallow men who would dare to swim across it, swallow the land with crashing teeth of white-harsh waters, and swallow every fish that the Rivers could bare. Rothar was not afeared of this, for he was brave in his heart of hearts and knew no fear..."

"...And so, at the end of the River of the Plains, Rothar found the stony walls and mountainous tents that were the lands of Ruk, a place of a hundred upon a hundred men, all living in tents of rock and wood and eating plants which their wise-men made to spring from the ground by strange magics. But Rothar was not satisfied in this strange land. The men of the tribe of Ruk were weak, and Rothar sought a true challenge. And so, Rothar sought to swim across the Sea. He never returned from them, and it is said by many that he was swallowed by the bitter-water of the Sea. But it is also said by some that Rothar conquered the Sea and now lives in a far off place beyond..."

Survival check at -2? I doubt it's going to work, but eh. Also, map update:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 05:35:46 pm »

Tawe and Jala move ahead of the group, trying to track prey in the high grass.  Jala soon proves to be a far more capable tracker than Tawe, certainly in the grass, and picks up a scent with ease.  She stalks through the grass, moving upwind of her unseen target for nearly five minutes before she pounces, her jaws snapping inches from the prey.  She chases, striking twice more before catching the hindquarters of a long, slender mammal.  Jala savages the creature, swinging it around in her jaws until it falls limp, then brings it back to Tawe.

All in all, Tawe manages to gather roots and scattered berries suitable to feed the group for the next two days, three with Jala's first kill.  His attempts to catch game are less successful, but Jala finds some rodents that will fill the group's bellies and her own for a fourth day.

Despite his greater skill in tracking, Jorn's hunt is less successful.  Most of the small game he searches for escape his shots, though by the luck of the spirits his simple wooden arrows hit soft ground and do not break.  He finally gets lucky upon seeing a small burrowing creature and puts an arrow through its chest.  The mammal provides food for the group for a fifth day in advance.  Jorn loses the arrow in the process.

Based on your collective Survival experience, you know that the meat and berries will probably go off some time before the roots do unless preserved.  Additionally, you now have two Tiny carcasses with pelts and bones still part of the body.  You have multiple Fine carcasses (rodents) whose pelts, bones and meat collectively make one Tiny carcass.

Otholac's efforts at foraging prove laughable, but the story warms hearts where a fire does not.

Gained
Multiple Fine (=1 Tiny) carcasses, meat for 1 day, skin, bones.
2 Fine carcasses, meat for 2 days, skin, bones.
Roots, berries, food for 2 days.
Tawe, Jala, Jorn: 20xp.

Lost
1 arrow, Jorn's.

Bonuses
Otholac: 50xp for in-depth tale.

[Awesome map, and liking the posts so far.  Grek, receive 50xp off the bat for the tale, though.  Similarly in-depth posts will be rewarded as well.  What program's being used for the map?]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:14 pm »

I use Graphics Gale for most of my pixel art, including the map; it's done on a 32x32 pix. grid, with some quickly scribbled tiles and tokens. Depending on if you intend to run combat with a tactical grid, I could probably slap together some terrain sprites and tokens too.

Also, since apparently Jala is earning XP separately, she's now got her own character sheet, filled out using Dog stats/skills/abilities.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »

Jorn looks at the small pile of food gathered, enough to last the small band for five days... If it did not rot that was.

"It will do." He then turns to him comrades

"Where at we to next? I still believe the mountains are a good idea... but to follow a man such as Rothar... I will not oppose that ether."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 01:46:32 am »

((Nice to see you guys were busy while I was away.))

As the men had wandered too and fro in search of bounties, Gwen had decided to follow at a reasonable distance so that she could keep tabs on them in case of trouble.  As she followed in their footsteps, she performed a search of her own, searching for kindling and fuel for a fire.  She found encouragement in Ortholac's tale and eagerly listened to it's twists and turns throughout the day.  She thought perhaps the situation might not be bad, they were supposed to strike out a great destiny such as Rothar had done.  Gwen usually tried not to think of her homeland and had rarely spoken of it in the past.  But suddenly, she was stirred to remember it and started uttering to Ortholac every name she could remember from the language of the cities or the language of her people, asking him if they had any role in the great hero's tale.

((So an untrained survival check at +2 to find firewood and an untrained knowledge check at +4 trying to help Ortholac remember the geography to the west.))

As the group gathered again to view the results of their labor, Gwen was eager to propose the idea of going west again and was pleased to see that Jorn was inclined to agree.  Eagerly, she voiced her support for a westward journey, expressing her confidence that they could continue to live off the land as they travel and thus make their way west.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 01:57:27 am »

Posting to watch. If theres ever a free spot, give me a yell.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:47 am »

It's hard to recall precise details, but you remember the clan often travelled by the Plains River's bank, meeting every now and again at a place where three trees intertwined, growing over a huge stone.  Treestone was close to a bend in the river, and you think you might recognise which one if you were to get close enough to see it as a whole.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »

Did she find firewood?  It might seem obvious, but they are in a plains environment  Also, did they spend the whole day hunting or is there still some time to travel?  Or did they travel west while hunting, lead my Ortholac's bewitching stories?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 04:12:06 pm »

Gwen successfully found enough firewood for the night, but trees and dead trees alike aren't too common here on the Plains, certainly just for the picking up.  The group both hunts and travels through the day, moving at half speed.  Will you continue to do such for the remainder of the journey, or forgo foraging for a few days to travel further?

[Sorry, bad day.  Fun with headaches.]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 04:46:00 pm »

I say we go with full speed for a couple days.  Destiny awaits!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »

We will need to hurry. The snow will fall within three nights at the very most. Hopefully we will be at the river by then, if we move with great haste.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »

We have enough food for now, so yeah, let's keep westward at normal speed. When we get a chance in the evening, I'd like to try to scrape and dry the skins into hide, dry sinew from the guts, and carve needles from bones. If successful, I'd like to try and stitch together the small hides together into a larger hide.

Also, we need to find a way to preserve the meat. When we break around midday, I'd like to try and find a large, flat boulder that gets plenty of sunlight, and dry the cuts of meat on it.

Craft Leatherworking (+4), Craft Toolmaking (+4), and Survival (+0), unless Jorn wants to help?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:18 pm »

I'll throw in my Craft (paints) +6 to go ahead and get me some yellows and reds using the fat and blood respectively. It's also probably applicable to cleaning the hides, at least to some degree.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7