Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]  (Read 8524 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 04:21:45 am »

Granted on those sheets.  One more to go.  You can have the wolf, but he/she starts as a wolf pup (dog stats) and will age up at a more level-appropriate time.

Mainiac: You mean have Gwen be a Plot Device(tm)?  Sure, why not.  Though as an extra limitation, you didn't forsee the banishing part.  You foresaw the challenge and the fight, and got the impression there would be a great change in your life.  Except you thought you'd win.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:28 pm »

Ach, rereading the first post I remembered about the lost struggle for leadership. Would you like me to rework my backstory? If so, it's no big problem, and I'll get on that this afternoon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »

Go ahead, I'm out til tomorrow morning.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 03:19:20 pm »

Okay. I fixed the weapon and added a tool making kit.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »

bump?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Alright, unless anyone else wants to post in, shall we start with just the three?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »

/in as a bard? Backstory/sheet forthcoming.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »

Maybe send a PM to Lordinquisitor and ask if he is still interested?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:30 pm »

Name: Otholac
Male Human Bard
HP: 8/8, Condition: None
AC 15, Touch 10, Flatfoot 15
Str:10 Dex:10 Con:14 Int:14 Wis:10 Cha:14
Saves: Fort:2 Ref:2 Will:2  Init +0
Skills: Bluff +6, Craft(Paint) +6, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +9, Gather Information +6, Perform (Reciting History In a Mask) +9, Know (History) +6
Feats: Skill Focus (Disguise), Skill Focus (Perform)
Items: Mask, Shell Armour (stats as chainmail), Disguise Kit

Story:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: Full sheet at http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242257

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

Grek, do you want to have it that Otholac and Gwen were friends previously?  They might have banded together as the two fosterling children among the tribe.  Their friendship could work well with the way Otholac provoked the power struggle  Gwen knew that Otholac's stories were important from her divining and this one in particular.  So when Otholac shoves his foot in his mouth, Gwen and Errec are there with good intentions and try to protect the fool, allowing the conflict to triple in size in moments.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 02:59:02 am »

Okay, reworked Tawe's backstory, and tried to tie it in tangentially with the details everyone else presented so far. I've also dialed his age back a few years, to fit the new direction I'm aiming for (he's now 16, which I figure would roughly fit Coming-of-Age in a Paleolithic society).

Tawe is a young hunter with a thin, athletic build, sandy brown hair, and dark eyes. To his tribe, he was never known for being particularly brave or strong, but he made up for it in cunning, speed, and resourcefulness. Even though he was deft with his hands and quick to learn, he had a reputation for shirking his work, since he would often rush his duties in order to find time to listen to storytellers, play his father's old flute, or wander the plains outside the village to observe wild beasts. He loved listening to the hunters' tales, and learned many things from them, not the least of which was how to embellish things, and how to tell a boast from the truth.

Tawe had a particular respect for Kharuk, a notable hunter of the village; he had never taken a wife nor had children, but he was said to have roamed farther into the wilds than any of the others, and had once felled a great fanged cat unaided. The hunter also had a fondness for the boy's spirit, and in many ways behaved like a father to Tawe, whose own father had died of illness many years ago. When the boy was old enough to take on a trade, Kharuk choose to personally mentor him in the ways of the hunt. They spent many a day travelling across the plains and into the nearby woodlands, where Tawe learned how to build snares, track game, skin and tan pelts, and navigate the wilderness. Kharuk also taught him less common lessons about the wilds, such as how to show thanks for the bounty it brought, and how to repay it in kind.

On one such hunt, they happened upon an old pitfall trap, which had long since fallen into disuse. A young wolf-pup was trapped at the bottom, hiding as best she could under a pile of leafy twigs. She had likely been abandoned for some time, and though to kill her might have been a mercy, Kharuk instead lowered a wide log into the pit, and coaxed her out with some of his provisions. He had an uncanny way with the pup, and rather than run off she began to follow them, and continued with them all the way back to the village. Upon their return, Kharuk continued to care for and train the wolf pup, whom he had since named Jala. When the day came that Tawe grew into manhood, he presented her as a gift to him, to act as a reminder of the close relationship he, and everyone in the village, had to the wilderness around them.

It wasn't long after this that turmoil gripped the village. Their leader's guidance had come into question, and many in the village began arguing over who could better lead them. Backed by a wave of support, Kharuk made a bid for leadership, and Tawe supported him as both his student and his half-son. There was a fierce opposition to this, however; though Kharuk's skill and wisdom were not in question, many thought it strange that he had never chosen to take a wife, and that he would choose to wander the wilderness alone for weeks on end, only to return with little food or materials for the villagers to use. Some argued that he was not devoted enough to their people, while others even went so far as to accuse him of being a beast who had stolen the skin of a man.

Before long, the conflict had escalated to the point that the only way the current leader could restore peace and order was to make an example of Kharuk- but when the time came, the hunter was nowhere to be found. Kharuk had likely sensed the danger, and slipped off into the wilderness, leaving the turmoil behind him. Determined to put an end to the dissent, however, their leader turned the village's attention to the rebels who had backed him, intent to make an example of them instead. Knowing that it would only be a matter of time before he too was sought out, Tawe took the wolf pup Jala, his father's carved bone flute, and a flint knife, and fled into the wilderness after his mentor.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:43 am »

Dawn breaks on the Plains, rose and lavender clouds streaked across and merging into the darker blues above.  The plains seem still, for the most part, save the buzzing of insects waking from the rising heat and the distant song of birds.  This is a lie, of course - just below the surface or hidden in the higher grass, dozens if not hundreds of lives are coming awake, flush with activity.  Yours included.

It has been less than a day since the four of you were cast out with barely more than the skins you were draped in.  Kharuk is gone, vanished at the very best, and the promises he held for you have gone with him.  It will be hard for you to win the trust of another clan - if you find one at all.  It is the latter part of summer now, and you have scarce more than three moons to find shelter and supply before winter comes to claim you.

The Plains stretch west and south as far as the eye can see.  North and east, forest borders it, with the mountain ridges visible in the northern distance.  The Big River runs down from them, snaking across the Plains to the west and down to Sea - a place you have never seen.  Where Sea meets Plains, they say, the Settled Lands begin.

Where will you go now?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 04:49:19 am »

As the light comes up over the miserable band, Gwen is the first to speak.  "Otholac, are you alright?  Otholac?  Good..." She inspects her friend for injury, with almost a slightly maternal air before turning to Jorn and Tawe.  "What about you, friends?  Anything more then bruises?"
With the consensus seeming to be nobody is seriously injured, Gwen turns away and stares out over the empty landscape and sighs at the pain of the loss they are all feeling.  Despondently, she picks up a clump of dirt and breaks it into dust and lets the wind carry it away.  Then she turns back towards her companions with a sudden conviction.
"We should stay together.  Our chances are better that way."  The doubt is gone from her voice for at least the moment.  "Come on, we need to keep moving in case they decide to come after us.  We can head west, the people's there gave Errec shelter when he was without a home, they might do the same for us."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »

Tawe sat next to his dog, drawing his dagger across the ground and cutting shallow furrows in the soil. He spoke without looking up, agitation plain in his voice.

"It's easy to think of many days from now, but unless you know the way to the other village, we'll easily become lost. I say we find nearby shelter, and spend a few days gathering supplies. We have no food or water, and we won't get very far without either. Then we can think about where to look."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »

@mainiac:
That sounds like a good idea to me. Current timeline is Gwen joins tribe, Jorn kills the bear, Jorn gets the Longbow, Gwen is educated by Errec, Tawe meets Kharuk, Tawe meets Jala, Otholac turns up, Otholac gets in trouble, Kharuk starts a fight, Rest of the party helps Kharuk, Everyone gets banished?

--

Otholac removes his mask once he woke up, as he did every morning. He smiles and says to Gwen, "I am well. We will be able to travel far this day." He stands, and stretches out, donning his shells, ready to go.

"To the west, perhaps, where the shells come from, and where the tribes of a hundred men are said to live. Let us hear the tale of Rathor, who is said to have travelled in those lands long ago and seen the ending of the land, where the waters swallow the sand."

Some bardic knowledge checks, to find the village that Errec comes from, or the Sea, or a great city. If he gets a success, he shares it as part of his story.

"It was the middle of spring when Rathor set forth into the West on his swift-footed steed...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7