Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Cybernetics, AKA: We Can Rebuild Him  (Read 1772 times)

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Cybernetics, AKA: We Can Rebuild Him
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »

It happens quite often, given the rough and tumble world of Dwarf Fortress combat.  Your Ultra Omega Champion of Axes, Who Hath Slain One Million Goblins, Defeater of Tumblebunnies the Dreaded Skinless Fluffy Wambler, gets in a fight with a Kobold thief who, prior to having his head removed and splattered all over the wall, manages to insert his knife between his dispatcher's armor and cripples him forever with nerve damage or punctures a lung, or something like that.

So, rather than have your ultra-champion spend the rest of his days in bed screaming about phantom kobold thieves, why not...rebuild him?  Throw in a workshop that produces artificial limbs, possibly even organs (or enable organ transplants...a whole NEW use for migrants!), artificial nervous tissue and suchlike.

Just imagine equipping your champion with a shiny new ☼ADAMANTINE BRAIN☼ and Slaughtermuffin the artifact prosthetic left small toe, engraved with images of goblins surrounded by cheese and menacing with spikes of soap.

I, of course, have no idea if any of this is actually possible, but my fantasy of having a 6,000,000 dwarfbuck dwarf will remain no matter what.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Cybernetics, AKA: We Can Rebuild Him
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:08:23 pm »

I do not think this is possible, maybe put it in the DF-suggestions?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:08 pm »

More specifically - I think creating body parts is possible, but it's not like you'll actually be able to do anything with them once they're made. Creating full creatures doesn't work either, so yeah, this is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, and will likely stay that way for some time.

As for putting it in suggestions, we had a topic on this not too long ago.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »

Perhaps creating an armour piece which only works on a certain body configuration?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

Can't do that either, assuming you mean it'll only fit if a creature has so many arms or legs or such.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

Ah. That stuff is hardcoded, I guess?

Or is it simply not possible at all?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »

Well, the way armour works is that certain types of armour pieces attach to certain body types - any creature with EQUIPS can wear a boot, regardless of whether its STANCE bodypart is actually a foot or not. For a bizarre example of what I mean, take a look at this kind of thing.

tl;dr Yeah it's hardcoded.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:22:45 pm »

You can always use runesmith and pretend....maybe bump up his strenth to compensate for the cool new cyber toe.  Yeah, I know, it's lame....but it's doable.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »

There might be a way to mod it; I can only make speculations, given that I've never modded or anything before, but could there be a way to set up a task that injured dwarfs do at a workshop (say, "get outfitted with limb") that just does some sort of Heal command on them?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 07:34:35 pm »

Custom workshops work like this: You tell it what items need to go in, you tell it what items need to come out, and you tell it which labour to use. Anything more advanced is out of bounds right now.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »

Introducing the Dwarfomatic 3000, Simply insert wounded dwarf into hopper A like this, a silk rope, iron bar, and a barrel of wine into hopper B, there we go.  Pull the lever and *chug* * chug* *thunk* oh....oh...that is bad....Intoducing the Dwarfomatic 3000.13...

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:37 pm »

Well, the way armour works is that certain types of armour pieces attach to certain body types - any creature with EQUIPS can wear a boot, regardless of whether its STANCE bodypart is actually a foot or not. For a bizarre example of what I mean, take a look at this kind of thing.

tl;dr Yeah it's hardcoded.
Darn.  Well, I wouldn't expect something like this to be included in the main game, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of magic and/or computer technology (electronic computer technology, anyway  ;)). 

On a slightly less ambitious note, what about attaching weapons to body parts?  For example, could a dwarf who's had his hand chopped off or otherwise impaired have an axe lashed to his stump?  That DOES seem a very dorfy sort of thing which might warrant inclusion in the main game...

A more simple mod for prosthetic legs might involve simply renaming crutches to 'prosthetic leg' or something...

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »

[Dang. Ninja'd while typing.]

Haven't looked at the probably quite huge list of suggestions, but thought this would be an appropriate place to bring up the lower tech equivalent of cybernetics...

Peg legs and hook hands.

Peg legs would probably take some getting used to in the form of training the Crutch Walker skill. And, of course, your veteran soldiers would probably appreciate the option of having an *Adamantine Hook* attached to their stub so that they can get revenge on that white whale titan.

Not exactly turning his chest into a cannon, but it'd make for a nice addition in a future version.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »

A more simple mod for prosthetic legs might involve simply renaming crutches to 'prosthetic leg' or something...

Even that can't be done, as crutches aren't in the raws - item-wise we only have access to weapons, armour/clothing, food (only the names/descriptions/quality thereof) and trade goods (toys/instruments and such, and they're really just different names for the same thing at the moment).

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »

Dwarven Deus Ex Machina. sweaat.
Pages: [1] 2