Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]  (Read 8518 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:14 pm »

I've wanted to try this setting for a while now, but since I've managed to inundate myself with ordinary D&D sessions (>.<) this one will be Play-By-Post.  There are a few significant differences to the standard D&D setting.

The first, most obvious departure is that you all start out with Stone Age technology and minimal equipment.  The tech level varies depending on location, but you have heard of bronze - albeit as a strange and wonderful material favoured by the gods.  There are some (major) changes to magic, largely due to the specifics of the setting; the nature of those changes will in large part only be explained to magic users.  Finally, the cosmology is a little different and things are generally kept to an Earth-like environment.  Beasts will exist, but probably not magical beasts.  Probably.

The first four players to set up a full character sheet plus the following extra details/restrictions will be in.  An important starting point is that you and your fellows were ejected from your nomadic clan of about 40, with only what possessions you could carry.  You are now cut loose from the clan.  The reason you were banished is that you lost a struggle for leadership.  You have heard of cities only in wild myths - supposedly containing hundreds of people.  You find this hard to believe.

+ Characters start with clothing but no armour and three items that can be a weapon, a tool or a shield.  No other items allowed; things like rope and tents count as a tool, as do tool 'kits' (so long as they are roughly single tool items).
+ Characters can only take equipment that is of pre-Bronze Age make.  You have no access to copper or iron for tools or equipment.
+ Characters should provide a clear physical description of themselves, plus their goal to achieve in life.
+ Human characters only.  Sorry, the setting doesn't much support other species.
+ See the class descriptions for restrictions and background.
+ Stone or wood items do not get the usual attack penalties for D&D - copper, iron and bronze get +1, +1 and +2 bonuses respectively to attack, before MW bonus is taken into account.
+ Literacy is not automatic.  Skill points must be spent to be literate in a language.  (One per language.)
+ You only know one language, Plains, and you aren't literate unless you spend a skill point on it.
+ Craft skills are important.  Being able to craft things can mean the difference between life and death for your characters.

Finally, combat is harsh.  You have as many hp as your highest class hit die plus constitution and any other modifiers.  And that's it.  You will never raise your hp except by taking another class.  Neither will any of your enemies, but the point remains - combat is now extremely dangerous.  Figure out ways of fighting dirty if you want to survive.  Only animals and beasts are ever likely to have multiple hit dice - humans always have base HD only.  Levels still count towards HD-dependent spell effects, though.

Due to the limitations of Play-By-Post, we'll want to streamline combat.  You can put up to five actions in advance in a post, and you can make them conditional (if I hit, do this; if I don't hit, do that).  Once everyone's actions are in, combat runs on automatic until more acts are required.

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Class Backgrounds

If a class isn't present, it isn't available.

Spoiler: Generic Expert (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adept (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Barbarian (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bard (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cleric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Druid (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ranger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rogue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wizard (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze [D&D 3.5, PbP]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:28 am »

do wizards start literates. they cant cast spells without it.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:13:10 am »

No, they don't, and yes they can.  Setting changes.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:47:55 pm »

So we can be this?

Cool if so.

I will be that, let me make a sheet.

Level one right?

What is the point buy and starting wealth?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

Let's say 24 point buy (because I am a bastard) and no starting wealth - just three items (tool, weapon, shield).  Also because I am a bastard.  But chiefly because you start off with almost no supplies, alone in the wilderness save your companions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:23:43 pm »

Although the wealth is a bit skimpy I think we forget what average is. 24 is about average.

Also cool. I will get right on it.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »

This actually sounds pretty damned cool. If I wasn't already in a campaign, with a full courseload, this would be right up my alley.

I'll think about joining, but either way I'm following this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:54 pm »

Hey, what books can we use? It looks like a Generic class will have a lot of feats so if I am can only use the phb then I will not wish to be generic.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:59:18 pm »

I'm watching this, but I'm already in three campaigns, a sport, and numerous clubs. Even I am not X-TREEEEEME enough to add another D&D campaign.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:00:35 am »

Come on ye wimps it is only PbP.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:12 am »

Any setting-appropriate supplements are fine, of course run them by me first.  Exotic firearms proficiency is right out.  =P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

Interested in joining as a druid.  Are the rules for druids unchanged?  Also, what's the point buy?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »

Joining as a druid. Figure I'll have to play DnD eventually. Mind if I start here?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

Okay, if you'll play a druid, I'll switch to wizard.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:25 pm »

Exotic firearms proficiency is right out.

I hear tell of something called a "bow"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7