Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]  (Read 8523 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »

Okay, okay... I guess I can get in this. I'll be playing a craven, opportunistic hunter (Ranger/Rogue).

Iituem, you might want to put up some resources for people to help build their characters too. d20SRD is a good place to reference material from online, if folks don't have any of the books.

Also, is the 24 Point Buy starting at 8 or 10?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 01:43:15 pm »

Starting at eight and... here is a point buy calculator.  Remember, I will be accepting the first four full character sheets (all skill, spell, stat and equipment issues dealt with, plus background and goals as requested).  I will only accept more than four characters if a character sheet has a very well thought out background and personality (in other words, well role played).

Yeah, archery exists.  Javelins are a bit more prevalent (Skirmishers, anyone?) but archery exists.  Composite bows aren't available to you, but I'll stretch it to say longbows are.  Horseback riding is also valid - but your horse counts as a 'tool' if you want one.

The druid changes are the same as all spellcaster changes and have to do with the source of magic.  I'll fill you in when your sheet is posted.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 02:00:22 pm »

Can I take craft (primative weapons)? Or flint knapping?

Also I have changed to barb for this, it seems to fit better.

Edit: Also if we take a bow do we get arrows and or more then one javalin?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:03:00 pm by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 02:09:36 pm »

You can take such handy Craft skills as Craft(knapping), Craft(woodworking) etc, if you like.  Craft(bowyer) is a separate skill for making bows (from any material) but woodworking will suffice for arrows.  Or Craft(bonecarving).

On second thought, yes to Craft(prim weapons), which covers weapon-only uses of knap, woodwork and bonecarve, but not bowmaking.  Makes sense, since Craft(weaponry) applies to metal-forged weapons.  Craft(armourer) applies to metal armour (you probably don't have this unless you were from the settled lands), but you'll want Craft(leatherworking) for leather and hide.  Further tip:  If your plan is to use leather rather than hide armour, Craft(tanning) is your friend, though you can do that untrained.

To borrow from the Civ tech tree, the following techs are known to be available to you in the plains.

Fishing, the Wheel (but usually only applied to), Pottery, Animal Husbandry but not Agriculture*, Horseback Riding, Hunting/Spears/Javelins, Simple Archery**, Mysticism***, and Mining.

*Theoretically it's known, but your people aren't sedentary enough for this.
** Fairly rare.  Throwing spears are more common.
*** Druidic animism is the favoured 'religion' in the plains.  Gods are more favoured in the settled lands.

Edit:  If you get a bow, you may start with ten arrows.  If you choose a javelin, you start with three.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

Can I take the tools needed to make basic points as a tool? So basicly a buch of shards of flint, a hard rock or two, and a antler for that final perfection.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »

Craft(toolmaking)?  Of course!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »

Very interested. Would be my first D&D game. I hope there will still be place in 15 hours.^^

Is there some tool to help in the creation of a character sheet? All sheets i have seen so far in other threads were pretty detailed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:07:55 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »

I've known others to use Mythweavers for sheet generation, though I do tend to just make them up myself.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

Tawe, Rogue (Human Male)
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 148 lbs.

Ability Scores:
STR 10
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 10
CHA 10

HP: 8/8
AC: 12
Fort: +2
Refx: +4
Will: +0
Melee AB: +0
Range AB: +2
Initiative: +6

Feats:
Animal Affinity
Improved Initiative

Skill Name:                    | Ranks: | Bonus:
-------------------------------+--------+-------
Bluff (CHA):                   | 2      | 2
Climb (STR):                   | 2      | 2
Craft - Bowyer (INT):          | 2      | 4
Craft - Leatherworking (INT):  | 2      | 4
Craft - Tanning (INT):         | 2      | 4
Craft - Toolmaking (INT):      | 2      | 4
Craft - Trap (INT):            | 2      | 4
Craft - Woodworking (INT):     | 2      | 4
Escape Artist (DEX):           | 2      | 4
Handle Animal (CHA):           | 0      | 2
Hide (DEX):                    | 4      | 6
Jump (STR):                    | 2      | 2
Listen (WIS):                  | 2      | 2
Move Silently (DEX):           | 2      | 4
Perform - Flute (CHA):         | 2      | 2
Ride (DEX):                    | 0      | 4
Search (INT):                  | 2      | 4
Sense Motive (WIS):            | 2      | 2
Sleight of Hand (DEX):         | 2      | 4
Spot (WIS):                    | 2      | 2
Swim (STR):                    | 2      | 2
Tumble (DEX):                  | 4      | 6

Inventory:
Flint Dagger
Ornately Carved Bone Flute
Tame Wolf-Dog (Hunting trick-set: Attack, Down, Fetch, Heel, Seek, Track)

Spoiler: Trick Descriptions (click to show/hide)

Are there any other local languages I can choose from to start with? Also, if a trained animal is a bit much for a single Tool, I'd take a tame, untrained wolf-dog as well. Description and background stuffs forthcoming.

Since skills are going to be important, we should probably plan out the party's crafting and skill specialties to complement one another. I've got Tanning/Leatherworking, Animal Handling, Trapping, and other Hunting-oriented skills.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:54:53 am by Solifuge »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 06:54:25 pm »

Alright, I'll be lenient and expand it.  Other (bonus) languages you can have are Mountain, Forest and Coastal.  Dialects vary from clan to clan, village to village, but those rough groupings are enough to get by.

I'll allow the pet since it seems to be character-central.

Also, character goal and brief personality shapshot, please.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:58:20 pm by Iituem »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 10:38:53 pm »

Bam

Shakespeare I am not but it is late here and I wanted to get something in before others did.

So First yay.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »

Stone greatsword.  Hahahah.  Not sure that's physically viable (what you have there is basically a brittle mace with reach) but why not?  If I might provide a suggestion for a more effective version, how about a long flat wooden pole, toothed with flint shards (inspiration is pretty clear, there) that functionally serves as a greatsword?  Unfortunately, actual swords can't really happen until metalworking is available.

Also - Sword, Bow+10 arrows.  Third item?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 12:13:36 am »

Macuahuitl are indeed at the right era.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 01:52:26 am »

Spoiler: Gwen (click to show/hide)

I was wondering if I might invent a feat called "Visions of Fortunes" to represent Gwen's natural aptitude for divining.  What it would do is give her visions when someone she knows is going into a situation that presents either danger or some bounty or victory.  The catch is that she gets the visions regarding the potency of the situation, not the actual outcome.  So if Gwen and her companions were going to face many battles in the next day, she would have dreams the day before of them both in danger about to be injured, and victorious, vanquishing their foes.  Mostly the effects of the feat would be flavor, random snippets of information of characters or enemies that might prove to be significant, without getting any clarity about who the characters are.  Mechanically, there could be a +1 to initiative and the ability to always win the initiative in the surprise round of an enemy ambush as she recognizes the situation a split second before the attack begins.  The visions aren't very useful about traps because traps are generic and dangerous by their very nature.  Every time a tribesman handled a wolf trap she would have visions of them about to injure themselves that never came to pass.  This feat could also serve as a useful plot device if you want to feed us information.  If you like this feat, I'd be taking it in place of Iron Will.

As an example of what this feat would do, the night before they were expelled from the tribe, Gwen had visions of Jorn both becoming the tribe champion and locked in mortal combat, visions of Errec wielding magic and in danger (which might have happened after they fled), visions of Tawe fingering a knife behind his back and arguing, visions of herself being menaced by the chief and visions of them cast out of the tribe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:24:51 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 03:45:57 am »

Updated Character Sheet:
Tawe the Wanderer
Male CG Human Rogue, Level 1, Init +6, HP 8/8, Speed 30 ft
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0, Base Attack Bonus 0   
  Flint Dagger    (1d4, 19-20/2x)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Spoiler: Tawe's Old Background (click to show/hide)

I figure Jala is one of those early hunting dogs that were more or less domestic wolves. Let me know what stats you want me to use for her, for balance purposes. If all goes well, I'd eventually like for her to become Tawe's Ranger Animal Companion:
Spoiler: 3.5 Dog and Wolf Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:04:08 am by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7