Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort for an anvil  (Read 857 times)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
My fort for an anvil
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »

So, after removing all my starting items and carefully selecting the perfect list of items I Embarked pause and save.  Over the next 3 days I completely layout my entire fort complete with drowning chamber / entry, controllable water system with places for wells, the cutouts so that I can grow it piece by piece.  It is masterful.  I smile to myself and think of what a wonder I have created.  I then save and tell my dwarves to get started.  I build my wood burner and tell my dwarf with the training axe to start wacking trees.  I build my smelter, I turn my hematite into Iron, my Iron into steel and start to build my metalshop when I am rudely told that I need an anvil to build a metalshop.  Well, duh, I think to myself, of course I have an anvil, what kinda dwarf embarks with no picks and no anvil....  As my world comes crashing down and a tear slowly rolls down my face I realize that the kinda dwarf that has no anvil and no picks is also the kind that spends 3 days designing a fort without double checking his wagon before embarking....

So, with my tail of woe realized I must ask you with what honor I have remaining....Is there a tool I can use to add an anvil to my game without losing everything I have already done? Or to hack a metalshop so that it doesn't need an anvil? Or, or, or...  *tear*

Oh, not sure if it will help but I am using DF 31.12 Genesis Graphical (as DT is still not working)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:04:53 pm by Morwaul »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort for an anvil
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:35 pm »

The caravan may bring some. (probably several)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:02 pm »

Aye the first caravan in my game usually brings like 5 of the buggers. I feel obligated to buy them all because you can't have too many anvils!

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »

True, I could wait outside until Autumn but it seems like that would put me to far behind the curve as I would have no defenses until then and my food will start running out without farms....guess I can just build everything out of wood and make an outdoor farm....   Oh wait, can I even build a trade depot without stone? 

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

Yes. Wood works just fine for that. As far as defenses go, I would suggest a wall, at least until you can get some traps or something. You can also make bone armor and wooden shields, so your dwarves won't be completely helpless. Close to helpless, but not completely helpless.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »

You can change an unused reaction in your reaction_smelter.txt file to output an anvil, or wait till the caravan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:36:33 am »

in genesis, i believe you can make one at the smelter?

not sure if this is the case, but double check anyways.